Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey all, it's me, that guy who lived in Daegu for 5 years but was quite quiet. I moved to Taiwan 4 months ago and really enjoy how much more relaxed people are here.

Anyhow, one of my Korean friends who is a professional Korean instructor is looking at taking a Korean language teaching position at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama and has been peppering me with questions which I don't have the answers to, so I'm turning to ya'll.

First, anyone ever lived in that part of Alabama? I see it's quite close to Atlanta, Georgia. What are the general things a sub-150cm tall Korean girl should worry about? I'm more concerned for her safety because she is quite short. She's looking at staying there no more than two years.

Next, the outgoing instructor is trying to sell her a car for $8,000 which was supposedly bought for $10,000 two years ago. I suppose I should ask Automotive Insanity, but where can she go to not get fleeced?

*edit; oh yeah, if you know anyone in that part of the USA interested in taking Korean, she is a great teacher. Since the new government scholarship for foreign students started up she's been preparing students for Topik level 4/5 who move on to Seoul universities.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
You'd be surprised. I helped correct speeches for a bunch of Korean university students who were trying to win internships at Korean companies with operations in the south. A good acquaintance spent two years in Georgia making doing accounting there.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
So has Korea started quarantining foreigners, while letting Koreans pass through freely, like they did for swine flu in 2009?

Also, yes. Go to ewha. Seems like the foreigner thing to do.
http://www.koreabang.com/2013/stories/ewha-womans-university-invaded-by-swarms-of-chinese-tourists.html

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Or you know prices change based on the season and the day. Either of those. Or both.

To back you up, Peach only makes about a dozen seats available during its "sales" and often times you must use the localized page, (Korean or Japanese) in order to get some of the deals. For a while last year during the height of the "OMG you go to Japan, don't you worry about radiation?" hysteria, you could get round trip tickets for a loving steal - less than 90,000.

Nowadays, you all should be checking more Korean deal sites. A friend just got a round trip ticket to Taipei for 170,000 from estar.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey now, I am coming to Korea for a short trip 6.4-6.12; granted I lived in Korea for about 6 years and left a year and a half ago for Taiwan, so I don't count.

I have the same refrain for everyone: get out of English teaching. Get out of 헬조선 and watch your stress float away.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I love that the translator of that article used "Confederate Flag" to refer to the Rising Sun flag.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

district 12 posted:

Hello thread, I arrived in Seoul two days ago and been to Daiso several times already, when can I change my H-1 to a permanent residency visa?
Also I have a question regarding the job search: I applied for something and never received a response but the dude I sent my resume to added me on Facebook. No email back, just Facebook request. Is this going to be a commonplace event or is this dude just an anomalous weirdo? I understand that the job search is going to be very different than America because of the culture norms here, but still something felt very off. I put my Facebook on lockdown afterwards.

He's checking to see if you have party pictures because

1) his academy sucks and he wants a good drinking partner

Or

2) his academy sucks because of straight lace assholes like him who don't drink

Solution: delete your facebook

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

How many potato famines were there?!?!

밥 먹었어요?
문제 없어요?

An old student of mine, an orthopedic surgeon, explained these expressions a couple years ago to me. We all should know the first, "Have you eaten?"; but the second, "No problems (last night)?", comes from the time before Korea's economic boom, when starving people would boil and eat whatever they could, often times leading to great pain or death. The question implies, "Anybody you know die last night?" It's hard to see that poor Korea in today's wealthy society, but it's left its mark on the language. Granted, other East Asian languages have it too, Taiwanese say Ja-ba-way?, and I don't think they had a famine in recent history.

The same student proposed to his wife by saying, not by directly asking her to marry him, or by inviting her to meet his parents, but by saying "Stay with me and you'll never be hungry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey Korea goons,
SDL, the company which makes Trados and other translation software, has a position open here in the middle of Taipei, Taiwan for someone "fluent" in Korean. I didn't write this, but as a former Korea goon who jumped ship 4 years ago, this might be interesting for someone who has been in Korea for a while and is looking for something new. I don't know anyone at the company, it just popped up on my LinkedIn feed.

quote:

Job description
Our Korean Content editorial team will be based in Taipei with various levels of seniority including a Manager.

You will live and breathe Korean lifestyle!

Can you write and edit fabulous web content in a fast paced exciting news environment.

Let's get technical/functional:

Excellent writing and editing skills, as well as visual sensibility (photo, video);
Ability to thrive working under continual deadline in a fast paced, constantly-changing, high energy environment;
Able to publish without proof-reader or fact-checker;
Familiar with content management systems, photo editing tools (esp. Photoshop);

Experience and qualifications:

You must have fluent Korean (spoken, reading and written), be located in Taipei;
You must have at least 18 months' experience in writing/editing related functions;
You’ll probably have a proven background in the online media industry with ideally a media major in college/university;
Demonstrated editorial acumen, through story choice, writing style, and headline writing;
Passion for online and multimedia, trending topics, popular culture & the future of online journalism, with demonstrable understanding of current industry standards & techniques, changing internet technology, journalism trends and competitors;
Comprehensive understanding of what drives user engagement on the web, mobile and in apps;
Demonstrated ability to work quickly and prioritize in the moment among competing responsibilities;

What are you waiting for?

Put your online web skills to good use and send SDL your details so we can meet you and get you ready for the next step in your professional career working with two major multinational corporations on a big platform with which you can get first hand news about anything popular in Korea, about K-POP, 송중기, 이광수 or anyone you like in Korea!

Join us and start your truly fashion강남 style!

Applications should be sent to: Isabella He<ihe@sdl.com>