Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Gildiss posted:

Sounds like a Military wife. They are known to balloon and be fairly ignorant.
P sure they don't need to know Korean to get around Yongsan/Itaewon :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

P sure they don't need to know Korean to get around Yongsan/Itaewon :v:

That... was my point?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Gildiss posted:

That... was my point?
Oh...

tbh money is the universal language! :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Gildiss posted:

Sounds like a Military wife. They are known to balloon and be fairly ignorant.

Dependopotamus is the correct term

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is how you goons sound when you complain about and generalize Koreans in this country

Oh, go eat some butts.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
So anyone know what the helicopters are spraying over Seoul right now?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

JimBobDole posted:

President Park's love :swoon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MERS chemtrails. Ron Paul tried to warn us.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

JimBobDole posted:

Crisp, refreshing Chilsung cider.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

JimBobDole posted:

I believe there was a fire in Pyeongchang-dong.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Just joined KakaoTalk. EvilElmo. :)

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
So, day 2 in Seoul, my throat is kinda scratchy. Do I have mers?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Probably.

More likely if you're coming from the US or Canada at least Seoul is likely more polluted than you're used to.

A lot of people also get sick frequently when they first come since the germ strains are different, and the lack of hygiene promotes their spread.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

JohnGalt posted:

So, day 2 in Seoul, my throat is kinda scratchy. Do I have mers?
KRS not MERS. But only 2 days is likely due to pollution.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/391i66/i_live_in_the_city_of_mers_patient_zero_and_the/

Is this real or just wwz fanfic?

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Its nothing that a night full of somek didn't cure. I think I don't want to leave here, ever.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Nosleep is fiction so the latter.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

its real bro ama

Anyway thanks to MERS, the scourge of men, I had the opportunity to spend some time in a real life Korean office.
I am 100% convinced that it's a cargo cult enterprise where sad men in white Y-shirts hand copy excel printouts into new excel files, print them, then hand the printouts to each other, and repeat the process over and over.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

:laffo: i can only imagine how hard this guy tried with those photo angles

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

:laffo: i can only imagine how hard this guy tried with those photo angles

It's a horror fiction writing forum.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Gosh, people are so over-reacting to this MERS thing. Please don't panic and do your best to boost the economy! Meanwhile I'm going to fly over to USA soon and show off my clothes to the world!

Bitch is dumb.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ayyyy nice, my thread title suggestion from like 2 years ago got used in the new thread.

I miss Thursday Party. That's about it, though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Cameron posted:

Ayyyy nice, my thread title suggestion from like 2 years ago got used in the new thread.

I miss Thursday Party. That's about it, though.

Where the gently caress are you that you miss Thursday Party of all places? It's not even the best option in any major Korean city, so RIP you if your in an American town with nothing to measure up.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
So the gift of MERS has pressed my school to do a forced, partially paid vacation for the next 5 weeks.
I can't go away for the whole duration since they can still call me in and cancel the vacation with short notice. So I'm thinking of taking some intensive Korean course that I can join soon, and be able to stop whenever I need to. Like, the throw you in the deep end, sink or swim, type of course. Or, is my only option to just find a tutor?

Any thoughts?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bugblatter posted:

Where the gently caress are you that you miss Thursday Party of all places? It's not even the best option in any major Korean city, so RIP you if your in an American town with nothing to measure up.

I live in Tokyo now and there's not really any good designated college-level boozing section of the city like Hongdae. Thursday Party had drinks for 3500 won, which is like 30% of what you pay in Tokyo, as well as shuffleboard, beer pong, cheesy 90s music, etc. I miss it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

theravenpope posted:

So the gift of MERS has pressed my school to do a forced, partially paid vacation for the next 5 weeks.
I can't go away for the whole duration since they can still call me in and cancel the vacation with short notice. So I'm thinking of taking some intensive Korean course that I can join soon, and be able to stop whenever I need to. Like, the throw you in the deep end, sink or swim, type of course. Or, is my only option to just find a tutor?

Any thoughts?

The official Korean government TOPIK-prep courses have already started a couple weeks ago so it's bad timing because you missed the registration for that... but worst case scenario, tutoring will always work.

Ewha University has a good program (their Summer intensive course starts soon iirc) and you'll be surrounded by Japanese college-age women, if that's your thing. They emphasize talking and listening over everything else as opposed to the other University programs. It's expensive though. I think it was like 300? Or was it 700? I don't remember exactly but it was a lot.

If you're new or beginner level, I'll be happy to tutor you over Skype or whatever if you want. I got an 86.5% on the TOPIK. :smugdog:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure the entirety of East Asia is a designated college-level boozing area.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

theravenpope posted:

5 weeks!
:drat:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm pretty sure the entirety of East Asia is a designated college-level boozing area.

tbh i think the whole world is like that

except where alcohol is illegal, like the middle east, where instead they do hookahs and opium and poo poo

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

tbh i think the whole world is like that

Any Midwestern US town without a major university is not like this.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Maxsmart posted:

Any Midwestern US town without a major university is not like this.

Blame Jesus.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Cameron posted:

I live in Tokyo now and there's not really any good designated college-level boozing section of the city like Hongdae. Thursday Party had drinks for 3500 won, which is like 30% of what you pay in Tokyo, as well as shuffleboard, beer pong, cheesy 90s music, etc. I miss it.

Takadanobaba. College bar city.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

Really? I honestly never considered Ewha because I just assumed woman's university meant just women.

I'm at a point where I'm between beginner and intermediate. I can do the most basic functions, but cannot even think about having a conversation.

Everything has happened so fast these past few weeks. Now that I'm looking, I've just missed the deadlines for a few things. But oh well, I can't complain too much with a vacation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Both women and foreigners aren't really people so they're equivalent for Ehwa.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Both women and foreigners aren't really people so they're equivalent for Ehwa.

:waycool:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

theravenpope posted:

I'm at a point where I'm between beginner and intermediate. I can do the most basic functions, but cannot even think about having a conversation.

Ewha sounds like the right thing for you, then: http://www.ewha.ac.kr/mbs/ewhaen/subview.jsp?id=ewhaen_020400000000

If you want to learn about grammar and stuff, I can help with that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Add in slaves and you have the standing room only section of a Roman arena. :buddy:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If you are a single dude and have any excuse to spend time at that university you should do it.

e: I am just saying that before I met my wife I went to some parties there and they were very good parties to go to for me, a single dude.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Is up-skirt photography a good excuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
So has Korea started quarantining foreigners, while letting Koreans pass through freely, like they did for swine flu in 2009?

Also, yes. Go to ewha. Seems like the foreigner thing to do.
http://www.koreabang.com/2013/stories/ewha-womans-university-invaded-by-swarms-of-chinese-tourists.html