Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I was reading the main Star Wars book for a while, but once Larroca took over as main artist I just couldn't stick with it. It's terrible.

So which SW books are good right now? I've read through all of Doctor Aphra so far, as well as Darth Vader (where Larroca's art is just as offputting, but Aphra and the droids made it worth reading despite it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

OhFunny posted:

I'd recommend the Han Solo (2016) and Lando (2015) miniseries. The art is great and I enjoyed the stories. I felt characterization of Lando and Han were on point too for both of them.

Larroca is also off the main Star Wars book as of issue #55.
Oh yeah, I've read both Han Solo and Lando, they were pretty good! I was keeping up with digital releases of all the Star Wars comics for a bit but just sort of fell off it and decided to jump back in now. That's good news about Larroca, I'll check the book out again then!

enigmahfc posted:

The new Vader series by Soule is really good, at least until this current story arc where Vader builds his stupid castle. But before that its 20 issues of cool Vader stuff.
Didn't even realize there was another Vader series, nice!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I thought Gillen's writing was pretty good, but I stopped reading the main Star Wars series because of the art. So this is good news!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

site posted:

im now making my way through the mainline star wars book and i like this artist mike mayhew. has the sort of alex ross-ish pseudo realism to it that may be traced, but also stylized enough to not be awful?

I found that art so off-putting I stopped reading, nice to see it appeals to someone though!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Anyone read Empire Ascendant #1 yet? I used to wait for Aphra to hit Marvel Unlimited but lost my patience and bought the rest of the run, now I want more. Is it good?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Hey could you maybe not post untagged spoilers for stuff that just dropped? I read most of this stuff on Unlimited six months after release.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I just figured it's good form, but my bad. I should probably bow out of this thread then.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Every Star Wars her I steals the Death Star plans at some point, just like every Marvel super hero punches Hitler at some point.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Aphra started out so strong that she won my loyalty for a good while at least, I'll keep reading her book even if it's not as good as originally and just hoping any slumps are temporary.

Kind of like Gwenpool, in that way. Original run was great so I really tried to enjoy Strikes Back, and gave it more of a chance than it deserved. Here's hoping Aphra doesn't fall that far.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean... Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Emperor Palpatine, Ming-Na Wen have all been brought back to life, in some cases with literally no explanation.
I don't know who Ming-Na Wen is, but there was never a dead body shown for any of the others. If there's no body, you can always say they weren't dead - this happens all the time in serialized stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maul got split in loving half and thrown down a shaft that was pretty loving definitive back then.
I'm not saying it's realistic or good storytelling or anything, but it's pretty much established convention that a "death" where the body isn't confirmed is never definitive (which isn't to say a character can't be canonically dead in such a scenario, just that they can easily be alive if a story calls for it). It's very common.

Maybe this is just semantics, though. But I don't remember anyone in the movies declaring any of these characters dead, so I'd consider it ambiguous whether they really died in the first place even before later stories brought them back.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ming-Na is the name of the actress who plays Boba Fett's new buddy on the Mandalorian. She also died on that show before Fett found her and either patched her up or resuscitated her. I just thought she was in a very bad way when Mando moved on.
Oh, Fennec Shand? I actually forgot how she was left in the Mandalorian so I didn't react to seeing her in other things.

E:

Chairman Capone posted:

More than that, but at the time Lucas explicitly said that Maul was killed that way so that people would 100% know he was dead and not try to bring him back to life like Fett.

Also, Palpatine was thrown into a 100 mile deep shaft that led into the nuclear reactor of a space station that exploded 5 minutes later and we see the energy wave of his body vaporizing.
That's fair I guess, although if you want to make people think "oh he's definitely dead" I still think the best way is to make that explicit. I mean it's a magic space adventure, nothing's to say Maul couldn't use the force to keep his intestines in place until someone came around to find him and turn him into a into a Robocop. Or whatever the details of that was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this, I just don't think it even warrants raising an eyebrow when one of these characters turns out to still be alive.

Or okay, I'll actually defend the decision to bring Maul back because killing him like that was a waste.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 3, 2021