Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just got married and re-signed for another year. As much as Korea drives me insane sometimes, for now I've made a nice little home here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Former co-teacher. He's told the story before and the obsession with it is kind of embarrassing now.

I'm not sure but I think you must be talking about someone else. It is indeed my former co-teacher but I don't remember any "obsession" about it. I think I mentioned it once briefly in the last thread and that was about it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

The problem isn't with you, but with people in chat. Prob shouldn't have mentioned it.

Ahh I see. I haven't paid attention to the chat in more than a year. Anyway the wedding was really great and our families got along great so now it's back to regular old life. Thank goodness spring is finally here!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah, just like SARS and bird flu and Ebola and everything else before it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Raphisonfire posted:

You have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car than actually catching MERS almost anything people are scared of because of mass media.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

With EPIK you're going to spend your days yelling "apple" at seven year olds while your brain, which has no role in your job, thinks about all the years you spent in university to be here. There are almost no jobs other than elementary now, it's literally babysitting.

Man, I don't know why you're so harsh on EPIK. Just for a bit of a view from a different perspective, I have my California State teaching credential in addition to my bachelor's, and I've had an EPIK job teaching 5th and 6th grade for two years now. Yeah, for someone with a doctorate it might not be the best possible job, but the pay and benefits are good and it's quite rewarding. It's anything but babysitting - I plan great lessons and have wonderful student response. I've helped students go from not being able to say the alphabet to being able to ask and answer basic questions. Am I saving the world? No. But I'm definitely doing real teaching and making a real, albeit small, difference. Like most jobs, you get out of it what you put into it. Sure, there are some teachers who party all the time and play bomb games every day and turn their brain off, but there are plenty doing real work. You act as if teaching adults at University is tremendously different. I've taught adults before and you can just as easily babysit them if that's your approach to teaching.

Plus, CommonShore admitted he's looking to make some money and experience a different slice of life for a bit. CommonShore - how do you feel about teaching kids? Have you done it before, and if so, did you enjoy it? With EPIK, you'll only be working about 4 hours a day and you'll have another 4 to work on your own personal projects, so it's also really nice in that regard.

Whizbang posted:

:laugh:

You can do much better than EPIK duder, it's the McDonalds of teaching jobs.

Nah, hagwon work is the McDonalds of teaching jobs. EPIK is like...a TGI Friday's?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Andro posted:

Finally, a Korean rapper that isn't total poo poo:
http://youtu.be/rz-_mstXfr0

Hahaha, sure. This is an ironic post, right?

If you're serious, Tablo would like to have a word with you.

https://youtu.be/xgOz8465CQY

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My wife and I are headed back to the states in March. We are mailing 95% of our stuff through regular mail and it's really cheap and easy. However, my wife has a big desk and cabinet that were both very expensive that she'd like to take. Anyone have experience shipping furniture back home?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm finally going back to the states after almost three years here. What's the situation with sending money back home? I know the exchange rate is in the shitter right now. Should I wait it out for a better rate or bite the bullet and close my account now, assuming I don't urgently need the money I've earned here?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Back in the States now but need to mail some stuff to my wife's family. Mailing from Korea to the US was so cheap and easy - is there any decent option for the reverse? It's insane; we paid like 40 bucks for a massive 20kg box by boat in Korea but here the USPS wants 90 for a little box of snacks. It seems air is the only possibility here. Am I wrong?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm getting conflicting reports on ability to send beef jerky into Korea. Experiences?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Best ways to continue learning Korean after moving back to the US? I found a good course in SF that I'll take starting in January. Any other good resources?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A WiFi egg is just a portable WiFi emitter. I have visible tattoos and never had a problem - I even went to a water park. It’s not as restrictive as in Japan.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Back in Korea for a bit and it’s hot as balls and muggy. Man, I miss a lot of things but the weather is certainly not one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Been going back to my old gym and I forgot how loving rage inducing EVERYTHING at Korean gyms is. I wish I could find some sort of hole in the wall strongman gym. Got told I couldn’t do deadlifts and all the bench press stations are taking by old people doing leg raises. No EZ-bar, no belt for weighted dips/pull-ups, no weights smaller than 2.5kg for actual progression capability on lifts like overhead press, barely any barbells and an endless row of treadmills. Thank goodness I’m only here for a month.