Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
The Sewol captain's sentence was upgraded on appeal from 36 years in prison to life. Same difference, really, seeing how he's 70 anyhow. The other crew members had their sentences reduced from 5 to 30 down to 1.5 to 12.

Number dead: 304
Number still missing: 9
Number of safety reforms since the accident: 0
Sparkling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Peasant wine and squalene are a hell of a drug.

Assuming that's who we're talking about, I don't recognize the name.

The guy that owned Sewol...kinda a cult leader

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
A long shot, but is anybody looking to buy a bike? Specifically this one:

http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/mcy/5002968042.html

My friend is leaving Korea in a week and hasn't been able to sell it yet.

I know he'll take way lower than the asking price.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

If he's willing to take lower, than he should lower the asking price. That is ridiculously expensive, especially considering he can't bring it with him.

It's not ridiculously expensive in a country where 50cc scooters are being hawked for 2 million. Thanks for the great advice, though, I'll be sure to pass it on.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Yeah, I already have a big cruiser or I'd pick it up myself. Like I said, a long shot just in case anyone was looking for a bike...

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
wrong thread

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TEHJOE posted:

Would someone be able to gift me a Melon subscription on a month to month basis if I were to pay them at cost plus a slight premium? Can this be done within Melon or is it limited to buying giftcards?

....why?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TEHJOE posted:

I've dug myself deep enough into idol culture and general k music that I'd like a cheap and easy way to enjoy the product that doesn't necessitate illegally downloading countless albums.

I've given a cursory look, and it seems like you have to register as a member then buy points yourself, and that's just too much work Random Internet Stranger with Questionable Musical Taste. Kakao doesn't even offer gift cards.
Just download it illegally. Korea won't mind. It'll balance out some of the American shows I've been pirating.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I'll weigh in....

I'm a professor here, with a doctorate, too. The workload and vacation are pretty sweet, true, but you're basically just an adjunct or visiting lecturer unless you really put in your time. There are almost no tenure track esl positions in universities here.

That said, you not only have to have at least a masters, but also two years of verifiable university experience to get a university job in the first place. Like someone else mentioned, though, come February 27, most place will hire anyone rather than be sort staffed March 1.

I'll try to answer any questions you or anyone else wants to throw at me.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

bringmyfishback posted:

you could be screamed at by a 29-year old who barely graduated teacher's college because she was too busy getting drunk

Is she hot?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

terre packet posted:

Any recommendations on a hip-hop club in Hongdae that's less crowded than NB2? I need room to dance!

Try Club Lux

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Raphisonfire posted:

It turns out that I am accidentally overstaying my tourist visa whilst here (90 days) by a few days. Would I have any trouble by doing a visa run to Japan for a few days and nights and then return for about 30 days or so until I leave again?

I know people who have been doing this for years in a row, so I'd say "No"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DreadLlama posted:

I require a favour. I am composing a Master's Dissertation and I need to cite the fact that a sign exists. I would like to take a photograph of it but I am no longer in Korea. Could I send one of you on a quest to take a photograph?

be more specific and maybe

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nullscan posted:

Which sign do you need? "Do this", "Don't do that", or "Cant you read the sign?". There are plenty around, but they block out the scenery and give me a headache.

You are clearly a long haired freaky person. You should tuck that poo poo up under your hat.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

AmbientParadox posted:

caberham, I'm still in Seoul and I'm p sure I owe you a burrito. I don't think we have horchatas in Seoul though.

I'm sure you can find it somewhere. Even McDonalds here has churros now.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DreadLlama posted:

There is a sign in either Itaewon Station or Samgakji station. It is written in English and depicts the plight of Korean women under Japanese authority. A phrase like, "These were our mothers" or a similar phrase figured prominently.

I'll take a look but no promises. I generally ride my motorcycle, not the subway.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
So, after 10 years here I'm leaving.
I'm giving away/selling most of my poo poo, so if you want something, speak up, and maybe I have it. I probably do. 10 years is a long time.
Mind, most of my poo poo has been spoken for by actual irl friends of mine, so may not be up for grabs.

Some poo poo that hasn't been claimed:
A bunch of clothes (I'm short and fat, so bear that in mind)
A mountain bike
A hookah and all essential paraphernalia
A framed picture of Bob Dylan and I believe Linda Ronstandt chilling on a backwoods porch
Many, many laptops, computers, misc cables, etc. (nothing super modern but good enough for an office/kid)
Other various poo poo.

Again, if you might want it, please ask. I'd rather it go to a goon for free or a few bucks than deal with the vultures on esl cafe or craigslist. Plus, I don't want to be the guy selling half used bars of soap for 5k won.

If you're shy about posting publicly, please email at ladron@hotmail

Merry Christmas.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Love Stole the Day posted:

What's up with the computers/laptops? What kinds of parts do you have to work with? Because I was looking to make my own Frankenstein or whatever and if you have a good part or two, I'd love to save some money and buy it from you rather than Naver Shopping or whatever.

Nothing noteworthy. An old shuttle pc, a few old laptops, etc. Nothing top of the line or specced for Crysis 3 or anything. Like I said, good enough to sit in an office or give a kid to do homework on, but not much better.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nullscan posted:

Dibs. Where are you anyway?

Near sookdae, samgakji and seoul station. shoot me a kakao and I'll send you a pic of it. ID = ladron

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I have a bunch of them, no deposit was necessary. I have one that gets used only at costco. It's great because I don't have to carry cash there and I can even do interest-free monthly payments.
The thing about credit cards in Korea is they're all basically charge cards - you have to pay the balance at the end of each month. However, you gets points and poo poo that you can use for other stuff. I just bought my friend a pretty sweet vacuum totally for free, shipping and everything, using points.
Plus, if you do your Korean taxes, it automatically itemizes everything you spent money on so you get more back.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Howard Phillips posted:

Anyone have experience attending Korea University?

I'm looking at the dual masters program at American University. It looks like a good gig where you spend first year at AU in DC then the second year in Korea or Japan (Kyoto). I've lived in Japan before and had a good time.

I have a friend who did this. He was complaining that even when in Korea he was still paying the American tuition prices.
I guess he had fun, though. If you have any specific questions I could ask him.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Howard Phillips posted:

If you don't mind asking him:
1. How challenging was the program from an academic standpoint? (I'm not trying to write the next groundbreaking dissertation. Just want a degree and some fun on the side.)
2. How much free time?
3. Housing/living expenses of Seoul for a KU student.

Thanks!

1 - Not too bad, but not diploma-mill-esque either
2 - Enough, but realize at KU there are a lot of manadory MT (membership training) events that you have to attend. Most of them involve getting ripped on makkoli
3 - This is a super loaded question because there are so many variables. Do you want to live in a slum and eat ramen once a week? Not expensive. Do you want to live in a penthouse and dine on caviar? Probably a lot. Look at housing on craigslist for an idea of what you are likely to spend

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may now have to sell/give away everything I own in the next two weeks. Let me know if you want anything email ladron@hotmail for pictures, model numbers, etc).

washer/dryer
medicine cabinet
big plastic storage box
2 bookshelves
shitload of spices
small cabinet
rice cooker
toaster
electric kettle
shitload of pots/pans/silverware
3 fans
2 big rear end tvs
clothes rack
box of electronic goodies
like 5 mirrors
korean style low cabinet
2 rugs
bed and blankets
5 closets
mountain bike
2 camping chairs
sofa
lip sofa
office chair
ottoman
awesome comfy spinny chair
comfy chair
2 tv stands/ cabinets
shoe closet
coat stand
computer desk
2 grills and a bunch of charcoal
decent size fridge (not like a tiny dorm fridge)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

superm0nk posted:

how did you wind up with 5 closets?

Like those korean closet armoire things

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nervana posted:

no microwave? because I was just looking for one.

Microwave is going back to costco

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bugblatter posted:

Okay but how do you have 5?

Edit: Oh wait, you mean one of the big five piece sets. I see.

Yeah, 3 of them have drawers in the bottom. One is by the door for coats and gloves and poo poo. The others are in the bedroom for actual clothes

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

E_P posted:

Youre in seoul right? Wanna get that bike.

yep, near sookdae. It's your if you want it. Needs a new tube (I think) for the front tire

kakao = ladron if you want pictures

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

E_P posted:

Youre in seoul right? Wanna get that bike.

The secondhand shop is coming on Monday to scoop everything up, so if you want it best get at me this weekend

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DontAskKant posted:

Do you have best estimate of pricing?

what they're giving me? No, but I assume it's a pittance.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

E_P posted:

I apologize you must have misunderstood. "Her child" in that situation is you, the person who hosed a woman with a husband and broke up a marriage.

I said goddamn; a burn like that'll leave a mark

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Maxsmart posted:

Don't worry, he can sooth the burn with the all tears she'll shed after eating real American tacos.

Michigan tacos, tho

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

district 12 posted:

Against all odds I found out through a friend I might be interviewing with an agency in Seoul for an internship. Any recommendations for Business Korean resources? My Korean is poo poo in general so I'm terrified but if I can wow them with some ~ biz lingo ~ maybe I'll be okay??

우리 모두 조화를 위해 함께 일해야한다. 소주는 나의 어마 입니다. 독도 우리 땅!!!!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

district 12 posted:

아 도와줘서 감사해요~

I actually have a list somewhere of not necessarily business related idioms I could send you

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

district 12 posted:

That would be awesome and super appreciated! My email is standby @ gmail.

sent, enjoy

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

gingersmurf posted:

I'm becoming increasingly irritated with what I perceive as military spouses doing illegal activities. Maybe I am off base, I don't know. But I am having a difficult time finding the answers on the internet so I am asking you fine folks for information / input.

The issue is spouses doing home-based businesses, such as hair cutting, baking, making and selling goods, things like that. The Legal Office on base has apparently told individuals that if they don't live on base, they don't need base permission to do such things. The spouses seem to take that as an okay to go ahead and make some money. However, we (military dependents) are here on an A-3 visa. To the best of my knowledge, we can not make money on the economy here. In order to do so, one would need a different visa, correct?

What is the legal information I can present to these people? At the very least, it seems to me that they are abusing their visa status here in Korea as well as not being accountable to the Korean authorities (like paying taxes).

Any and all help is appreciated.

why do you care? At least they are doing something to occupy themselves and help them mind their own business...ahem..

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

AmbientParadox posted:

How dare they be upset about people not playing by the rules! What a dick!

AmbientParadox posted:

gently caress the Rules: Korea Edition

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

AmbientParadox posted:

No one comes to Korea anymore. :(

Why did it stop being cool for Goons to move here?

I'm guessing rising inflation, declining pay, and increasing smug assholes

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BrainDance posted:

I spent a week withdrawing from alcohol in a room bang (what's it called? Where you can rent a lovely hotel for a week or so?) and it was nonstop nick cage and that chat chat was not not a seizure and not gonna gonna. Fuckn sucks,

I have a feeling that you're the kind of person that makes a lot of bad decisions.
The word you are looking for is goshiwon 고시원

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Whizbang posted:

You need to go to a bike repair shop, not a bike shop. I don't know why these are different things either.

plenty around hongdae, for some reason, if that helps you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

theravenpope posted:

Thanks, I'll check out hongdae next. Anything's better than trying to lug a cheap, heavy steel framed bike with flat tires on a crowded subway, just to replace some busted inner tubes.

.... do the wheels not come off?