Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I guess it's cold depending on what kind of winters you are used to, but there's no snow/ice on the ground right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I also have a credit card through KEB/Hana, I had no issues getting the card, other than having to wait until I had 6 months of residency for them to give me one.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Sorry for your lovely ISP which is not really a Korea specific problem? Also I torrent over VPN and have never had any issues with my VPN provider (hostvpn, which is owned by an SA goon).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

district 12 posted:

Is it basically study there, get transferred there, or be a teacher there?

Yes

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I have a real job but I have an F4 and just work 100% remotely for an office in Chicago. This is probably not an option for most people.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's probably illegal, but it also seems unlikely that anyone will actually care.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You could also just order spare tubes from gmarket

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just learn how to use naver or daum maps.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The US servers are playable, but unless you are queuing with people in the US there's no reason to not just play on KR.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Pretty sure the lovely/awesome interior and the mugwort makgeolli are the exact reason people go there

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
On the off chance that anyone does give your SO poo poo for being a gyopo that can't speak Korean, they will probably leave you alone and maybe even apologize if you manage to convey that she's an adoptee.

black.lion posted:

- What things should not be missed if this is our one-and-only time for her to see where she was born?

If your SO is interested, you could try reaching out to her Korean adoption agency and request an in-person review of her file/adoption history. Your trip might be too short notice though (not really sure)? And not every adoptee is interested in that kind of thing. But if this is really her one time ever trip to Korea it might be worth discussing with your SO.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

black.lion posted:

- we inquired with the adoption agency like months ago and they said it'd take over a year to get the paperwork sorted; I'm guessing there's not really any other avenues to pursue to get any info at all, but just in case there are here's your chance to tell me about them!!!

I sent you a PM

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Logicspren posted:

Any must-have apps that are exclusive to Apple or Android systems?

There’s no real platform exclusive apps to worry about. Just be sure to use one of the korean map apps when you get here (naver maps is fine and has English ui) because both google and Apple maps are basically useless in korea.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's been a few years since I got my KEB/Hana accounts set up, but iirc it they had the same policy where I couldn't get a card that worked outside Korea until my account had an ARC on file, so that's not a KB specific thing.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Gildiss posted:

If say you are coming from the US. It has a functional government with affordable healthcare.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

nullscan posted:

The general feeling I get is that people know Trump is a joke and didn't really accomplish anything.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You need a negative PCR test taken within the 3 days prior to your arrival in KR (regardless of vaccination status), and there's currently a mandatory 14-day quarantine period that will cost you ~$2000 (you have to stay in the KR government mandated hotel). Other than that there's nothing preventing you from entering Korea with or without a visa (US citizens can still enter on the 90-day visa free tourist status).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Air quality in korea is not great and it is hot and humid in the summer

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
just an fyi, you don't need to give out your phone number for someone to add you, just your kakao ID (make sure your ID is set to be searchable)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
just send her

라면 시럽 먹어 갈래?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The starfield library is just a library that happens to be inside a shopping mall. If you're planning on doing shopping in the mall or have other stuff to see in/around COEX then you might as well walk through it but I wouldn't consider it a must-see thing in Seoul.