Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm so glad Mara Jade is no longer canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I'm glad your face no longer canon! <:mad:>

:saddowns: The Destroyer-class Lurdiak was the most beautiful faceship in the imperial fleet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

to be clear, I'm talking about people who skew nerdy but aren't Wookieepedia editors, not outright non-nerds, no poo poo the latter group isn't gonna have a clue who they are.

I think those people will know what Shadows of the Empire is but it's unlikely they remember anything about it past the part with the wampas in the N64 game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I only have one thing to say about Clone Wars: Who's bright idea was it to give the Jedi with the worst impulse control ever a 14 year old apprentice who's got a huge crush on him and spends a bunch of time alone with him on long space voyages, anyway?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Clone Wars made Return of the Sith much better. I always felt like something was missing between the 2 movies and Clone Wars was it. Anakins motivations male so much more sense.

Well, George Lucas used the Genndy cartoon to introduce things like "General Grievous is a character in this series" and other tiny details like that, so yeah, something was obviously missing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh God, I'm not defending the way they did it, it was idiotic of them to make a movie that assumes you've consumed tie-in media.

I reject your assertion that watching other stuff retroactively made bad movies better, though. The movies should stand on their own as movies, and they don't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The correct watching order is Star Wars - Empire - Jedi, then plugging your ears and closing your eyes until 7 is out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I finally read the Darth Vader book, and boy do I wish they had someone else on art. Larocca's characters all look like blobs due to how heavily he relies on tracing.

E:

It's especially bad when you compare it with the cover art.

Hm, an asian woman, probably of a roguish sort, in a Star Wars-y adventurer uniform.

Uh... Lumpy from the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ShineDog posted:

Ok, not kiddy in the sense of "particularly kid friendly" but kiddy in terms of having the kind of "SNIPS" "SKYGUY" attrocious dialogue that will make you want to implode.

Sounds accurate to the source material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm digging the portrayal of Vader in his own book but the Emperor feels off to me. It's not a new thing, he's rarely portrayed in other stuff as well as he is in the films but it bugs me every time anyway. It's surprising as you'd think he'd be one of the easiest characters to get right but hey.

People can't seem to write in enough ham and gravitas for every line he says.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Picklepuss posted:

So how did she reconcile that with the moron who had his blaster chopped in half by an apprentice, knocked into the Sarlacc pit by a blind guy, and screamed as he fell in?

Didn't you hear? He climbed back out because he's such a badass.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That makes it look like Chewbacca used to be a teenage girl before being hit by gamma radiation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I never understood why people thought it would be so hard for Fett to get out of the sarlaac

dude went in there with armor and multiple guns and a jetpack

It's a combination of the fact that no one has ever gotten out, and the fact that it was clearly meant to be his death scene and it's goofy to bring him back from it. It'd be like making the emperor survive falling down the mine shaft.

Picklepuss posted:

His armor looks cool but the guy inside it seems like a doofus to me.

That's just it, the character IS the armor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Decius posted:

Still, I hope we see new designs and new approaches going forward,

They tried that once. Do you not remember?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

Did anyone read "The Star Wars"? The one based on the original script for Star Wars. If so, was it any good?

I haven't read that comic, but I did read the original script, so I can only assume it was awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, it basically reads like a Star Wars Prequel script.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

I wish they'd give it a name one day.

Jar Jar's Object.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was a problem Marvel had last time they published the comics - they were coming out between the movies and had to do a lot of guessing, which led to stuff like, for example, the flashback story where Obi-Wan is on a mission during the Clone Wars, accompanied by his two students, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader.

It's not like Lucas had that twist planned ahead of time. For all we know they ran that by some of the movie people and they gave a thumbs up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably.

Same as with Leia being Luke's sister. I rewatched the movies recently and I was struck by how much he seemed to be aiming for a genuine love triangle between Luke, Leia and Han in the first two.

The "she's your sister" thing seemed like a really lame-rear end attempt to resolve that triangle in a movie that had no time for a real resolution to it. It's always felt like one of the weakest parts of Jedi to me. It doesn't really add anything, either. There'd be just as much gravity if Vader was threatening Luke's good friend/love interest instead of his sister.

Although it did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccosUUPPvk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

From an unlettered preview of SE #2.

Gotta say, some of the space battle art in the new SW books has been insanely good.

That's really cool, but something about some of the background ships and buildings reminds me of this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Lucasfilm had a person whose job was just that. I'd be very surprised if they fired him after the acquisition.

That guy's job must have been a living hell once the prequels started coming out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I finally have proof that Star Wars is a space fantasy and not science fiction!

What misbegotten creatures have you been arguing with?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bad coloring/bad print quality is like a never ending plague that ruins so many great comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Surprised this wasn't mentioned already... Looks like Chewie isn't the only one replace Lando, now that it is finished.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25250/nycc_2015_obi-wan_and_anakin

Oh noooooo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That seems like a huge downside.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Makes you wonder why the Emperor had such a hard on for Death Stars, Vader's practically an H bomb - wipes everyone out, leaves everything else intact to work with afterwards.

Expanded universe power creep makes a lot of the stuff in the original films seem pointless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with you, that gif is just what I think of when I think of Star Wars slapstick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Wasn't Daala actually shown to have made her way up the ranks due to....um, sexy times?

I'm always surprised at how often that trope shows up in nerd fiction. It shows a very sad idea of... well, pretty much everything about women and the world we live in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't she the one who's entire gimmick is saying "Star Wars' basic concepts suck and if you believe in them you're stupid"?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wouldn't mind if they made Shadows of the Empire a movie, just... take some of the creepy/embarrassing poo poo out of it. If they really go through with all the Boba Fett and Rogue 1 and Yoda movies, it's probably pretty possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It'd be nice if Star Wars could take the approach almost every other franchise has taken with different mediums and just say that a particular show or comic is its own continuity with no impact on anything. The Ninja Turtles have been doing fine with that ruleset.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People who diss the Rogue Squadron series because it's not X-wing are monsters who have taken human form to deceive us.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh I thought we were talking about the video games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They tried to bring the actor who plays Wedge back but he was like "gently caress off, I'm done making those stupid movies", so I guess we can just pretend he was offscreen at any given moment in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Same difference, really. He's not in the film for reasons that have nothing to do with the story.