Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

AmbientParadox posted:

So just how rabid are Korean Pokemon fans? I saw the reports about folks taking every available bus out to Sokcho. But, what's the general population's opinion of Pokemon?

No idea, but me and my coworkers are already dreading when/if it manages to be released properly because the kids are big into it and Yugioh already. And I've definitely seen people mid-20s playing in during train rides before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Since other people are joining ,I'd like an invite to chat too. Kakao id felixfelixitas7

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe gaimans graveyard book? It's been popular with some of my students

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The cheer section is the best section

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

There are actual seats called "cheering section" at baseball games here. I don't know which game/stadium you're going to, but here's the Jamsil stadium seating chart : Jamsil Stadium Seats

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It was worse four days ago

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Why run the A/C when you can just buy one of those little battery fans--or use one of the many flyers you get as a paper fan!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Even taking some days off work didn't help with getting a hike in. I think this is the wettest rainy season Korea has had since I got here

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Rain. rain for days.*

*unless you are on jeju apparently

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I've seen jorts a lot after moving from Chungnam-do, so I do think it just hasn't spread yet.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Gunstav posted:

I'm heading to Korea on October 19 for about two weeks. I've got a few nights booked in Seoul (Hongdae) but nothing else planned. Current route is Seoul-Sokcho-Busan. My primary interests are eating and hiking. Two questions: are there any craft beer spots I should check out? And does anyone have a favorite place to hike/look at autumnn colors? Thanks.

If you're hitting up Sokcho, you are pretty much obligated to hit up Seorak Mountain -- the colors there should be pretty great and it's pretty much where all the pictures of Korean mountains come from. It can be a tough hike though.

Busan has a few mountains too. Jangsan is fun, Geumnyeongsan is pretty easy and not very crowded. Geumjeong should be gorgeous too.

Honestly, all of Korea is mostly mountains, so there's not really any point you can't just go find one to climb. Pretty much all of them by cities will have some sort of hiking trail, and they all have wonderful views. Haven't found a mountain here I don't like yet.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

For translation needs, Papago is actually pretty great, and tends to do ok with stuff google translate fucks up. Knowing hangul will let you order coffee problem free.

Renting a wifi egg is super easy, just pick it up at the airport.

Most signage is in Korean and English, as mentioned. The public transport here is very good and pretty convenient.

Korea is all mountains, and it's mostly hilly.

My favourite temple is Haeinsa, but if you guys are only going to be around Seoul and Busan you probably won't get to do that. There's a really neat park with a tiny temple, and a bunch of good views--I don't remember the name of it, but can find out. Busan has some great hikes, too; Seoul has some easier ones, but despite living closer to it, I know less about the temples worth seeing there.

Def go to Jagalchi market in Busan for fish.

Def take Nullscan up on joining the kakao chat, just so you can get on the spot recs from people.

Almost no one will comment on what you're wearing, but you will be asked a thousand times where you're from. People will also probably try to talk to your partner in Korean first before they realize she doesn't speak any Korean.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

ftfy

how much does he know about pusan and sǒul?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

astr0man posted:

It's been a few years since I got my KEB/Hana accounts set up, but iirc it they had the same policy where I couldn't get a card that worked outside Korea until my account had an ARC on file, so that's not a KB specific thing.

You will need to fill out a form confirming you want to do international purchases. The form is fairly simple, and you will need to provide a stateside address. Whether or not the teller will know how to do all this is going to be a very ykmv* experience, and it might take anywhere from ten minutes to hour+ as such. If you have a Korean phone (it sounds like you do), 120 can provide a translator; I don't think it's supposed to be used that way but whatever. With Nonghyup, I actually had to get a specific debit card (NH Global unlimited) with my account because I wanted to be able to make international purchases.

It is a pain in the rear end, and some services (looking at PSN) still won't accept it, but for 99.9% of things I don't even worry at all.

*your korea may vary

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

PTizzle posted:

Would I be able to get an invite to the Kakao group? ID is DylanT. About to come and study in Seoul for a month - a little nervous, but this thread has been a great read.

I'm getting a user not found when I try to find you by that. Can you go to the friends list, click the add friend (top right next to the settings cog), and check what it says next to MyID? Or add me (felixfelixitas7) and I'll get you into the groupchat

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Mummy Xzibit posted:

For sure, but at least in the budae jjigae it compliments the flavor of the soup, unlike the galbi tang which, well, doesn't.

Mind you I've never had galbi tang in the states so maybe its better in k-town?

Knock off Kraft definitely compliments your trashy spam water, you are correct.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

E_P posted:

If you are near a subway line you are in Seoul!

Even Chungcheongnam-do is Seoul!! And now Busan is also Seoul???? And Daegu??? I had no idea subway lines were so powerful :ohdear:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Turns out that actually every major city with a subway is actually Seoul.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

What's this clear day you speak of?

(The air has been clearer lately than it was all spring, so there's that, but it's been raining and cloudy too.)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Jeonju for food, and I'll even give your recs once I sort out which places are still there

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Jeju has best pig, if you guys can go to Jeju do it. Plus it's fun to crawl up all the hills.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It's going to depend on the dental clinic--some rip off everyone, so you're best bet is to ask a Korean coworker for a reliable dentist. Though if you don't speak much in the way of Korean, that might limit you to English language clinics, which run a bit more.

I know when one of my back molars collapsed and I got it fixed, it cost me about 400k at a fancy English clinic.

If you end up in Seoul, people here will probably know some dentists you can talk to.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It's traditional for a grieving party to give rice cake or walnut bread to those who sent condolences. This isn't a gift cycle.

eta: usually the condolences are money, but the flowers probably counted since you got a gift

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Not that I know of, but I haven't been very close to any of my coworkers who have family pass.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

They'll usually do a local anesthetic only, if at all, and you'll want to check beforehand to avoid nasty surprises.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

One more question for anyone who's done the teaching route:

For the background check, how recent does it need to be? Like I see there are options for expediting the process, but I'll be heading there around March if everything goes as planned and I'm not sure if the background check...expires, I guess? Can I get the check done now or do I have to wait until it's a little bit closer and go the expedited route?

It needs to be within six months of your visa issue date; if you're coming in March session, any time from October 1st to hire is fine.

ETA: It's going to need an apostille and the sooner you have it ready to send the better--they definitely start working on your visa paperwork before March.

felgs fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 23, 2019

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

ToxicToast posted:

What happen to all the English teachers over there during COVID? Did hagwons close down? Also, has SA just aged out of people going over there or is South Korea seeing less English teachers? Since I am in education now back in the USA I know a lot of people who also taught English overseas but anyone who did it and is younger than 30 seem to go to teach in China.

10 summers ago I just was beginning my journey as teacher in South Korea and even though I have been back to Korea a couple times the past couple years I don't know anyone who is still teaching English there. When I look at salaries they are the same at best or even lower than a decade ago so that has to be a problem.

The hagwon I used to work at and I'm still on fairly good terms with closed for several weeks with online only classes; they've since reopened. I know a few hagwon teachers got janked around about pay as well, but don't know the deets. Public school pay was no problem.

Public school got delayed three times, then moved to online only, and has been reopening in some capacity across the country. Next Monday will be the last batch of kids coming in. How schools are handling the kids attending kind of depends on the area and if there are new active cases happening in that district.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's all kinds of everyday frustrations like any country, but like I said the biggest, by far worst part of Korea is the working environment. The vast majority of teaching jobs in Korea suck. Korean work expectations suck. If you can get any kind of real job where you don't have to do that and get weird perks like good pay or more than three days a year of vacation, you've won Korea.

This is by far the most annoying part, and I have a relatively good job teaching I actually enjoy with good coworkers and get to take several weeks off during school breaks. But most work environments and expectations here are absolutely awful, having gone through several to get to my current job, and if you can skip straight past that to good pay and not the stupid work environment, you've won.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

Anyway,

Without irony. This is the stylistic choice I've made and I intend to stick to it.

It is a stylistic choice that is going to make her go the opposite direction if she has any sense.

I strongly suggest you consider why your stylistic choice insists on using the word "love" when same letter demonstrates you don't actually know her that well. There are a thousand better ways to give a person you're interested in a gift, and none of them involve writing her a letter in Korean that sounds like the intent you've shared in English.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It's still down! Got me out of going out.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Everyone checked in okay

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I took my mom to Lotte World when she visited, it's not that weird to be an older person there. It would be weird to be alone, but my mom had a good time. It's a fun little afternoon, but skip the Lotte aquarium, it's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It was announced that from April 2023 until Dec 2024, k-eta isn't required for 22 lucky lucky countries

announcement here