Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

rear end Catchcum posted:

Braids only appear in the prequels, correct?

Well, no real Padawan in the OT - and Luke already has such luxurious hair that any braiding would be a fashion crime.

Considering that a large number of Padawan don't even have hair (and get to wear some kind of beads instead) makes it even worse. As does the fact that the braids of Obi-Wan and Anakin switch side constantly in the PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kainser posted:

e; oh, I guess I've managed to pick up that Chewbacca died fighting a moon or something as well

He got a moon dropped on him. Just to make extra sure he's dead.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Endless Mike posted:

Which is all kind of funny since The Force Awakens shows updated X-Wings and TIE Fighters, so an inability to let go of the original movies is as canon as canon gets.

Yeah, and it is one of the more disappointing things I've seen yet. Even if it does make sense, 40 year old designs aren't obsolete in the real world military automatically either. Although the TIE-Fighter was already poo poo at the time of the OT, being faced out for the TIE-Interceptor (far cooler design anyway).
Still, I hope we see new designs and new approaches going forward, instead of reusing the same old poo poo over and over again, because fans are super-conservative crybabies who don't like anything but slight changes (like putting rally-stripes onto the X-Wing).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

They tried that once. Do you not remember?

Sure, but change is possible if done by people who haven't become idiots about their franchise (= Lucas). The PT had some great ideas design-wise, and I theoretically love the atmosphere of the dying republic, they just weren't done very well (despite having the best CGI studio doing them with huge amounts of money behind them).
But yeah, the failure of the PT will probably mean we won't see many big changes, outside of removing the old characters due to old age anytime soon. The insistence on "practical effects, practical effects, practical effects" of every trailer pretty much shows that - although it seems luckily simply mean "better balance between CGI and real props, props for interactive and foreground stuff, CGI for background and big scene, wide-shot stuff", which is a very sensible approach after all, Mad Max has shown that just this year.

Endless Mike posted:

How much are nerds making GBS threads themselves that the X-Wings have redesigned engines?

If you can produce a sketch by Ralph McQuarrie for showing that your changed design is actually more original than what was put into the movie nobody will complain. His sketches are amazing.

Decius fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 21, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Oh noooooo

Written by Charles Soule. I'm exited.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm quite keen to see how Obi-Wan and Anakin turns out because if I recall correctly they only ever had one comic set between TPM and AOTC under Dark Horse (and it was an adaptation of a Scholastic junior readers novel). I think the prequel era is very interesting, even if I'm more take-it-or-leave-it on the movies themselves.

Clone Wars (the TV series) covers it very well, especially the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kreia is literally the best Star Wars character ever. She was actually interesting. A rare feat.

She's somewhat interesting in the story, I still hate what people take from the game. It's some bullshit "truth in the middle" the internet loves so much, instead of "this evil Sith is more subtle than your usual Sith, but is still a loving Sith and you as PC follow her into Darkness".
As ImpAtom said, this is Star Wars, there is no grey if you use the Force, you are either good or evil. This unrealistic, fairy tale-like simple world view is the fun of it. And Kreia and all the EU stuff similar to her simply don't fit there. Trying to make Star Wars more complicated, realistic and "grey" is a mistake that leads to Bug Orgies.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

The first couple pages of Star Wars #16 are up for preview.

http://www.previewsworld.com/catalogimages/STK_IMAGES_PDF/STK680001-700000/STK696347.pdf

Leiniel Yu's artwork :syoon:

Man, that's a thousand times better than the lazily traced poo poo we got last book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

radlum posted:

Aphra being bi would be kind of a cop out, but I'm dissapointed Luke and she can't have something. They had good chemistry in this issue and I'm enjoying this crossover so far. Also, the art is great, really works for the gothic feel of the setting.

With all the story stuff around Luke in Episode 8/9 completely up in the air I understand why they would stay away from any potential relationship stuff with him and any woman (or man, droid or Wookie).

Also I don't really need a clear explanation if Aphra is bi, gay or omnisexual. She likes women, maybe also other genders/races/whatever, maybe not. If it doesn't matter for the story I rather not seen it brought up. Not everything needs a clear definition to be put up on Wookiepedia.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 15, 2017