Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
You guys want to join our Kakao chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

I did my Hep vaccines maybe 1.5 years ago. It was 3 rounds of shots here and I think cost me total of $120?

He's asking about the Human papilloma virus, not the hepatitis virus.

I did a basic search and three shots of gardasil will set you back ~$300+ US. They don't really vaccinate men here yet, but I can't see it being any cheaper for men.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

wifi everywhere

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

TreFitty posted:

This thread seems pretty dead. Did everyone go home because all the jobs dried up or what?

I don't miss only having alcohol as a way to relax. Sadly, soju is now $7/bottle for me if I ever want it.

Hey get back into chat.

In other news I went up Seoraksan last Thursday.

nervana fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 10, 2015

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Rekka posted:

Japan goon visiting Seoul for a week. Would love an invite to kakao group.

ID is bdom28

ID not showing up. Make sure to set ID to "searchable".

*edit* nevermind

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

relish tray? lol what are we gonna have hot dogs or something with this?

edit no but srsly thank you for helping cook or whatever for the thing

Come out, LSD. We are waiting for you.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Where is the best Indian food in Seoul?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

superm0nk posted:

Best curry in Korea

Took the long trek up to HUFS area with astr0man to try it, and I'll have to say The Ganges was very good.

Some lovely pics of the food:

ps. Goonsgiving is this weekend. You should come Love Stole the Day. Do you really want to miss out on food made by Korea's best gooncook Maxsmart?

nervana fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 23, 2015

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

ladron posted:

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may now have to sell/give away everything I own in the next two weeks. Let me know if you want anything email ladron@hotmail for pictures, model numbers, etc).

washer/dryer
medicine cabinet
big plastic storage box
2 bookshelves
shitload of spices
small cabinet
rice cooker
toaster
electric kettle
shitload of pots/pans/silverware
3 fans
2 big rear end tvs
clothes rack
box of electronic goodies
like 5 mirrors
korean style low cabinet
2 rugs
bed and blankets
5 closets
mountain bike
2 camping chairs
sofa
lip sofa
office chair
ottoman
awesome comfy spinny chair
comfy chair
2 tv stands/ cabinets
shoe closet
coat stand
computer desk
2 grills and a bunch of charcoal
decent size fridge (not like a tiny dorm fridge)

no microwave? because I was just looking for one.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Hahaha omg I've known you goons for years now how come it's the first time I've seen these?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

I miss you all. I'll be back in chat in a few weeks :smith:

ps. bike dude try typing "자전거 수리" in daum maps.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

ladron posted:

I have a korean friend in changwon, let me ask her

EDIT: just go to kimbap cheonguk 김밥 천국(kimbap heaven) it's everywhere. The jae yook dop bab (spicy pork and rice) was a favorite of mine. Don't eat the side dishes there, tho.

EDIT 2: or even hansot, that's a cheap chain too

hansot is fast food quality, kimbapcheonguk is slightly higher than fast food quality (I love bongu bapburger). They are safe go-to's so you don't have to resort to McDonalds the whole time you're here.

I would say English on the menu is a marker for 8k+ food, if you want to go cheaper than that you want to find a local mom-and-pop(mostly mom) ie non-chain brand restaurant. If they care at all about making money then they won't mind taking a minute making a few recommendations for you.

Whatever you do though don't be like those 4 foreigner guys that camped out Brooklyn burger the other day I was there. They were already done eating when I sat down and were still chilling when I got up to leave, with 3+ teams waiting to grab a seat.

ps. the word for gym is 헬스 (health), check out several because quality varies widely and some may try ripping you off

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

ladron posted:

month to month membership

I know this is A Thing but I don't think this is good advice because 1) you are paying a lot more going month to month 2) I haven't actually had this happen to anybody I know personally

I guess the key point is to just be careful and don't hand them your money without looking around first, maybe ask a friend to vouch for a place.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Eat bbq, drink makgeolli. Myeongdong kalguksu is famous for a reason, go there and get noodles. Go to Seoul Pub at 3 AM.

pretty much this. I'd say there's probably no reason to go South of the river, so get a place up North. If you tell us what you're interested in we may be able to make suggestions. Install kakaotalk and join chat.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

joedevola posted:

If I had broken it I'd put my hands up and pay for it, but I didn't. Tempered glass just shatters spontaneously sometimes. If it had happened two minutes earlier when I was showering it would have hosed me up pretty badly.

I'm not paying to have their building's haunted rear end bathroom fixed. If they try and stiff me on my security deposit I'm going to paint everything bright neon green before I leave.

on the bright side, think how much more room you'd have to do your dishes!

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I was looking for new ways to make my apartment smell like rotting dairy.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/09/30/2015093000490.html

in return for my services how about a new av for me

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

So tomorrow I'm finally going to Jeju, and it looks like it's going to rain the entire time I'm there. Any of you know of interesting 'indoor' activities on Jeju? We're strongly considering a trip to the Magpie Brewery.

Anything else?

Sex park obviously. Maybe the aquarium? Naver says Hello Kitty Island is a nice indoor activity. Honestly I think you're boned. Buy a rain jacket because all the nice stuff is outdoors.

Things I would be sad if I didn't get to do them: 우도, 성산일출봉/섭지코지

nervana fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 26, 2016

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

Back from Jeju. we did the lava tubes and that crater mountain island thing nervana mentioned. Was nice time and I wish I could have stayed longer.. Still though, I can scratch Jeju off my bucket list now.

Let's go again. Does magpies do actual tours of their place or what. Guri are you going to show us where you put the special sauce in?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Who is the goon that worked at the movie place in Mapo?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Doesn't cost too much so I would get it if I were you. "Free wifi everywhere" is definitely misleading as while it would be possible to do if you were on a tight budget, would be kind of a pain to look for one.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
What place has the best wings nights? (limiting the area to itaewon)

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
What are your thoughts on impeachment of PGH?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
10 more days :getin:

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Winter is coming

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
LOL if you don't eat at Kraze burger

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

I thought they closed down??? The ICN branch, the SNU branch, the 숙대 branch... all closed a couple of years ago.

The KG burger was amazing.

afaik they still have one near Seoul Station. Kind of a shame because in Korea Lotteria has the best local style burger(and mozzarella sticks) but when you wanted a real burger that tastes like stuff from back home Kraze is best.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I've also noticed an increase in jorts-wearers. I also saw a Korean dude with a swastika tattoo wearing one

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

TsarZiedonis posted:

Huh, that's kind of neat. The etymology of loan words in the language is cool. Like, this was the first time I'd heard people use the term "Vacons" for summer break.

Both are French loan words. pension for hotel/bordinghouse and vacance for holiday.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I’m not there fighting for team summer, so the winterlovers like tom and peter are free to just gently caress up the place with their perverse love of the cold.

"What? This is cold? This isn't cold. Where I grew up in [insert a Midwest US state here] this is practically shorts weather"

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I've only been there once but I was not very impressed with the food there. If it is the makgeoli, there are plenty good places around now. If it is the lovely/awesome interior, there are many of those near universities. What am I missing?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
So who's watching Crazy Rich Asians?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Happy goonsgiving y'all. Make sure to do somethin crazy.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Budae jjigae often has cheese and isn't labeled, but is also gross so there's no reason to eat it.

trump lover spotted

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there's a museum about how the area resisted the Japanese occupation.

say no more fam

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
how many goons still left in Korea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
don't die from missile attacks, goons