Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Pick based on the location, hours and vacation. No matter what you do you are never going to get an answer that will jive with what your work will be like for you.

The hagwon I worked at had a pretty good reputation before I got there. I saw one person get persecuted and fired because the boss wrote instructions on the back of an old homework assignment and put it on his desk with the homework side up. Surprise, he didn't see it. Then there was the Themata thing, which was pretty well cataloged if you want to read it, went down late 2012. Yet more than half the people we worked with would tell you the place was alright. I visited it again right before I left and the people there scoffed when I told them the owners have a temper. They'll learn.

Cities are also down to personal taste but you can find hundreds of personal tastes to consider rather than, best case, one or two via phone probably being stared at by their boss as they talk.

You can make a pretty educated guess on what city/town you will like. This is a one year job you are applying for. Check the black list sites. Read and post your contract. when you get there keep your head down, make sure they pay you and put yourself in a situation where you can enjoy yourself outside of work. Like Bundang.

Go to Bundang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everyone touches it with the same pair of chopsticks they put in their mouth.

Aesis posted:

Pretty sure President Park will make MERS go away.

The same way her father made things go away?

:black101:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Father in law owns. Any of you Logans Run him we gonna have problems.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I need to catch up with my school and ask them how nuts the MERS thing has been.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I'm upset, why I still can't get cheap tickets to Seoul. Are real-estate prices dropping like mad there?

Oh and enjoy this : http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2015/06/11/hong-kong-exchange-students-removed-south-korean-university-lecture-wearing-face-masks

And this is getting a bit out of hand in China

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/06/12/south-koreans-shanghai-film-festival-mers.php

Following links in this article I found my Long lost brother

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This thread is remarkably dark for summer vacation season. Normally the longform condemnations of the country happen early February.

They didn't even mention the worst part of the country, that there are about 18 days of pleasant weather a year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hear you're all going to die again. c/d?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're looking to skip winter you want like, Thailand. Korea doesn't get cold like it does in Real Winter

Warning: This man lived in Ulsan. His opinion is not representative of the rest of the country.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

This is really the thing about Korean winter. It isn't objectively that cold (even up in Seoul :colbert: ) but it's the pervasiveness of it since you're always in completely uninsulated cinderblock and concrete boxes. If a heater is on, the Koreans will either open the windows in order to ensure it doesn't actually heat anything or have it cranked so it's 100 degrees indoors while everyone is still wearing three coats.

Again, Ulsan. Fromage you grew up 40 minutes from me. Saying Seoul doesn't get cold is just contrarian nonsense.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Daegu Ryan is gonna be pissed someone's coming at his crown...

I wish I could somehow import kakao emoticons into regular texting in the US. I need more Dejecteddog in my life.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, I always mix up yours and Ian's SA name, which is weird because you two act and post completely differently.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could keep up with chat but my phone (no one buy microsoft phones) is so poo poo that the Kakao chat causes it to hang for four or five minutes before opening.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My buddy is planning on teaching in Korea, he has teaching experience elsewhere and has a Tesol and all that. Do any of y'all have a go to recruiter. He's Vietnamese-Australian so I'm worried a lot of Hagwons will be mysteriously uninterested in him. He's OK with country positions (Even though I've told him he's more likely to see racism there). Should he be expecting 2.2-2.3 or have wages gone up/down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Korea Megathread VII: It is weird and probably someone's fetish.

Not emptyquoting.