Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

In many ways, I think that putting out The Star Wars was emblematic of everything Dark Horse tried to do and why it didn't really work. After 20 some years of putting out fan fiction about minor characters and spin-offs explaining video game continuity, they got their hands on the ultimate non-canon story, the one by George Lucas himself. For better of for worse, it exists, but now that style of storytelling is over, in favor of telling stories about the characters people have heard of and care about.

And drat if the new Marvel books aren't fun and reader friendly. Dark Horse often left my scratching my head and asking "ok, so this is after Truce at Bakura, but before The Courtship of Princess Leia, so what is Mara-Jade's present relationship with Luke vs his relationship with that other Jedi lady from Dark Empire?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course, since I'm not a complete wanker* I don't need stories to "count" or whatever to enjoy them. So long as I'm entertained by them, their canonicity or lack thereof doesn't trouble me.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye for Life!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was the first EU material there'd ever been, wasn't it? I think it just about predated the holiday special.

You are correct. The novel was released 1 March 1978, the Holiday Special was 17 November 1978. The comic adaptation by Terry Austin and Chris Sprouse didn't happen until 1996, but it's pretty fun.

The whole "What if...?" aspect is one of the things I like best about it, and why I enjoyed the Infinities series so much. Lance Parkin did a lovely extrapolation of how Empire could have gone if it was a "cheap sequel" reusing most of the old sets and costumes, rather than the follow up to one of the biggest and most successful films ever: https://lanceparkin.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/star-wars-2/

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Please tell me I'm not misreading anything and that is actually Darth Vader tripping over his own arm into a death pit because if so it's the best thing I've seen all day.

You are completely correct.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye might not be Ulysses or anything, but it's heads and shoulders above, like, Darksabre or the whole Yuuzhan Vong thing. It's probably my favorite Star Wars book, up there with the Thrawn books and Daley's Han Solo Adventures (as opposed to the weird and not so good Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin).