Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"You had twenty years, Obi-Wan...you are a failure."

The Tattooine homecoming tour was great but using the Force to casually feed a dude to his pet monster was even greater. It's so nice having the big guy back on form again in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm digging the portrayal of Vader in his own book but the Emperor feels off to me. It's not a new thing, he's rarely portrayed in other stuff as well as he is in the films but it bugs me every time anyway. It's surprising as you'd think he'd be one of the easiest characters to get right but hey.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Am I racing to horrifically wrong conclusions or is Vader sending Aphra to Naboo to dig up Padme's remains???

:stare:

In any event, loved the panel of him just chilling out sitting on his TIE Advanced chatting on the spacephone to someone.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

He was sitting side saddle...

And? A brother's gotta go with what's comfortable, buddy.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So the new issue of Darth Vader then. Man, my heart was in my mouth when he bust out the whole "do not struggle, it will be quick" thing, even though it's been on the cards since the series began. Space Nazi Sherlock really needs to get airlocked or something fast, he's just too goddamn good at his job.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Vader Down

:stare:

Seriously, that was some Clone Wars cartoon level rear end kicking dished out there. They may as well just bombard the entire planet from orbit.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Makes you wonder why the Emperor had such a hard on for Death Stars, Vader's practically an H bomb - wipes everyone out, leaves everything else intact to work with afterwards.

Luke getting chumped by whatshisface was the funniest thing I've seen all week. Shoulda listened to R2, yo.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bobkatt013 posted:

Then it makes all of them look bad as the worst offenders are Yoda and Obi-Wan, the teacher of Luke. Its just such bad writing that affects everything before A New Hope.

It's not really bad writing when it's the entire point - the Jedi are weak and foolish and are wrong on a number of things, hence not being able to tell the guy standing next to them is a Sith Master, hence Obi-Wan being so stubborn and stupid to completely rule out every thing he's told by one, even when it's 100% truth. And it's hardly like this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time in real life either, people just willfully refusing to accept facts and evidence even when all signs point to the contrary.

The Emperor is only defeated when Luke ignores all the bullshit Yoda and Obi-Wan repeatedly tell him and trusts in his 'lost cause' dad to do the right thing. According to his mentors, that would never ever happen, and oh yeah, sacrifice your friends too. The Jedi were dicks all along.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

KotoR 2 was pretty bad, and Avellone (who loves his shades of grey) doesn't understand The Force, IMO.

It's funny to see this because it was Scorchy's awesome LP that first drew me here but as time has passed...yeah, I just find it faintly embarrassing nowadays, a load of try-hard, edgy bobbins. Retconning Revan into some ridiculous Force Batman with wheels within wheels within plots within plans all along was lame, the new characters are garbage ("wow guys, what if we have Han and Chewie...but evil?!") and everyone takes a huge backseat because Avellone and chums are too busy wanking themselves over Kreia till their dicks snap. And then there's the small matter of what a broken, buggy horrorshow it is to actually play.

It's just wretched and miserable. Perfect EU fodder I guess.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

New issue of Darth Vader is out! And he's being a dick to Palpatine of all people everyone. It's loving glorious.

Fixed that for you. He's really beginning to get into that Empire groove now, just gonna start sassing and choking every mofo who even looks at him funny.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nystral posted:

Best Droid is evil 3P0 aka 000 and a close second is evil R2D2 aka BT-1.

The 3P0 book raises some points like how looms droids last and how often they are wiped and reinstalled with the latest DroidOS. But it does a neat job to explain how a minor character across the prequels is useless for background info in the original trilogy.

000 is indeed fun but let's face it, it's hard not to shake the feeling it's just because Gillen was a big KotoR fan back in his games journo days and wanted to a way to write HK47.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Like there's any way Aphra gets out of #25 alive. She's no Dash Rendar!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Surely she'd have to change her name and face. I mean, yeah, the galaxy's a big place and all but...

In any event, that epilogue practically gave me a flashback to the end of Shadows of the Empire, you just knew right away Gillen was going to pull a Dash Rendar with it. Also, the Sandpeople story owned, best thing about the issue by far.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The wookiee reenacting Rambo made the latest issue for me, especially when one of the Stormtroopers realises the AT-ST is missing something...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What *is* the deal with IDW's relationship with other publishers anyway? Don't they also put out snazzy collected edition versions of notable DC/Marvel runs from time to time as well? Just seems odd/nice that there's a publisher out there who seems to get on with near enough everyone.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I confess I was kind of annoyed when I heard there was going to be another crossover but so far 'The Screaming Citadel' has been great. Teaming up Luke with Aphra and Leia with the murderdroids has been ace, plus space vampire lady has a killer look.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Agreed, the panel with Harrison Ford's traced head cut and pasted onto a space vampire marine body is the most hilariously bad thing I've seen in ages. Plus he makes the Space Vampire Queen look unsettlingly like someone I work with, it's freaking me out (whereas in Doctor Aphra she looks absolutely amazing).

Still, enjoying the story though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's okay, rather predictable. If you're the kind of person who is hung-up on your protagonist being remotely likeable then you may want to avoid because Phasma has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. poo poo, Vader's murdering folks left, right and centre in his own series and manages to come across better.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am loving the star crossed romance of Sir and Joystick Chevron, long may it continue.

As far as Triple Zero goes, originally I figured he was just a homage but now I'm wondering if we're getting a straight up HK-47 reveal coming up. Wouldn't be the first time he's had memory problems...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OhFunny posted:

Aphra is real lovely person. Like god drat.

Ooof, you weren't kidding. We're gonna run out of cool cyborgs at this rate.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Doctor Aphra is The Best. Yes, Aphra herself is The Worst but in a good way, I loved that Tolvan gave her a taste of her own medicine , they really are a perfect pairing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I wanna know who those attendents and lackeys were. Imagine applying for a job there: Sith Lord requires valet and catering staff for his gently caress Off obsidian castle in the middle of a lava field hellscape, apply within

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OhFunny posted:

Hell yeah it was. That last page really threw me for a loop!

Just read it now and that was absolutely fantastic. Maybe a little bit of a stretch but I don’t care because daaaaaamn.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Speaking of A names, Doctor rear end in a top hat continues to be excellent at being The Worst. She's so awful she can even make you feel sorry for a space fash like Tolvan.

"I don't understand, why are you telling me this?"
"Because [once I spill the beans on Vader conspiring to use Luke against the Emperor] they'll ask me if I told anyone else about it annnnnd..."
"..."

Brilliant.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Need more stories with the Monster Hunter couple in the Aphra annual, they were great. Well, the wife was anyway.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
No. All of Aphra is fabulous.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw, I was catching up on Vader and really liking the Imperial architect with the impossible job of trying to design a citadel for him in line with his aesthetic preferences. They could have kept her around for a few more issues at least.

:(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy crap at the reveal in Aphra #25, that was hilarious. And deliciously cruel, especially with that parting burn.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'd be up for that if she delivers an old skool moral of the story at the end of each ep.

"Remember kids, always make sure that you've got a patsy handily placed to take the rap for you while you make a getaway with your ill gotten gains."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Best thing about Aphra's latest predicament? We're not the only ones watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I didn’t take it like that at all. It was more the two most important father figures in his life fighting over his soul and destiny.