Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, interesting query: What's Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm policy on re-introducing things/characters from the old EU? I'm not clamouring for the return of Kyp Durron or the Darksaber or anything, but stuff like Winter and Mara Jade and Wraith Squadron were cool ideas that would make neat books/comics/vidya games.

Is it a full-on "NO!" or a "You can have characters like them but you have to change the names and some details" or a "sure, if it fits our larger vision" situation?

I want the Shadows of the Empire and what you mentioned. Shadows because it actually became a phenomenon outside the fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've only read the novel, but I understand the game was quite good. I believe there's also a trading card of Leia kicking Prince Xizor (who's the sleaziest guy ever; his special ability is being able to exhale rophynol) in the nuts, so that's cool.

I remember toy r us with what must have been half their star wars section having shadows of the empire merchandise, I mean while you have to be a traditional fan to know who Mara Jade is, someone outside of the fandom could know who dash Rendar or Xixor is. There was someone I went to school with who was Xixor for halloween.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so glad Mara Jade is no longer canon.

:getout:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

No one outside of fandom knew who Rendar or Xixor were.

Yeah tell that to everyone who played Shadows of the Empire and owned a Dash Rendar action figure. as others mentioned it was a event with loving ads all over tv for it, kids talked about Shadows of the Empire. Kids who certainly didn't turn into loving nerds like your truly, so I would say it is much more well known than say Thrawn.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 3, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rear end Catchcum posted:

It was the most well known EU thing but that's not saying much. The general populace knows about the movies and that's it. Sorry to say, but if you know anything more you're a nerd.

Yeah getting more action figures to play with and a hyped up n64 game when you were a kid didn't make one a star wars nerd. Seriously would you call someone who played Shadows of the empire and owned the action figures a nerd? Now knowing who Thrawn was made you a nerd.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 3, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be fair, Thrawn also had an action figure.

I don't think I ever saw an ad for him on TV.

Now this I remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcdfK3DrJNQ

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 3, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah if you own Star Wars toys you're a nerd.

If you're eight and its 1997 then you're a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VirtualStranger posted:

This is wrong.

"Are The Old Republic expansions canon?"
"No — BioWare “has created their own universe that is so fantastic,” we’re not going to change it, says Hidalgo."

The Lucasfilm Story Group has stated they have no plans to contradict anything set before Episode I yet, however they reserve the right to do so in the future.

The new canon is:

Ep. I, II, III, IV, V, VI,
The Clone Wars film and TV show
All Rebels episodes and short films
The new Marvel comics (and the Dark Horse miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)
The new novels A New Dawn, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, and Tarkin
Anything else published after September 2014.

If it was made before 2015 and it isn't on that list, it's not canon, period.

So by anything published they mean anything right? Even say rules for a table top game?