Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Having now caught up on all the series I think I'd order them like so:

Lando
Chewie
Kanan
Obi & Ani
Vader
Star Wars
Leia
Journey to TFA

The art & writing in Lando was awesome. Chewie's was great too. I really like the fleshing out of the story so far on Kanan & the Obi/Ani book, especially showing Anakin actually training & being kind of a powerful gently caress up.

Vader & Star Wars both oscillate between good & too weird bad. Vader teaming up with the scientist thief & the killer droids was good, while dodging his shadows. Vader competing with robo-ackbar & some other poo poo characters was/is bad. Similarly with Star Wars I liked a lot of the stuff, like Han Solo's wife being part of an old con he pulled, but disliked some stuff like Luke fighting Boba Fett on tatooine or the entire Vader down bit.

I hope we get more miniseries, as I think they have been the strongest.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo the art change in Star Wars 016 is amazing. Entire issue was great.

Han & luke's bit killed me.

"But that's more than my bounty?" :smith:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
maybe we will learn where his xwing is in the comic

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

plainswalker75 posted:

I'm a confused by the resolution of the egg situation in Poe Damron. Did two creatures hatch? Did one die? Did they merge into one creature off-panel? What was the point of that set-piece?

I think to be a weird thing. Both were in the same egg. The dark one laser spewed the white one to death.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The new han solo series looks like it'll be fun, the art is good.

edit: it continues to be fun!! Loving Poe Dameron too.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 7, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Han Solo series owns

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Loved all the art in aphra #1. I think the Lando and Han Solo 1 shots have had the best art. Definitely liking Aphra and hope they can keep it up. Vaders art was among the worst aspect of that series imo and the regular star wars on going has been rough at times too. Its much easier to be consistent on one shots so thats probably why they have all been among my favs so hopefully aphra keeps on track.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Thats a fun panel like story wise but its not exactly thrilling artwise? The entire gaggle of idiots with weird cyber implants that get thrown at vader in the latter half are really brought down by the art style imo. I will hunt up some panels and counter examples from what i felt were the stronger series tomorrow.

I didnt like the semi realistic take.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Vader's style is really boring imo its like the base 'realistic' comic style with no flare or style, and the artist had trouble staying on model.

I don't like Vader's shading & derpy faces

vs

Compare the stupid mon cal grevious from star wars during vader down to vader

Star Wars on going is usually pretty good! That mummy gently caress...

So Vader compares disfavorably to Lando's use of color shading...

Han Solo's bonkers colorful situations & art (and hey everyone stays on model like 99% of the time unlike Vader...)

C3PO's HUGE style

Vader is very similar to Poe Dameron on going, because they both try for a realistic facial style... except Poe has Phil Noto using an interesting pastel color palette and some stylization

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

OhFunny posted:

I have bad news for those who didn't like Darth Vader's art style. Salvador Larroca will be doing the art for Star Wars' next arc.

Nooooo get that guy off star wars.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Rirse posted:

How is the Dr Aphra book?

Owns.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Darth Maul is really good first issue, the art style and how they layout the action really reminds me of the 90s in a good way. Maul + Aphra has star wars comics in a good spot right now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Dr Aphra continues to be aces. I love evil indiana jones

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

How did this happen? This is bizarre with Disney owning Marvel and already making SW comics right?

Based on the art I'm assuming these characters qualify as legally-distinct-from original characters and the W in star wars is 2 V's put together

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Aphra is the greatest addition to the star wars universe since the rebooted EU.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The new Vader series is awesome so far, the art destroys the first Vader series

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

OhFunny posted:

Aphra is real lovely person. Like god drat.

She's the best.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Dr Aphra continues to be the very best star wars comic in existence. I really like the current art style being used and the story is good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Chairman Capone posted:

Every line of her dialogue, and even a lot of the art, just make me think someone thought, "Harley Quinn is really popular... why don't we just copy her into a Star Wars comic?"

i dont care!! I love it!! going to get really into hot topic now byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lake Jucas posted:

Counterpoint: thr new Vader comic.

new vader is great, but to me Aphra's exploring way more interesting areas of star wars and opening it up a lot more. All the weird droids & creatures, the junkyard prison, it has way more acknowledgement of human relationships, the force crystal.

Its the weirdest comic which is very good.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 8, 2018

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
In the latest Aphra ... Did 000 kill Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes?????!?!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
no man they're dead and now my CD is worth more money

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I liked the cantina tales book but the tales from jabbas palace one is the best because boba fetts story is about him being volcel when jabba offers him a night with slave leia. #nofapfett

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i love the current art on Aphra. I want an animated aphra show.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The "Age Of..." 1 shots are all really nice. The art in all of them is pretty good and some were really really good! A mix of some nice stories and some that are kinda blah. I really liked the Jango one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
apparently next year! rumor has it she has a secret d+ show already in production that may launch before any of the other announced ones.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Im rereading the old Dark Horse "Tales of the Jedi" books and folks, they're good. I hope whatever future star wars movies exist take some inspiration from the strange rear end poo poo in these comics.

the art womps too

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
master, no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
War of the Bounty Hunters is kinda fun, but also really dumb. Why does Captain Solo belong to Vader?? He let Boba have him! Why is Jabba loving with Boba Fett?! Why are they buds in the end?! Will any of this make sense? It is unbelievable to me that Boba Fett would have Solo stolen from him on the way to Jabba and yet Jabba+Vader are among the many people involved in the ensuing hijinks. I think it makes total sense for the other bounty hunters to gently caress with him to try and steal Solo to get the reward. The fact that so many people are involved stretches close to what I disliked about Solo, even if the premise itself is not as eye roll inducing.

I do like Aphra's hijinks tho.

I will say that despite the hit or miss nature of the current Star Wars ongoings, at least there is no disgusting art like some of those earlier Star Wars Main runs. A lot of the art is very good even!

Edit: I am going through my backlog of star wars comics to catch up and I just read the manga story one The Legends of Luke Skywalker. I highly recommend the last story Big Inside, the art is great and the story is like the platonic ideal of star wars for me. Spoiler summary: Luke runs into a biologist while searching for Jedi teachings, its ambiguously dated possibly after ROTJ. They end up trapped in a space slug belly after being lured by some lights, and find luminous writing. They venture through the space slugs biology eventually coming up a pristine shrine with 3 statues of ancient beings and Luke communes with 1 to find out they were force sensitive space cartographers, charting passage ways between planets pre hyperspace using the force. They had gone into a force type hibernation and say they will help Luke if he cuts them free of their time stopped force bubble. It has that sense of wonder about the Force and the history of the star wars universe that makes SW so great and the art is tits. I love the design of the 3 force cartographers too. They refer to the force as the mist and i love the idea of old space travel using the force to find other civilizations since it binds us all together.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 15, 2021