Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plus it owned when the guy said "heh, look who brought a dead droid to a blaster fight" and Chewbacca brained him with it.

But Duggan said in prerelease interviews that he drew inspiration from the Eastwood Man Without a Name westerns, which were themselves inspired by Kurosawa films like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cargohills posted:

Will Star Wars still make sense if I don't bother reading Vader Down? Crossovers are why I stopped reading X-Men comics.

The only outside book you'd have to buy is Vader Down because the rest of the crossover is split between SW and DV.

I assume bad crossovers are the problem, this crossover looks to be extremely good if Vader Down is any indication.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Let me just say that "I'll feed you to my lizards, then feed them to a bigger lizard, and barbecue that lizard" is the best threat ever

Swole Hutt best Hutt.

Also loved "All I am surrounded by is fear and dead men", make Jason Aaron write Vader forever, sorry Kieron.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Not really a spoiler because it happens right away, but Vader took out nearly 3 squadrons of starfighters by himself, including one of the more badass uses of the Force in space before he's finally forced to the planet.

Because he's Darth loving Vader.

Yeah these comics are doing a good job of making Vader look like a badass. Like in last weeks DV where he took out a Y Wing with his saber.

cargohills posted:

I just don't like crossovers because I normally prefer buying one book. I don't really care about Vader's side of the story.

Too bad because it's a really good comic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zdarsky variant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Predates him by a year in fact.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I'm thinking Lenlil Yu should just go ahead and take over the regular ongoing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Wars has some really good names too though: lightsaber, Darth Vader, Jedi, Sith, all cool neologisms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the stuff that the EU lords are threatening a spoiler campaign to save.

That is to say, make canon, they are free to read as much EU stuff as they want.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By the way there's a huge old SW omni sale on. There was a broader one day sale on Monday, I got the Thrawn trilogy comicization for like 3 bucks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if that evil cyborg Mon Calamari's lightsaber is purple for a reason.

Also, Leia is getting a ton to do in Vader Down, you get a good idea of why she was so respected in the OT.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has Marvel announced anything in and around TFA yet? Where's my Poe Dameron ongoing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My stance towards that is that intentionally or not, the prequel Jedis are dumb and decadent and in decline, because that's the only read that makes any sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

It's not really bad writing when it's the entire point - the Jedi are weak and foolish and are wrong on a number of things, hence not being able to tell the guy standing next to them is a Sith Master, hence Obi-Wan being so stubborn and stupid to completely rule out every thing he's told by one, even when it's 100% truth. And it's hardly like this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time in real life either, people just willfully refusing to accept facts and evidence even when all signs point to the contrary.

The Emperor is only defeated when Luke ignores all the bullshit Yoda and Obi-Wan repeatedly tell him and trusts in his 'lost cause' dad to do the right thing. According to his mentors, that would never ever happen, and oh yeah, sacrifice your friends too. The Jedi were dicks all along.

I think it's bad writing because I don't think that was the intent.

Lucas doesn't really go in for shades of grey, he rejects any attempt to make the Force more complex than "obviously evil side" and "obviously good side".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There isn't much that is subtle about the SW movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

N..noto-sempai...

In that vein, what did y'all think of the Chewie mini? I thought the story was kinda eh but I liked the characters and the art was amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

April.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume this will all be pre-TFA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep assume it will continue his story from Shattered Empire

Baby Poe!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's actually a pretty big tribute to Oscar Issac that the character has had such a positive response with very limited screentime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mycot posted:

I love Genndy's style of super basic storytelling. He got told "make people hype for the new villain" so he made him look like walking death in every single frame. I really wish he got more work.

Well, Samurai Jack is coming back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

:monocle:

Tell me more.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/637821-samurai-jack-returns-2016#/slide/1

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin Noto man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't imagine why not, it's the right era and if they can get JEJ to voice him for Rebels, seems like he'd be available for Rogue One.

It's pretty cool that one of the best living comic book artists is also extremely obsessed with Star Wars so he turns out pin up quality designs for the gently caress of it.

Also Poe Dameron is gorgeous, people talke about Notoface but when he's drawing from reference it's a perfect rendering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

site posted:

Yeah that rogue one poster looks like he just traced a picture. If he did that just by hand omg

I assume he was drawing from trailer stills since everyone there is in roughly a similar pose but the angles are different enough that I don't think he was light boxing or anything.

Even if it was a trace, the colors and composition alone are still masterful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is James Robinson any good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well $5 on a one shot isn't much of a gamble so I got it y'all. It's got goofy art.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK I read it, the premise is C3PO is part of a mission to take a captive First Order droid back for questioning, but they crash land! C3PO, the captive protocol droid, and four other assorted droids have to travel across a monster-filled world to complete their mission. It was fine, completely inessential, but it gets into morality issues about sentience, memory and SW droids if that interests you at all.

As for the arm: it gets ripped off by some river monster. At the end, as C3PO and the prisoner, the last droids alive, huddle under a crashed TIE Fighter wing to hide from an acid storm, the prisoner sacrifices himself to go out and activate a beacon to call for rescue for C3PO. But! The acid raid reveals a coat of red primer underneath the prisoner droid's black finish, and only the left arm survives.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Now I have bought and read a comic book to find out the backstory of something in a movie. What has this world come to? I suppose more and more things will be like this in the Star Wars universe and the books and comics will tie in with the movies. I understand it but hope I can avoid falling for such useless need for information in the future! Thanks everyone!

If you like Star Wars all the new Marvel SW comics slay.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never really read or paid attention to anything other than the movies so I don't really know about any of the extended universe stuff that got wiped away by Disney. Maybe I'll check out some of the other comics if they are good, though.

No, all the new comics are in the canon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Right, I was meaning to say that things might actually be more interesting now that there is an official canon. In the past I didn't care because they weren't written by Lucas and thus could be wiped at any time. Which happened. Now the stories seem more meaningful because they may tie into something that was on the screen.

Mostly no, but there are a few big off screen moments that happen in the comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

site posted:

So far i think the only thing in the comics that ties into the movies is the arc where Poe's parents have sex and make a baby.

How Vader finds out about Luke is what I was referring to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movies take precedence, obviously. The rumour is that the Rebels cartoon will probably end after its next season because it conflicts with Rogue One.

I can't find the tweet but Pablo Hidalgo said that's bullshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Considering the rumors about season 3 introducing :swoon:GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!!!:swoon:, that could very well be the case.

I make no apologies for my fanboyism.

Let it go EU people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa TFA was so positive for women role models in film even Milo Manara can't bring himself to overly sexualize Rey:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like a comic devoted to answering the question "Why does C-3PO have one red arm?" is something that would've invited a bit of a :rolleyes: if Dark Horse had published it.

Well it was a good story, which helps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen any bad reactions to it before this very internet page.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not happened in this thread that I've seen, but one thing I have noticed regarding the new stuff is how focused readers seem to be on the fact that "It's canon now" as an intrinsically positive recommendation of the material. It's a weird obverse of the reaction we saw from hardcore EU fans whinging about how the old stuff was no longer canon and that apparently meant they couldn't enjoy it as much. It's weird. It's like people trying to push AoS as being a somehow crucial component of the MCU because they don't want to feel like they've wasted time on something that doesn't "matter". Why isn't it enough to enjoy it for what it is?

I enjoy it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teek posted:

Still thought it would have been nice for Lucasfilm to do the EU die-hards a solid and write one final wrap-up story for that universe. Reference everything, good and bad, and go out with a bang. Then never talk about it again.

Oh yeah I'm sure that's an accomplishable task that wouldn't lead to hurt EU fanboys feelings and whining about "underwhelming" things.