Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My job for 1.5 years in Seoul was Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat, 6-10PM, 2.1 million per month. Permanent 3 day weekend and just 16 hours a week and adult teaching of mostly young college students. If you can find a good, small business hagwon with a sane owner (rare) then they're the best jobs by far, but it's true that the majority of them, including my first, are horrible nightmares. Sadly the hagwon closed because most of the other teachers couldn't keep students coming back. It was a sweet deal for me but it was only because I dug really deep on job boards that no one really knows about usually to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hey while we're still here and saying our goodbyes, let me just say a big "gently caress you" to former Korea thread post James AKA "aeglus", for trying to blackball me out of our shared friends and my social life back in like 2011-2014 when I was in Korea because I had coffee with a girl who you liked but was never into you at all. I'm glad you got caught and arrested selling drugs on the side during your time as a club promoter (which actually meant begging our friends to buy tables and bottle service at clubs) while you were a Kindergarten teacher (during which time you had an illegal fraudulent visa that you bought from the Brazilian embassy) and got your rear end banned from the country. Last I heard you were teaching at an elementary China were they don't look at your work history or whether or not you commit tax fraud abroad (you did). After you left everyone rightly called you a snake and laughed at your loser rear end.

Anyways, love to everyone else whether or not the forums exist in a month, week or day. I would also like to state that I was the one who first quoted this thread's subtitle. Cheers.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

My friend keeps wanting me to move to Korea with him. He even says he might be able to hook me up with a job that will set me up with a room and board before I move.

It's making me intrigued, but like I was wondering what life is like in the country? I visited there before but very briefly.

It's a place to live but not a place to make a life.

edit: ...In my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree. I think if you're a young single guy, go for it. I had a blast but I wouldn't want to live there indefinitely, especially in the teaching English path. I was deeper into the language, culture, country than 99% of the people who go to live there ever get and I still mostly saw it as an extension/expansion of college partyzone antics. Of course, your mileage may vary and it will be what you make it.

Most part of Seoul are crushingly depressing to exist in/look at in the daytime. It kind of sucked the lifeforce from me towards the end of 3 years. Again, YMMV.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 10, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Move there for a year. And if you can avoid teaching children, then definitely go for it. At the very least it's worth it for having the experience of having lived in more than just the USA. You might like it and want to stay longer.

If you're not white and not Asian you'll probably get somewhat of a different treatment than most but nothing bonkers or legitimately racist. People will stare but you but it's not malicious. At worst you might get passed on by some taxis or something. Most Koreans will probably assume you're a G.I. from an American airbase or something like that.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Will you be in or close to Seoul? If so, definitely do it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's in Pyong Taek. 50 minutes south of Seoul.

Keep in mind that if you live there you'll probably rarely want to take that 1 hour trip to Seoul, maybe on the weekends occasionally in the beginning but for the most part you're going to be chilling in Pyeongtaek.

Pyeongtaek is dirt cheap and you'll be able to save a ton of coin. Food in Korea truly is loving awesome, even with all the hype, and you should eat out and get KBBQ and Dak Galbi as much as you possibly can. You can probably live very comfortably even on like $2000 a month. You'll get a truly authentic Korean experience because it's going to be way less international, with far fewer foreigners and English.

I'd say do it for a year and see if you like it. Not teaching little bastard kids English is already like 80% of the way to having an enjoyable experience and if you're getting set up with a job and housing, all the better.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 10, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ I was originally thinking there is no way I would want to do this, but now you guys are starting to somewhat convince me. :psyduck:

Can I ask - what's salary around? Either Korean Won or USD is fine, ballpark it if you have any clue.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Holy loving poo poo call your friend tomorrow morning and tell him to set you up with that job immediately.

edit: Those things can be flexible if you have an in-road. If you're good at what the job is asking you to do, ask your friend to do a solid favor and recommend you to the person who gives out that job despite the lack of the master's degree.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 10, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

What are the annoying parts of living in Korea?

You won't have to deal with most of them, but imo:

Listening in Korean language. Reading, writing and speaking it is quite easy but it's a very mumbly language when spoken by natives.

I assume you'll be living and working near or on either the Osan or Humphrey bases, which means getting to Pyeongtaek proper will require a car (not a big deal) but also means going to Seoul (for pleasure or for travel) will take longer than the 50 minutes you might have thought.

Nationalism.

Life in general can seem very face saving/shallow/surface level and style-over-substance in a lot of aspects. This includes how people act, what the cities feel like to live in, the media and pop culture. I feel like Koreans place excessive value on newness and have very little interest in preservation of the past, but considering their history of being poo poo on by everyone from all sides, you might understand how they think the past blows and want to get rid of it.

The summer weather is pretty gross, but you'll be indoors/in a car and air conditioned most of the time

-

Still, the benefits of the lifestyle, money, and experience you'll have will far, far, far outweigh any of these negatives, should you run across them, which you likely won't. As others said, the salary you'll receive will allow you to save thousands of dollars a month even while living in a pretty lavish and comfortable lifestyle, and not being a dancing monkey for children is a huge, huge plus. If someone offered me the job you're being offered right now, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The best way I've heard Korean nationalism described is "Patriots love their country, Nationalists hate everyone else's". Americans might be a 50/50 mix of patriotism (debatable, obviously, even if it's imagined/self-hypnotized) and nationalism, but Koreans find it pretty hard to praise themselves at all when they can opt to poo poo on Japan and China. Again, considering historically they've been pillaged every century over and over, you might understand how that still kind of is a thing in the national zeitgeist and pervasive for generations. Not to mention North Korea and compulsory military service, too.

Korean culture and mass media seemed more insular than other East Asian countries for the most part, there's international movies and TV and music but from my experience people focus a lot more on the homegrown stuff that gets played on the radio and TV. This probably ties into the nationalism thing too, hermit kingdom, little man syndrome, etc. The big stuff is talked about of course - Avengers, Louis Vuitton, Michael Jackson - but I rarely met people who were 'citizens of the world', so to speak. It could be that they were just hiding it from me or I didn't get out and meet enough people, but that's just my take on it. I knew people in Japan who were really into Game of Thrones and punk music, and people in China who loved classic rock from the 60s and 70s and old Simpsons episodes, but I can't say I met many people like that in Seoul.

As for corporal punishment - I never saw it there, even kids hitting each other was rare.

punk rebel ecks - Did you talk to your friend yet about skipping the M.A. stuff and getting a recommendation? I'm curious to know if you're going to go for it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah, equally ignorant. Most of the time I heard “King Sejong invented the best writing system on earth” (actually Korean an is extremely flawed and lovely writing system) and then something about Korea invented X food or X drink and it wasn’t some other country (which is almost always not true).

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's got it's good points, but it's also incredibly stupid and lazy how close they were to doing things in an objectively better and logical way but gave up because everyone was so used to Chinese script and stroke system.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I think if Japan or China told me their country invented French fries (yes I heard this from someone in Korea) I would probably groan just as hard

edit: yes and it was an adult who seemed normal at the time

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah sure dude right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

uguu posted:

I'd like to live in Korea for a couple of months.
Is Seoul a lot more expensive than other cities?
And is there anything there you can't find elsewhere?

What do you want to do in Korea and what drives you to go there

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Got some bad news for you about KoreaAsia.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm a stupid and ignorant American.

I've been told that Korea and Japan are far far more different culturally than most people think.

I understand that are different, but I'm wondering what are the most notable things that make them different culturally both in day to day life, social issues, and media?

This is pretty accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8J6wMwQ-Ho

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

AmbientParadox posted:

why what happened today

lowtax committed suicide

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Personally I'd spend more time outside of Seoul than inside it, and I think that's where you'd find your non-touristy gems. The Korean countryside is gorgeous, the vibe is great, the prices are cheaper, and the food is way better.

After living there for years I found Seoul to be a really depressing city for the most part, which is one reason I had to leave. Walking around during the daytime in most areas is just an exercise in seeing 90s era nu-brutalist buildings on the main streets hiding brick and green trim sadness blocs. I can't really think of anything particularly novel or exciting to go see. The food is still good though in Seoul. v:shobon:v But yeah I'd rather get out of the city than stay in it.

OP, if you're going to stay there, I'd recommend just taking Taxis everywhere pretty much unless you're near a subway station that can take you to where you wanna go. It's pretty cheap and a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's fine to say 안녕 to strangers, no one will care