Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

woops, misunderstood. I have no idea what an esim is!

The pocket wifis are pretty small though, it's not a huge hassle to carry around.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

CaptainEO posted:

Yes. There are booths outside of baggage claim at Incheon airport specifically for renting SIMs and loaner phones. You can also get a prepaid SIM at any cell phone store in town, but it might be difficult unless you bring a friend who speaks Korean.

(I used to use prepaid SIMs, but now I use my US-based Google Fi, which has international coverage).

Trains are easy without speaking Korean, the apps are great and the stops are posted in English. Local buses not so much -- the station maps are korean only, and many buses don't have a screen so you have to listen for the name of the stop. The inter-city buses are much more accessible though.

Last I checked (several years ago tbf) in order to get a prepaid sim at a cell phone store you needed to have already been in the country for 48 hours, and the appointment would take 20-30 minutes as they needed to call someone and fax your ID somewhere. The 48 hour rule never made much sense to me, maybe it changed. Either way, much easier to get that sorted out before leaving the airport where they are much more used to foreigners needing a prepaid SIM.

Noraebang (karaoke) is everywhere. Tip, go for a coin noraebang -- you still have your own room and it's typically something like 1000/3 songs which goes a lot further than the hourly rate, especially if it will take you 10 minutes to figure out how to use the remote.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

So my heir apparent and wife are planning on visiting Korea this spring. It's my understanding that he's gonna need a Korean passport to go into Korea, and will need his US passport to get back into the US, right?

I'd love to join them, but I used up all of my vacation time last fall to help be a good dad and help raise him in those first few months. So, sorry kgoons no soju chugs :sad:

I think for young children who have never been to Korea and never been issued a Korean passport, you can enter with their birth country passport and explain your situation at immigration. but don't take a goon's word for it, this is just something I vaguely remember reading while looking up something else.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Two of my favourite things to do in any foreign country are live sports and music. If you're into baseball at all, seeing a game in Korea is a must -- tickets are cheap, beer is cheap, and plenty of good food available inside and out (which can be brought in.) And if seeing an indie rock lineup in a 200sqft underground basement bar with 8 other people for a $5 cover sounds fun (it is), you can certainly find that in Hongdae, although you might be twice as old as anyone else there.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

here again to actually go into the city proper (instead of just back and forth between my hotel and a music festival) to see some touristy things before i promptly fly out again

glad to see that google maps is still not quite useful, and that kakaomaps apparently cant find things when using latin characters. also it won't let me save locations without an account, and refuses to let me create an account because i am "suspicious"

i like the airport train having both japanese-language announcements and DOKDO IS OURS ads

Naver maps works well enough in english. although you won't be able to save locations there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I just saw Korea requires their own stupid K-ETA thing. Is everyone going to require this poo poo now? It's basically a visa that's only a bit less anoying to get :(

Only a bit? You fill out a web form and get it emailed back in five minutes. At least, that's been my relatives' experience.