Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is how you goons sound when you complain about and generalize Koreans in this country

Jokes on you. I can read that crap :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Raphisonfire posted:

You have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car than actually catching MERS.

Can I make MERS pay me money if I get sick?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

THE LUMMOX is so close to winning korea!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I like living in Korea and find it pretty affordable. If you're doing a blowoff year (like what the poster said they were doing...), working for a hagwon isn't too bad

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

People posting about their situation like its the only way it goes here isn't as fun when it doesnt contain casual (or overt) racism

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

CommonShore posted:

Yeah it wasn't you who called me an idiot, but it has happened a few times in the thread in quick succession, so some bristles came out.

What is Gnet? Google isn't helping me. Too many varied results.

Gimhae native english teaching. Gimhae is in the southern part of Korea and has awesome jobs

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

They have pork chops at Fat Alberts (formerly 3 Alley Pub) in Itaewon. They are... alright

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Andro posted:

Finally, a Korean rapper that isn't total poo poo:
http://youtu.be/rz-_mstXfr0

Finally, you caught up to 4 years ago

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

DontAskKant posted:

The fast visa run is apparently a thing of the past. Tokyo takes 3 working days and Osaka takes 4. Might be able to get it done Monday to Friday if I get early and late enough flights. Phone people, like all phone people except 1330, suck and are awful. Was asking how far it was from the airport and the Osaka consulate said I should go to the Kobe consulate.

The African dude in chat said Hong Kong can be done in 2 days with the right time of arrival. He did it in 3 anyway.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I stole 40 pies. That's as much as 4 10s. And that's terrible.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ladron posted:

You are clearly a long haired freaky person. You should tuck that poo poo up under your hat.

Actually a long haired redneck. He don't need some turkey telling him he ain't country

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

AmbientParadox posted:

caberham, I'm still in Seoul and I'm p sure I owe you a burrito. I don't think we have horchatas in Seoul though.

There's a new mexican place called Baja something that has it on the hill between Itaewon and Noksapyeong

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 4, 2015

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

LimburgLimbo posted:

Who was/is the rugby playing Korea goon? And are you in Manila now?

Yeah was there. gently caress it was hot.

e: Were you there with the Gaijin?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

You're telling me; I was the one KTFO during the last game on Sunday

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

THE LUMMOX

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Yeah I lived in Suwon and it's fine; a satellite city of Seoul thats fairly large, has a mountain and a couple of nice parks. Takes about 40 mins to get to Gangnam and has a KTX. The bar scene as Ambientparadox said is pretty good for the foreign community and it just got a pro baseball team. I enjoyed living there and was a little sad to move away (though I am only like 20 minutes away now)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ladron posted:

I'm not calling you a liar or trying to get into a thing, but California Fitness was a well known chain that just took all the money and poof one night. They were selling lifetime memberships (at something pricey but reasonable like 3 million) up until the very end.

People were loving pissed and banging on the doors of the myongdong branch with like pipes and poo poo. I was like "guess the gym's not open today" and walked right past them, went home, and found out wtf.

That was the SECOND gym that closed on me.

edit: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/04/113_22543.html

Ok but that was the second one that happened 8 years ago. It's more expensive to go month by month so I would say caveat emptor

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Weirdo. Also Daiso doesnt count because its dirty japanese

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Gildiss posted:

Unless you are a super mutant, like a couple people, I think clothing is pretty easy to find.

now me sad

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

VPN also good for streaming sports and other things. i bought a vpn and it has already been useful

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

please let us know when you're through security so we don't worry

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

E_P posted:

Stop drinking makolli it is gross.

jokes like that are why you were the funniest in chat

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

makkeolli for some, sistar dance practice vids for others

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Goonsgiving: Apocalypse

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

caberham posted:

But most Korean goons I know are gone :qq:

but songtan sally is still here for you! she even offered to blow one goon for his crunchwrap supreme!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I thought she got all the willies

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

does scott orson card's homophobia ever end?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

same building, same owner, different kitchen and menu

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Im sure the next president will be the first non corrupt one.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

tumor looking batty posted:

How do I visit Korea for free?

edit: i know English and I am very tall.

have a degree from one of the 7 approved english speaking nations (US, CA, UK, SA, NZ, AUS, IR) and don't have any felonies and you can get a job

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I feel like I was just trolled by having to watch that gormless a-hole. But yes, that appears to be Korea

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

did you likey? you likey likey?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

You can get around Seoul pretty easily without knowing Korean but if you want to go to smaller cities or the countryside, it is helpful to know some phrases. I would just have a laminated card with like "where is the bathroom", "how much is this", "please, kimchi is too spicy for me", etc
Seoul is hilly, bikes are not a good way to travel. Fortunately it has great public transportation with buses and subways and taxis are cheap.
Street shopping can be found at Myongdong and a couple different areas. Expect to be super crowded.
Bring deodorant.
You might be approaching too tall for clothes to fit well.
SIM cards work, Seoul has public wifi in a lot of places but I always liked renting a wifi egg or somesuch because I want the guarantee to have it when I need it.
Seoul has some fantastic free museums like the National Museum and the War Memorial that I highly suggest and the Gyeongbukgong palace can be pretty cool to see too.
Korea is typically more formal in dress than America but no one ever complained to me about wearing running shorts and if they did, gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Japanese drive on the left, Korean on the right. The Japanese call it the Kamehameha and the Koreans call it the Ener-gi-pa. End of list.