Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DisposableHero posted:

So can we use this thread for any old Star Wars canon or is this intended primarily for the current comics?

I ask because I've been enjoying a lot of the story stuff in the Old Republic MMO and was wondering if this was explored well anywhere else. Books, comics or otherwise.

The Kotor comics are pretty decent. I also read the Revan book, but that was garbage.
And if you haven't played Kotor II, then grab the restoration mod and do that, because it's the most interesting piece of Star Wars media since Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Did anyone read "The Star Wars"? The one based on the original script for Star Wars. If so, was it any good?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I finally pulled the trigger and grabbed all the available new Star Wars comics. I've read most of the old ones, and enjoyed them all well enough, so I'm really excited to have new stories to read. Is there a suggested reading order floating around anywhere?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cool. I'll dive on in then.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

They were all a lot of fun. Darth Vader is super good, goddamn.

The art in Lando reminded me of Dark Empire, but good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Big difference is Zahn's books still hold up, though they are still just pulpy licensed sci-fi novels.

I'm reading the annotated version of Heir to the Empire at the moment, and I'm finding it really interesting. I'm just sad they never put out the second or third one with annotations. One day, maybe...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the characters is a senile old man who became enamoured of the tales of the Jedi Knights (this being when it was assumed that the Jedi had been dead and gone for quite a long time, rather than 20 years) and decided to emulate his idols. His name?

Don-Wan Kihotay.

poo poo, that's great.

Ahaha, look at him, this guy is the best

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 10, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

As someone who spent the last 6 weeks reading every single Dark Horse Star Wars comic ever published, I can tell you there's a lot less stupid poo poo than there is in the EU novels. And most the dumbass stuff from the 90s is at least charmingly janky, which is more than can be said from the novels of the same time - I'm looking at you, Kevin J Anderson.

Dark Empire is still pretty awful though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

...You're alright in my book.
:hfive:

I've been introducing my friends to the fun that is Spliffy-P, Dank Lord of the Sith.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 20, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Have a higher quality version of him then!

Christmas came early this year!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

soooo.

where's a good place to get started with the new comics, as a new reader?

Star Wars #1, and also Darth Vader #1

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah I have nothing but good feelings about Poe.

Did you know he's the Resistance's greatest pilot?

And he's the Captain of my heart.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The Captain of my Heart

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Poe is literally a more developed character and (shown onscreen) a better pilot than Wedge Antilles was in the films.

Yes, because he's one of the three main characters, rather than a bit part.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

He's got about as much screentime as Leia got in EP IV.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

site posted:

Her lightsaber is green so I guess she'll be revealed to be a good guy.

And then get chumped by Vader anyway

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

The worst part was finding out that Luke apparently always wore the same outfit his entire life. Every year Beru bought him the next size up, I guess

Honestly, I'd believe that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I enjoyed it. It made Malak into not a giant chump, which I appreciated.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

000 is indeed fun but let's face it, it's hard not to shake the feeling it's just because Gillen was a big KotoR fan back in his games journo days and wanted to a way to write HK47.

000 always strikes me as more of an homage to Creepio from Jedi Party than to HK47.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ki-Adi-Mundi was actually the main character for a while in the old Dark Horse comics. He had an apprentice who was a Tusken Raider.

About a year ago (or maybe two?) I reread the entire Dark Horse Star Wars run, and I really liked the weirdness of those early (what would become) Republic comics. Nobody really had any idea what the prequels were going to be, so there's a bunch of interesting jankiness to them. Like Ki Adi Mundi having four wives and seven children.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

Wait, maybe I misread but, so, before the prequels even came out Mace and Kai were named in other mediums?

The first issue of Star Wars Republic came out in December 1998, so there was about 5 months of confusion and assumptions.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Or him being the only Jedi Knight on the council in Episode 1, which was then explained as the Jedi just being really lovely and slow at doing paperwork for promotions.

To be fair, that bit is totally believable.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Did you read the Cassian one-shot? If yes, how was it?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

On the whole, the comics EU was less intensely stupid. But you'll want to check out Dark Empire - clone Palpatine, Bruce Willis lookalike Jedi, p-Spliffy, and a giant space submarine.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

I've been introducing my friends to the fun that is Spliffy-P, Dank Lord of the Sith.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, the new EU had actually has a pretty decent track record with LGBT representation, especially as compared to the old (and, let's face it, the films).

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The only thing that's disappointing about this news is that it means there's more of a story than Sheev handing Vader the keys and trying not to giggle.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it went full Rashomon. Just because Charles Soule is usually, well, better than this.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Aphra is very good

Aphra is terrible, awful, just the worst. Her comic is great though and I love her

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

When I first heard they'd bought back Maul I thought it was super dumb but then his arc became one of the best things in all of Star Wars so way to go teenage Cptn_Dr, you sure we're wrong about that