Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SW and Darth Vader are awesome, I like that Marvel is putting their top tier creatives on these books.

Unlimited recently added a ton of the old Dark Horse Star Wars comics. I'm reading Legacy and was wondering if there's some sort of resource about which books are worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Busting Vader down to Scrub Lord of the Sith is one of the rare conventions that both makes narrative sense and allows him to go on cool adventures.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume that the original DH releases didn't have "Legends" on them and that's the marketing adspeak they're using for "These comics don't count y'all".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

No; they were about as official as it got at the time, but obviously that's no longer the case. Of course, since I'm not a complete wanker* I don't need stories to "count" or whatever to enjoy them. So long as I'm entertained by them, their canonicity or lack thereof doesn't trouble me.

*I'd say enjoying Star Wars comics makes me only mostly a wanker.

Oh yeah I don't give a poo poo personally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hahaha you are on fire and also dead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I picked up Vader on a whim and am loving it. The OP says that things in the main series tie in to it? Am I missing out on stuff?

The very first Vader issue refers to something that resolves in issue 3 of Star Wars, so I don't think they are doing a concurrent timeline.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I've learned from checking out old SW comics on Unlimited is that they did not put top artistic talent on these books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, I like Jan Duursema's Star Wars art.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, that Rebel pilot just looks kind of bland, not bad.

Look at the perspective on the eyes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gillen is a top tier writer and he is murdering it with Darth Vader.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radlum posted:

I think I missed an issue; who is the guy with the cyborg eye? was his crew machines as well and that's why Vader said they had nothing to do with the Force?

I think that's a Rodian eye and he's the guy, or the clone of the guy, that 000 tortured to death last issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SW #5 out today. Aaron is nailing the characterization of the big three and it's nice to see Boba Fett back to being just plain old bad guy rather than an anti-hero with complicated motivations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Vader #6 and SW #6 might be the best non-OT Star Wars thing I've ever seen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VirtualStranger posted:

It kind of got missed in the discussion of SW and DV #6, but Princess Leia #4 and Kanan #3 were both released recently.

There is also a variant cover for the upcoming Shattered Empire.

So this happens after RotJ then?

They really are putting top tier creative talent on these books, it's great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that Lando #1 is out today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is it any good?

It's a set up issue, but the premise Lando gets roped into one big score to pay off a debt, all is not as it seems is promising and Maleev drawing SW is worth the price of admission. They are putting serious heavy hitters on these SW books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well I always err on the side of "you cannot BELIEVE what some people get upset about".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Wars #7, Bianchi's first issue on pencils, was pretty good. I like the way that they are filling in the movie gaps, between how Vader found out about Luke and now just exactly what Obi-Wan was doing as a Jedi in hiding for 20ish years on Tatooine. Normally when later media goes back in to retcon or flesh out gaps in the original material, it feels contrived and obvious and involves way too many side characters who suddenly have connections to backstory. With the new Marvel books, the new material fits in very well and feels organic to the story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

So what was he doing?

Nothin. Being sad.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know, none of this is new at all. To me it has the same problem that most tie-ins do, we all know what happened, they're just filling in context that's totally unnecessary to understanding the characters (because all of that is implied in the movies to begin with). Also stuff like Han Solo's long forgotten wife is the definition of a side character who suddenly has connections to his backstory. Say what you will about the EU, but I'd rather have new stories than any of this completely pointless fluff.

At least Gillen's Vader book is doing new things with an established character - putting him in a context we've never seen before. The mainline book, at least I agree it mostly feels organic to the characters, but I don't think any of it is at all interesting to read. Surprise: Obi-Wan lingered around on Tatooine for years and somehow met Luke's family, how is it not completely contrived to have kid Luke come out and heroically stand up to a bunch of bandits and then have Obi-Wan come in out of nowhere and save him? Who cares about that part of the story?

Obi-Wan somehow met Luke's family when he delivered the infant Luke directly into the hands of Lars Beru. If this was an EU story it would've been a six issue arc where Obi-Wan has to team up with sand people against some Imperial Moff who was also the father of the stormtrooper that bangs his head in episode 4 to liberate the king of the Tusken raiders from an evil factory with the help of the dad of the Bothan who got the Death Star Plans and the dad of the ice cream maker guy from Bespin and stop the flow of Bantha fodder from being used as fuel for a new Imperial superweapon that we've never heard of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Just because it isn't as overwrought doesn't make it a more interesting story to tell. Also it's a false dichotomy since a lot of the Dark Horse comics were great about not doing this exact thing.

Which ones?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every one likes Vader, most people like SW, Lando is also good so far. My personal opinion is that the three I just said all own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noto posted his covers for Chewbacca #3 and #4:

I'm super excited to see Noto's take on the SW universe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why the gently caress are they called snubfighers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys reading Lando or what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Am I racing to horrifically wrong conclusions or is Vader sending Aphra to Naboo to dig up Padme's remains???

:stare:

In any event, loved the panel of him just chilling out sitting on his TIE Advanced chatting on the spacephone to someone.

He was sitting side saddle...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So dainty.

Shattered Empire was really cool, how many issues is it slated for?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Hello Star Wars fans. I'd like to ask a question. I'm not a very big Star Wars fan, I've seen and enjoyed all the movies but that's about the extent of my relationship with the franchise. I tried to watch a couple of the cartoons and it never grabbed me. I do however see a new comic out today from Greg Rucka, who I love, and Marco Checchetto who I also love and believe is one of the most underrated and under appreciated artists in comics. First question of course, is it good? Second, is it easily accessible to someone very only a basic knowledge of the movies?

It is extremely accessible and relies wholly on movie canon.

It occurs to me that one series is based on the Rebels cartoon but I haven't read it. All the other new Marvel SW books follow main characters in and around the (all most entirely) the original trilogy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From an unlettered preview of SE #2.

Gotta say, some of the space battle art in the new SW books has been insanely good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of classic Marvel Star Wars, the new series will need to up its game to have a cover better than this one:

The price is in cents but they spell it lightsabre?

Interview with Noto about the upcoming Chewbacca mini.

It's five issues, takes place between IV and V and is described as a "Star Wars western".

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it more powerful than that swole as gently caress Hutt on Nar Shadda in SW?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Larocca is really doing a good job getting expression out of Vader through shading and body language. When he is debriefing Aphra and she says "Yeah sounds like she was something special" the "cut" to the shadowed Vader face is really effective.

Funny that the DV/SW books are doing a better job of adding weight and depth to the Anakin/Padme relationship through flash backs and innuendo than they could do in three live action movies.

I've said this before but it's awesome how Marvel is demonstrating the quality of stories you can tell in the SW universe if you put tip top talent on them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dark Horse had John Ostrander as their main Star Wars writer for close to 10 years...

Yeah but they had Jan Duursema on art.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

I'm enjoying the C-3P0/Chewie buddy cop thing far more than I should. She Chewie being loyal to Luke and being able to go full Wookie is pretty fun.

It also accounts for their relationship on ESB, with Chewie carrying him around and trying to fix him in Cloud City. Of course in the movie it was probably just that Chewie was the biggest so he should carry the droid junk, but I think good spinoff stories are best when they subtly shade things in the original material.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shattered Empire continues to be fine, I don't know that it would be compelling for a non SW fan but to see the immediate aftermath of ROTJ is interesting to me. Also the next issue is coming out next week, how many issues is it supposed to be in total?

Chewbacca was awesome. It's hard to say if the plot will be good since it's got a pretty standard premise and layout, but Chewie's interactions with the other main character are great. Also Noto drawing SW, you gotta be kidding me. Though all his Quarren faces do look the same...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The next issue of Shattered Empire is the last one.

It's kind of weird that there was a normal gap between the first couple, and then the final three in consecutive weeks. Or am I misremembering?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I liked Chewie. He didn't want to get involved, but he is just a big softy. :3:

Noto draws his fur almost too luxuriously.

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, that's how it was, and it's weird, but whatever. They probably realized they want to get a trade out before the movie and give it time to sell so rushed it out.

That makes sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure why but I got STAR WARS FEVER so what are the good post-ROTJ old school comics? I've read Legacy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got about five pages into the Rogue Squadron one and then Wedge goes "Heh we call this the wingtip, Imperial" and uses his S-foils to force a TIE fighter into the ground. That's as far as I cared to read.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keiya posted:

Alecia Beck! I thought the name was familiar! She shows up in Smuggler's Run, but I didn't connect the two until the missing eye mention.

Oh that's neat.

While I didn't hate Shattered Empire, it had a lot of great action and art, I'm not sure how essential it was. I'd be interested in an ongoing about the aftermath of the Rebel victory but I don't think that four issues covered it all. I mean, Project Cinder is still happening right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone else reading Chewbacca?