Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Bumping the thread for any more tips - I'm planning my honeymoon, and it looks like we may go Budapest/surrounding area for a week, and then sorta tour our way around Croatia for a week. I've heard Zagreb is OK, but along the coast is the real awesome stuff.

I've also heard that if we go in mid-to-late August, it will be terrible and all Italian/German tourists. Confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Hungryjack posted:

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your thread, but it looks like it has kind of run its course so I doubt I'll be usurping anyone's discussions.

Next May, I'm looking at traveling with my wife to Prague as part of a marathon tour. That part is easy. My questions start where that tour ends. We also wanted to check out Romania, specifically the Transylvania region. I've been looking at several travel package websites to get an idea of the places to see. One of the things in particular that appeals to us is the overnight train from Budapest to Sighisoara. I'm still in the very early stages, but this is kind of where I'm at right now:

5/9 - Fly from Prague to Budapest, landing around 11pm and grabbing a pre-booked hotel that night.
5/10 - Wake up in Budapest for the day. I have no idea what to see when I only have one day there. Catch the night train at 11:30
5/11 Wake up in Sighisoara at 9-ish. See the sights. Catch a late train to Sibiu.
5/12 Wake up in Sibiu. See the sights. Catch a late train to Brasov.
5/13 Wake up in Brasov. See the sights. Catch a late train to Bucharest.
5/14 Fly home from Bucharest. Flight leaves at 6am so we would obviously have to spend the night in town.

It feels like one town too many in Romania. If I'm going to double up somewhere, my gut tells me I should spend a little more time in Brasov. Which town should I leave out?
Is by train the best way to travel within Romania? Tell me about the trains in Romania.
How is Romania in May?

First thing, I haven't posted in here since my intiial question - the honeymoon was a blast! Budapest was probably the most beautiful city I'd ever visited. And Zagreb was fun for like six hours - but we went on a weekend that was essentially Croatian Christmas, so essentially all stores were closed both days we were there. Having said that, the Naive Art museum in Zagreb was AMAZING.

Dubrovnik was great as well - though after a few days, we sorta got the point, though it never fully got "old" (and day trips to nearby wineries and such helped). Overall, I'd have spent one day less in Zagreb (essentialy just make it a ~6-8 hour layover), and a few days less in Dubrovnik, and would have stayed more in Budapest.

Having said that, Hungryjack - there may be more people who can speak better than I, but from what we saw in Budapest over a few days, I'd say some of the key MUST SEES are to at least go to the Fisherman's Bastion on the Buda side, to see the panorama of the Danube. I don't know if this would work timing wise, but a few companies do a sunset Danube cruise for like $15 a person. They're kinda cheesy, but it was well worth the money for us. Some offer dinner + drinks, but just go with the drinks - the dinner looked pretty crappy, and you had to sit in the covered part of the boat rather than the open air portion.

You can also buy a "Budapest Card" that gives you discounted/free admission to a number of museums - that could be a good list of basic places to hit while you're there.

• Locked thread