Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Invite to kakao please, same name. (Couldn't use it outside Korea cuz my phone is poo poo and will crash if there are too many lines of chat :psyduck:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, I know lots of people who still enjoy their public jobs, and while pay might be better in other countries, I can still make big travel plans every year and entertain myself on weekends while still saving most of the paycheck. Plus I just like living here.

There's probably smarter options for people who just need to pay off loans or whatever, but Korea is hardly "over."

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I know lots of people who still enjoy their public jobs, and while pay might be better in other countries, I can still make big travel plans every year and entertain myself on weekends while still saving most of the paycheck. Plus I just like living here.

There's probably smarter options for people who just need to pay off loans or whatever, but Korea is hardly "over."

Not to mention hangeul making getting around and having at least a foothold on what poo poo says super easy. Korea rules. But stop coming. Please leave. It's full.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
One could say they still enjoy their public jobs because they still have them. Doesn't really help someone coming in fresh. These people who already got theirs are happy, I'm sure you with nothing will be happy too.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I like living in Korea and find it pretty affordable. If you're doing a blowoff year (like what the poster said they were doing...), working for a hagwon isn't too bad

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Go see the new Mad Max movie. That's Korea now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Go see the new Mad Max movie. That's Korea now.

Thats like 2 months ago. Is antman or minions out yet

But you guys get the newest K drama

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gildiss posted:

Not to mention hangeul making getting around and having at least a foothold on what poo poo says super easy. Korea rules. But stop coming. Please leave. It's full.

Learning Korean is easy, but the only people you can talk to with it are Koreans and they're awful.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I don't like my job, my coworkers, or my city, but I have no beef with Korea itself. It's okay not to like things, as long as you're not a jerk about it, as the meme goes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Learning Korean is easy, but the only people you can talk to with it are Koreans and they're awful.

Uh

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Whizbang posted:

You can totally talk to Russians and Chinese too.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Or me. I'm awfully nice.

E: a celebrity got out of jail and has to wear leg brace (gps tracking) cuz he is sex offender. Apparently you can look up where sex offenders are real time so people are tracking him. Creeps :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 10, 2015

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

caberham posted:

Thats like 2 months ago. Is ... minions out yet

But you guys get the newest K drama

Aren't these the same thing? :suicide:

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
:negative:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

YANKEE GO HOME

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

It's only downhill once you board that plane.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I remember the last time I heard the word 양키 irl. It was a few years ago when I was at the ice skating rink in the sports complex at 화정 in 고양시. Little middle school-looking kids whispered it to eachother as I walked by to get on the ice. Turned back to look at them and they immediately stfu'd and looked scared, like "oh poo poo i think he heard us".

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
Staying in Yongsan for a week with some friends. Anyone able to tell me where the best 치맥 place is within a reasonable distance?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

dsh posted:

Staying in Yongsan for a week with some friends. Anyone able to tell me where the best 치맥 place is within a reasonable distance?

Didn't know what 치맥 was so I looked it up and turns out you're looking for basically a chicken hof. They're literally everywhere.

If you insist on that particular restaurant chain, though...

here's the list of their locations: http://www.chimc.co.kr/store/?k=%EC%9A%A9%EC%82%B0

here's the map of their locations: http://map.naver.com/?menu=location...9&tab=1&enc=b64

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm just securing an EPIK position (destination as yet unknown), but the bit about "buy your electronics in North America" kind of has me alarmed. How big of a markup is this? Right now my main computer is a desktop, and I was planning to buy a lower-end gaming desktop when I got there. Is this A Bad Plan?

Also, I haven't been able to find anything about internet quality in rural areas, as I suspect that EPIK wants to send me to one of those far-flung locations. Is rural internet poo poo, or will I be able to continue my online gaming and shitposting lifestyle from (worst case scenario) some island in the Sea of Japan East Sea?

Lastly, if I don't drink, will the soju-swilling masses think that I'm strange?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I'm just securing an EPIK position (destination as yet unknown), but the bit about "buy your electronics in North America" kind of has me alarmed. How big of a markup is this? Right now my main computer is a desktop, and I was planning to buy a lower-end gaming desktop when I got there. Is this A Bad Plan?

Also, I haven't been able to find anything about internet quality in rural areas, as I suspect that EPIK wants to send me to one of those far-flung locations. Is rural internet poo poo, or will I be able to continue my online gaming and shitposting lifestyle from (worst case scenario) some island in the Sea of Japan East Sea?

It'll likely be a couple hundred bucks cheaper to grab your computer before you come over. Deals can be found, but the ease and range of options will be a lot better outside Korea. I was looking at monitors a while ago and found that, at the listed prices, I'd pay $200 more for an older model than the current equivalent ran for in the US.

Internet speeds will be fine wherever you go. The smallest farming towns will still have connection speeds that put the service in most western cities to shame, at a fraction of the cost, and LTE service exists even on the rural mountaintops.

It is weird not to drink and your attempts to decline might be ignored. Best choice is to just tell them you're a christian.

If you do get stuck somewhere rural, I recommend getting a cheap bike and making the most of the beautiful countryside.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Building your own pc runs maybe 10 to 20 percent more. GPUs have the biggest markup, from what I've seen. To build one you'll need to go to one of the electronics markets, usually they will even build it for you at no charge.

If they haven't told you where your going yet, are you in general EPIK, or one of the province level ones, like Chungnam province?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Maxsmart posted:

Building your own pc runs maybe 10 to 20 percent more. GPUs have the biggest markup, from what I've seen. To build one you'll need to go to one of the electronics markets, usually they will even build it for you at no charge.

If they haven't told you where your going yet, are you in general EPIK, or one of the province level ones, like Chungnam province?

He said he wanted to grab a laptop, so probably not building a computer?

And yeah, is Epik really not letting people choose their province anymore? They've never really told people the specific school prior to arrival, but you used to at least request a general location.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm in National EPIK. Put Daejeon as my first choice, on a friend's recommendation from what was available, but I also told them that I'm willing to go anywhere. In the 2am skype interview, the interviewer mentioned some island, the name of which I didn't quite catch because it was late, I was tired, and the interviewer was speaking quickly and rapidly moved on to some other topic. I now suspect that they want to send me to the mystery island because I expressed a willingness to be flexible.

Oh I hate laptops. I'd much prefer to build a PC. Maybe what I'll do is take my GPU and hard drive from my current desktop, and then just get the rest out there.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Daejeon is the most boring city in Korea. It's Daejeon!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If they put you on Ulleongdo I'm going to laugh really hard and then request frequent posts because that must be bizarre.

There are a number of places that are technically islands but right on the coast, like Geoje, so it's not as isolated as it could be.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Anyone know of any university gigs that are opening up next summer or would I be better off taking a hagwon (again) or public job and searching for one in-country?
I'm graduating with a Masters in TESOL in a few quarters and am eyeing East Asia again but not for anything less than a university gig.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I'm in National EPIK. Put Daejeon as my first choice, on a friend's recommendation from what was available, but I also told them that I'm willing to go anywhere. In the 2am skype interview, the interviewer mentioned some island, the name of which I didn't quite catch because it was late, I was tired, and the interviewer was speaking quickly and rapidly moved on to some other topic. I now suspect that they want to send me to the mystery island because I expressed a willingness to be flexible.

Oh I hate laptops. I'd much prefer to build a PC. Maybe what I'll do is take my GPU and hard drive from my current desktop, and then just get the rest out there.

There are two islands with schools. One is Jeju and it's a vacation destination with really cheap flights to Seoul. The other is Ulleungdo, which is probably what he meant, just to test how serious you were about "anywhere." It's beautiful, but tiny. The high school has less than a dozen students, they only hire one foreign teacher for the entire island, there is no one between the age of 17 and... like 70. No one speaks English and public transport doesn't really exist.

You don't have to worry about it though because I know the guy who is getting the placement (He actually wanted it. He was into the quiet island idea, speaks Korean and likes hanging out with old people).

Edit: Yeah, I guess it could technically be Geoje or an island off of Mokpo... But those places are nice, connected to the mainland, and I doubt he'd have to double check if you were willing to go there.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 15, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bobthedinosaur posted:

Anyone know of any university gigs that are opening up next summer or would I be better off taking a hagwon (again) or public job and searching for one in-country?
I'm graduating with a Masters in TESOL in a few quarters and am eyeing East Asia again but not for anything less than a university gig.

If you have a masters have you thought about getting teaching certified so you can do international schools?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have a masters have you thought about getting teaching certified so you can do international schools?

I seriously considered that, but the credits I would need to be certified in my state would mean I'd have to take another two years or so of undergraduate level courses to qualify for K-12 certification. My undergraduate is not related to education.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

Just be a bit careful with what "international" school you are getting into to. There are many that are actually just private Korean schools.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

You don't have to worry about it though because I know the guy who is getting the placement (He actually wanted it. He was into the quiet island idea, speaks Korean and likes hanging out with old people).

Does he write about it? That sounds like it would make for an actually interesting blog.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

CommonShore posted:

Not nearly as much as people make it out to be. Especially if you buy off gmarket. It's only laptops and tablets you've really got to worry about. Desktop parts are just a little more expensive.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bobthedinosaur posted:

I seriously considered that, but the credits I would need to be certified in my state would mean I'd have to take another two years or so of undergraduate level courses to qualify for K-12 certification. My undergraduate is not related to education.

As someone who is not a teacher or based in Korea I would recommend you to be certified k12. Yes it takes more time but you can get a lot more"real international school" level jobs. The pay scale is pretty much standardized globally and is North of 65k a year living in developing countries with subsidized rent.

A few goons I know either finished paying off their debt quickly or buying off Thai condo or mortgage payments back home.

One opening portal to this job I know is Bangkok career fair or some professional international body where you register as part of that list. Forgot the name

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Does he write about it? That sounds like it would make for an actually interesting blog.

He moves there in a month.

Grand Fromage posted:

Well he's not there yet, though he is an entertaining storyteller in conversation and would probably write well too. He's been alternating between living in rural Asia and touring with his metal band for about a decade now. Unfortunately, he pretty much never uses the internet for anything, so I wouldn't expect a blog.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

I actually have a doctorate in English, but I'm so sick of universities right now that the thought of getting a B.Ed makes me contemplate suicide. I'm in desperate need of change. This EPIK gig seems to me like the fastest-accessible not-a-scam route to a radically different life than the one I've lived for the last 7 years.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

CommonShore posted:

I actually have a doctorate in English, but I'm so sick of universities right now that the thought of getting a B.Ed makes me contemplate suicide. I'm in desperate need of change. This EPIK gig seems to me like the fastest-accessible not-a-scam route to a radically different life than the one I've lived for the last 7 years.

It is, but your masters gives you access to much better jobs on the TEFL ladder.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

I actually have a doctorate in English

:laugh:

You can do much better than EPIK duder, it's the McDonalds of teaching jobs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whizbang posted:

:laugh:

You can do much better than EPIK duder, it's the McDonalds of teaching jobs.

:laugh: all you want, but the academic job market is complete poo poo right now, especially in the humanities, and I refuse to sit around unemployed. I'm going to have to move out of the city I'm in anyway, and so if I'm going to make $20,000 next year, I'd rather get a fresh start out of it and jump on a chance to travel. I'll spend a or two year doing the EPIK thing, apply for post docs and other positions, and see if I secure work at an Asian university.

In fact, I know for a fact that I'll make more money doing EPIK than I would staying where I am and fighting for part-time positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

CommonShore posted:

:laugh: all you want, but the academic job market is complete poo poo right now, especially in the humanities, and I refuse to sit around unemployed. I'm going to have to move out of the city I'm in anyway, and so if I'm going to make $20,000 next year, I'd rather get a fresh start out of it and jump on a chance to travel. I'll spend a or two year doing the EPIK thing, apply for post docs and other positions, and see if I secure work at an Asian university.

In fact, I know for a fact that I'll make more money doing EPIK than I would staying where I am and fighting for part-time positions.

He's not saying you should go into academia in the US. That doctorate could get you $50,000 abroad outside of Korea.