Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fett was mainly developed in a couple of short stories by Daniel Keys Moran and some comics by John Wagner. I'd say his characterisation was sort of like "Judge Dredd, if he was committed to money instead of The Law" and a multiple-choice past. That's more or less how he was from about 1994 or so (when he began getting significant characterisation) up until AOTC and you learn he's actually a clone.

After that, Karen Traviss enters the picture and he ends up as an Invincible Ghurka Gentleman Farmer Klingon Samurai MANDO With Warrior Pride who is apparently the guy you go to when you need a fully-trained Jedi killed. He becomes Wolverine, basically.

Speaking of Karen Traviss, does anyone know how she took the news that her stories are no longer cannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Jim the Nickel posted:

So did any of y'all read the Dark Horse Star Wars comics back in the mid-2000s? When I was in high school I was more of a Star Wars person than a comics person, so they were kind of a gateway drug into comics. I haven't read them in years, so maybe they don't hold up, although I remember loving all of Duursema/Ostrander's stories (even though the constant circlejerk over Quinlan Vos kinda got old after a while.) I also remember enjoying how they were filling in the gaps between episodes 2 and 3 with real heavy war stories, and expanding characters like Assajj Ventress and Durge, and telling stories of a bunch of different characters besides Anakin and Obi-Wan. Really made it feel like a galaxy-wide conflict. I was real excited when I saw that some of the old Dark Horse issues were on Marvel Unlimited, but Republic and a bunch of other minis aren't on there.

I don't know about MU but on the Darkhorse app the Republic series was only available in collections. "Rise of the Sith", "Outlander", "Emissaries to Malastare", "Menace revealed", "Jedi in Darkness"' and then "Clone Wars" 1-9

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Carteret posted:

Diamond hosed up and sent out a ton of marvel stuff before the on sale date. Got my Obi+Anni slash fic a week early! :getin:

Is it any good?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm personally a big fan of the whole prequel era (don't laugh) story arc that began with (I think) Timothy Truman's comics where Ki-Adi-Mundi was the main character and continued through John Ostrander's Quinlan Vos storyline. So that was the comic that began as Star Wars in 1999 and was retitled Star Wars: Republic after Episode II came out and then led into Dark Times (which I also enjoyed, on the whole).

I second this, i'm just in the midst of rereading this run, they make me wonder what the prequels could have been like if they had a competent story writer.

Half way through Republic there are a few Jedi comics that tie in to the main story (Star Wars: Jedi - Aayla Secura, Star Wars: Jedi - Count Dooku, Star Wars: Jedi - Mace Windu, and Star Wars: Jedi - Shaak Ti) The events in these come up in the main book so if you can read these as well.