Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The movies aren't even bombing. Solo had a terrible release window, what with competing with IW and DP2, but even it didn't completely tank.

It needed something like $600 million worldwide just to break even and it'll be lucky to scrape $400 million (it probably won't even do that).

Episode IX will, of course, underperform. At the very least, Avengers 4, Lion King, Frozen 2 and possibly Toy Story 4 and Jumanji 3 will all be bigger movies next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

"Because I hated TLJ!!!" most likely *rolls eyes*

I actually liked TLJ but I think the key issue is that a) it tied things up a bit too neatly and didn't really leave much in the way of a hook for the next one other than Rey's final confrontation with Kylo Ren; and b) what people ultimately care about are Luke, Han and Leia and they're all out, barring Hamill being coaxed back as a Force ghost; so c) the best hook available for the next one is "It's the end of the Skywalker saga!"; but d) we already know there will be more movies after that, so it won't have the same "last chance to see Star Wars possibly forever" uplift that ROTJ and ROTS got.

It'll probably open similar to Age of Ultron ($180-190m opening weekend; it's probably not touching TLJ's $220m opening) then have a TLJ level second week drop (60-70%) and never quite recover. The likely outcome will be Johnson's trilogy getting scrapped (because Disney/Lucasfilm will place the blame on the reception to TLJ) and Star Wars movie projects will get a year off to rebuild anticipation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Solo as well, but I think the lesson they need to take away from it is that Star Wars isn't an invincible brand any more (if it ever was). I personally think Episode IX be in the $700-800m range worldwide, maybe $550m domestically, but we'll see.

Edit: I think I'm right but I'm happy for anyone to explain why I'm wrong.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 20, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There, you see, this is foreshadowing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite comics were the "Star Wars: Republic" comics, specifically those which were being published circa 1999 and 2000 and set immediately after TPM. The first one I ever read was about Ki-Adi-Mundi going to Tatooine to track down a former Jedi who left the order and disappeared, and discovers that he's become the war chief of the Tusken Raiders and is leading a fight against off-world settlers who are encroaching on Tusken land at the instigation of Jabba and his other Hutt rivals, who want to start a war so they can flood the black market with a surplus stock of illegal weapons they control. That sort of thing might be an interesting movie.

If they ever decide they're going to do "Young Movie Character Adventures" movies again, the one I'd be most into would be "Young Qui-Gon" (played by Jamie Dornan, of course).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect, though, it was a bit disappointing that Republic (around the time it was retitled "Republic" from just "Star Wars" at least) became less of a showcase for the various background Jedi from Phantom Menace in favour of rotating between the continuing adventures of Anakin and Obi-Wan and Ostrander's big Quinlan Vos story arc with the rare one-shot here and there.

It would be nice to see more of that. I'm honestly not terribly interested in the distant past or distant future of the Star Wars galaxy unless they were a little bit odd like TOTJ, so I was never as hot on the KOTOR or Legacy comics as everyone else (though that's not meant as a knock on them - they're still both good for what they are, they're just not what I'm immediately interested in).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How was the Anakin & Obi-Wan miniseries Charles Soule did, by the way? I remember thinking "I'd better read that one" but never got round to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pubic works project posted:

No please tell us more

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought it was kind of boring, honestly. Obi and Anakin crash on a remote steampunk planet was a good idea, but not very memorable.

My favorite parts in it were the flashback scenes that showed Palpatine bonding with Anakin. I wish we had seen a few more examples of that, to actually depict why Anakin would be so willing to trust him and go with him. Really the only ones that come to mind are the beginning of ROTS with him having told Palpatine about the sand people, and the old Tartakovsky Clone Wars series where Palpatine puts Anakin in charge of the fighters over the objection of the other Jedi (including Obi-Wan).

Too bad. Anakin and Obi-Wan between TPM and AOTC would be a good ongoing series. There was an entire run of young readers novels for them back in 2002-2004.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 24, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even so, I think the only big crossover non-movie character was Ventress, who appeared in books, comics and cartoons; maybe Durge to a lesser extent but he never made the jump to "canon" continuity, probably because they had Grievous to fill a similar niche by that point. I think the video games were doing their own thing a bit; I don't think Sev'rance Tann and Echuu Shen Jon made a lot of appearances or the Dark Reaper got many mentions outside the games.

I also remember the comic book miniseries Obsession, the novel Labyrinth of Evil and the second Tartakovsky animated series all being sold as the direct prologue to ROTS. I remember Star Wars seeming fairly big like that in the lead-up to ROTS, but nowhere near as huge as it had been for TPM (or would be for TFA; it'll be interesting to see if they'll be able to get any kind of hype machine going for Ep. IX). I can't think of any movie in my lifetime that's been huger in terms of all-out media blitz than TPM was. It's been 20 loving years and I still have very clear memories of all the merchandise and everything.

(I might be a bit odd in that I have more nostalgia for everything around the prequel trilogy and Episode I in particular - which I hasten to add I like more than I dislike - than the movies themselves.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 24, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

After the mention of Tales here earlier, I saw my copy of Volume 6 hanging around and flipped through it. It reminded me that Nomad is still one of my favorite Star Wars stories ever. I liked the Visas story that tied into KOTOR II, too.

"Nomad" is the Darca Nyl one, isn't it? That's long struck me as one that seems like it'd be prime material for a Star Wars Story movie these days, doesn't it? Too bad they're cancelled.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like what I've seen of Aphra but every time I look at the character, the helmet and goggles make me think less "amoral Indiana Jones type in outer space" and more "teenage sidekick in sci-fi anime".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Star Wars the longest-running Marvel series without getting a relaunch and a new number-one issue in the last five years?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's one story from the Mos Eisley Cantina one I really liked, about how Labria (the guy with devil horns) was actually a fugitive war criminal and music-lover who orchestrated this overly-complex scheme to get the Modal Nodes a residency at the cantina. It was like something from an Elmore Leonard novel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, while everyone else may opine that we dodged a bullet, personally I'm a bit disappointed to have missed out on a Mos Eisley movie when they cancelled the Star Wars Story movies because I think you could do a fun "22 Short Films About Mos Eisley" thing.

That's the movie Lord and Miller should have been put to work on.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 26, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Labria’s story gets a payoff in Boba Fett’s story in the Bounty Hunter anthology, too.

Oh, yeah, I remember that. Did Daniel Keys Moran write both of them? I know he did the other Fett stories in various anthologies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phy posted:

Fuckin' everyone in the bar that day has a real significant life. The guy in the astronaut suit is a Jedi sensitive. The ladies with coiled cone beehive hair are spies. The werewolf dies either at the battle of Yavin or Endor, and he was in love with the tentacle eyeball monster. Wuher the bartender made the best drink in the galaxy out of Ponda Baba's severed arm. Nobody just had a beer and went home.

Point of order: he made the drink out of Greedo's corpse.

I like the soup vampire guy partly because I liked the Quinlan Vos comics where the Anzati are recurring adversaries and partly because there's one line from the Essential Guide to Characters which is fantastic taken out of context: "Only one man ever complained about Jerriko's high prices. Jerriko drank his soup. The man died."

Edit: He also has a bit where he muses on how he's a thousand years old and hasn't seen a Jedi in nearly a century, because authors had no idea what the timeframe for the prequel era (which I'm pretty sure people knew was coming by that point but nobody other than Lucas knew what was going to be in it) was going to be. Writers wildly speculating about the pre-OT setting is good fun (my favourite is Marvel's Star Wars Annual #1 from 1978 which features a Clone Wars adventure with Obi-Wan and his two apprentices, Darth Vader and Luke's father) and I regret that nobody's ever compiled them in one place.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would volume three by any chance be the one where she kisses another woman a couple of times?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel teases something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

Between stuff like this and the Solo movie, the NuCanon has in little more than a year fallen into the "everything has a super-important backstory" trap where it took Legends like 30 to get that dense.

I think they're about on par. NuCanon started in 2014 or so, right? So that's been around four years. The old EU started properly in 1990 or 1991 or whenever the Thrawn trilogy novels came out and those Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina/Jabba's Palace/Bounty Hunters books were out in 1995 and 1996.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Top Gun posted:

I would love to meet someone that will tell me with a straight face that wendings novels are so much better than the Thrawn trilogy or hell even Kevin Anderson’s Jedi Academy Trilogy.

None of them are very good, to be honest.

Top Gun posted:

Oh and by the way Wendinf didn’t introduce gay characters to Star Wars. Paul Kemp introduced an LGBT character back in Lords of the Sith and guess what? No one really complained because his novel was actually GOOD

Hurr but the people who want to argue with me didn’t even know that because there just a bunch of loving posers who hear half rear end news and just want to try and bully and intimidate anyone who doesn’t go along with the narrative

Anyway, Karven Traviss introduced an LGBT character in one of her books and I remember people complaining because the book was not very good. People didn't generally complain about having a gay character that I can recall; people did give Wendig a hard time about it in addition to his book being bad. I'm not sure why they got such different responses. :shrug:

If you want to be pedantic, Bioware wanted to include a gay character in Knights of the Old Republic in 2003 with Juhani but were apparently barred by Lucasfilm who had a "no gay characters" at the time (something which apparently went back to the 1980s).

Speaking of Star Wars comics, does anyone else remember that Brian Wood series from just before Dark Horse lost the licence where a small group of fanboys lost their poo poo over Leia piloting an X-wing because she'd never been shown doing it in the movies so it was :qq: NOT CANON :qq: that she would know how to?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't heard about that; this is actually something I discovered by reading about the original Marvel comics from the 80s, which introduced a species of aliens who are constantly horny called the Zeltrons. A group of them is seen flirting with Luke and someone slipped a male one in as well, which had to be done on the sly because both Marvel and Lucasfilm had a policy against portraying gay people openly in the 80s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does it matter if any of this is "canon" or not?

You know, I still read my old Dark Horse comics from time to time. That they're "not canon" doesn't really matter. I still like the stories.

gently caress, they were barely "canon" when they were being published because George Lucas would've just ignored them and done his own thing if he'd wanted to make a new movie or a new tv series.

Actually, that's what actually happened and it was fine.

Likewise I haven't read any of the new novels because I don't expect any of them to be any good (I haven't seen anything to disabuse me of the notion - I had a go at Tim Zahn's first new Thrawn novel and all it did was make me realise the Thrawn trilogy was never that good; I just liked it when I was 12), and I don't feel like I've lost out for not following every "canon" thing out there.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite late period Dark Horse books were Agent of the Empire and the pre-Phantom Menace era one with Qui-Gon Jinn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I've said elsewhere, canon is basically a marketing gimmick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Unless you want to discuss an ongoing narrative.

Star Trek and Doctor Who have existed for more than 50 years with a nebulous idea of "canon" at best and people have never had any difficulty discussing their "ongoing narrative".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually here's a post I masturbated out on the subject in the Book Barn Star Wars thread the other day:

quote:

I have some background in intellectual property law and I'm interested in how it affects our own responses to media. While I know Disney will never let the copyright on, for example, Mickey expire if they can help it (they will doubtless have to give up on it at some point, but it's probably a ways off yet) I think it is interesting to speculate on how that actually happening might affect our response to the character. Presumably Disney would continue to do things with Mickey - he'd still be their mascot - and I think that even with other people now producing competing works using the character (let's assume this would happen as a matter of course), the "Disney version" would still occupy the pre-eminent position in the minds of most customers and fans because Mickey is "a Disney character" - he's the Disney character - and their version will always "count" for the most.

Bringing it back to Star Wars, suppose instead of selling Lucasfilm, Lucas had waived any IP rights in respect of Star Wars and let it enter the public domain. I'm not sure if it's legally possible to do this in America (it is in Britain) but I presume it is, so let's go with it. You probably end up with every major studio trying to bring out competing Star Wars movies, because nobody owns the exclusive right to do this any longer. So you might end up with a Disney Star Wars, a Sony Star Wars, a Netflix Star Wars, a Universal Star Wars, a Fox Star Wars, a Pureflix Star Wars, an Amazon Star Wars, a Dinesh D'Souza Star Wars (if he can get the money together there's nothing stopping him!) and so on and so forth. Some, none or all of them might be very good, some, none or all of them might be utterly terrible, but let's leave aside speculative quality for now. First of all, I think this would lead to real "Star Wars fatigue" far beyond what people insist we're living with now, and Jivjov would probably need to be committed, but beyond that, I think people would just end up debating which one is the "real" Star Wars and whether they're all "fanfiction" or which one should be taken as "official". I actually think this would be quite a good thing [if there were loads of competing versions of Star Wars instead of just the one, because I think competition can be an important method of encouraging creativity], but I really get the impression that a lot of people really do care about that for one reason or another. Suppose if Lucasfilm kept on making Star Wars movies of its own in this scenario, without any involvement of Lucas; would these be "official" Star Wars, or at least "more official" Star Wars?

One thing I've observed in nerd fandoms (and occasionally in the audience of normal people who actually go to see movies) is this fixation on the idea that things need to "count". Back when Sony dealt with Disney to let Spider-Man appear in MCU movies, that was reported by no less than the BBC as Spider-Man getting back into the movies that "count" because "Marvel movies" are the MCU; when Disney started buying Fox, people talked about how there were finally going to be "real" Fantastic Four movies coming out of it as a result. I know people who really disliked Agents of Shield in its first season, but nonetheless made a point of watching every episode because it was "canon" to the MCU and they felt like they had to watch it all in case they missed something "important" to this imagined overall narrative which the MCU doesn't really have, but which everyone believes it has anyway. By the same token, I know people who go out of their way to buy comics they otherwise won't read if they have any kind of "EVENT CROSSOVER TIE-IN ISSUE!" badge on the cover, because they feel like they're not getting the "full" story otherwise.

With Star Wars, there are plenty of people who were happy to pick and choose what they thought should "count" in the old EU. There were even helpful "canon levels" to help. Some people were very "Zahn only" purists, others made allowances for KOTOR or the X-Wing novels and so on and so forth. Indeed, that's why some people got especially grumpy about the prequels; they didn't like them but, because they were at the highest level of "canon", they couldn't ignore them (which is rubbish, because if you only like the original trilogy there's absolutely nothing stopping you from just watching those over and over and over again and not bothering with the prequels, but this apparently didn't occur to some people). I knew plenty of people who did that and I'm sure you did as well. But now, everything is officially "canon" so some (not all) of the same people feel obliged to chase down everything because they feel like they'd be missing some crucial piece of this "complete story" which they imagine the entire Star Wars franchise apart from the movies to have. How many times on this very forum have you seen people saying, "I was never interested in the Star Wars EU, but now it's all canon, I feel like I ought to get into it"? Certainly more than once for me.

As I've said before, it's all marketing and it's quite clever and that's why it works.

Maybe I've got a cynical view of it. I think I'm being realistic.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pictured: the last thing hundreds of stormtroopers ever saw:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This fella is still a lot less cynical about the whole canon enterprise than I am. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

Don’t worry, the other article I’m tracking down is real cynical. :v:

Well, I'm keen to read it if you find it.

quote:

Nothing matters, enjoy what you want, ignore what you don’t.

Yeah, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It is interesting. At the same time, I don't think it necessarily goes to my thesis that canon is fundamentally about marketing far more than it is about narrative and fans - whether they're fans of Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, Avatar or whatever else - have never realised how thoroughly and how easily they've been taken in by it.

(And on top of that, I note the date, because we're basically at the point where you can't avoid splitting these analyses of Star Wars fandom into "pre-Last Jedi" and "post-Last Jedi" because it's like loving Year Zero or something at this stage, isn't it?)