Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Seconding the bus recommandation, unless you have a hard-on for old cheap soviet railways that are chronically late like I do :v:

BiH and Serbia are really cool and the History of the area is really interesting, between the recent wars, the Yougoslav nostalgia and the Ottoman heritage there's a lot to discover. And you can do lots of weird stuff in the Balkans if you want to - hike the abandoned 84 winter olympics site in Sarajevo, search for surreal Spomenik monuments, etc. Also, you've got a lot of castles in Bosnia and you can sometimes have them all to yourself as visitors are still fairly rare.

Foodwise, apart from the dalmatian coast there will be lots of meat, but you can usually find some vegetarian dishes. Plus, vegetables and fruits are usually fresh and tasty.
Personal opinion: the best breakfast is most certainly cheese and spinach filled Burek, and the best snack is grilled Cevapi.

As for no-gos: don't mention the war! :v: In all seriousness, the recent yugoslav wars are still fresh in memory so while it is very interesting to learn about it first hand, it's better to not try to engage in a debate. Also, lots of racism towards gypsies and the neighbouring countries, and homosexuality is quite a taboo. Otherwise, as long as you behave like a decent human being you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

This. If anyone asks you are Canadian or better Swiss. I speak German so I usually just stuck to that during the trip during Yugoslavia. If you are in Belgrade, I would recommend Cafe Insomnia if it is still open, pretty fun bar.

I am going to disagree with the rest and say spend some time in Budapest, even if it is only a couple of days. I was really impressed by that city. Serbia wasn't as fun for me but the language barrier was much harder there because I don't speak any Cyrillic languages. If you speak German then you can always revert to that in Hungary because the language is still sort of big there.

If you have accomendations set up in Belgrade, I would HIGHLY recommend getting directions in Serbian. I had mine in English which was useless, I knew I had to go to 'ABC Circle' but the problem was everything was in Serb and it is impossible to tell what is what, so make sure you have the names in both English and Serb. I ended up asking directions from a 10 year old girl because she was the only person I could find that spoke something other than Serb.

I am probably not going to read this thread again but if you have any follow up questions feel free to PM me. I have a good friend that is Serbian and she goes back to Belgrade quite often (She lives in Oslo now) so I can ask her any exact questions you have. I also travel around a lot so I can point you in the right direction with anything else.

Bon Voyage

Seconding that Budapest recommendation, haven't been there yet but I only heard positive things, and it's easier to navigate than Belgrade; the cyrillian alphabet can be daunting if you didn't learn to read it, and although I had no trouble finding english speaking people I may have just been lucky.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

MothraAttack posted:

Dubrovnik was pretty terrible just a few weeks ago tbh. It's a beautiful city but suffers from huge crowds, steeper prices and repetitious poo poo (the same carbon copied mediocre restaurants and trinket shops, mostly). Our best day was renting a car and driving the Bay of Kotor and peninsula near Tivat in Montenegro, which was just as beautiful in its own way but a lot less touristy. I imagine the other stretches of Croatia are pretty similar, minus perhaps Split, which I hear is getting pretty packed.

As an aside, regarding what the others have said, I've spent a week in Belgrade and there's no weirdness with being American at all. For what it's worth I like Belgrade more than Budapest, although the latter is prettier and I can read the Serbian alphabet so ymmv. People all over the former Yugoslavia have been uniformly friendly for the most part, though.

Yeah I have had nothing but friendly encounters there myself, although I noticed that people may get a bit touchy if you ask them about neighbouring countries. Like, if we asked how to go to X or Y country or if they know some interesting places, the answer was often "Why do you want to go there? It's a shithole, there's nothing nice there. Stay here, it's much better!" Allthough, they maybe just preferred that we spend our Dinars there instead of anywhere else :v:

Otherwise, I can second your post - Croatian coast is really nice if you stay outside of the tourist hellholes that are Split and Dubrovnik, even if it is getting more and more popular every year. Montenegro is also really cool, and the hinterland is worth it too, having nice mountains and forests for hiking and all.

• Locked thread