Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I asked this in the airfare thread but maybe some local experts would have additional suggestions too:

mobby_6kl posted:

What are the cheapest routes between Korea and Japan? I want to visit both on one trip and thought there'd be something on a short flight like between like Busan and let's say Hiroshima but I'm not seeing anything. Are there some secret lowcost airlines that aren't available to the dirty foreigners or something?
I tried like a dozen permutaions and the best I could find is Busan <-> Fukuoka for $200 which isn't the end of the world but it's like 200km so wtf. It won't kill me but considering my flight from Europe is like $350 I'm not sure it makes any sense to complicate the trip like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A ferry could work too, 3.5 hours is fine, though it limits the itinerary somewhat. I would've wanted to visit both Busan and Fukuoka anyway though. A return trip is at least 24,000JPY though with fees and taxes so not much better than planes. Not the end of the world, I guess I'm just spoiled by European LCCs.

Toxic Mental posted:

Be careful taking that ferry, you might get off in Fukuoka and have a stark realization how much nicer it is than Seoul and then spend the rest of your life there. I know I did.
I fail to see a problem with that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bugblatter posted:

The ferries can be canceled if seas are too choppy, so it's a little bit of a risk. All in all not worth it IMO.
I've gotten stuck for two days waiting for a ferry from Sicily to Lipari and yeah can confirm that it does suck.

How many days would you suggest spending in Seoul (including for day trips like DMZ or whatever) on a first trip? As I probably mentioned before, I'd be splitting 3 weeks between Korea and Japan and was planning roughly 7/14 split. I have some vouchers for accomodation that I have to use until EOY so I'd just book something now.

E: lol can't book poo poo now because Saudia canceled the flights with no replacement, apparently I have to wait for the new schedule due in January

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 23, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ehh I don't know :v:

I've spent a week in NYC before (twice, years apart) but I travel to the US semi-regularly so it's easier to justify. I think I'd like to see more of Korea - several cities/town, some nature stuff. For example in Taiwan I visited Taipei, Taichung, Khaosing, Haulien, but also Taroko and Kenting parks, and Green Island. I had more time though so obviously something would have to be sacrificed.

If I can extend the trip for free once they publish the new schedule maybe I could just work remotely from Seoul for a week while exploring the city, which would make things a lot easier of course.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw Korea requires their own stupid K-ETA thing. Is everyone going to require this poo poo now? It's basically a visa that's only a bit less anoying to get :(