Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

JimBobDole posted:

So anyone know what the helicopters are spraying over Seoul right now?

I believe there was a fire in Pyeongchang-dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

nervana posted:

Where is the best Indian food in Seoul?
This was the best curry I've had: http://maps.naver.com/?dlevel=11&pinType=site&pinId=33050063&x=127.0612701&y=37.5966051&enc=b64

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

how did you wind up with 5 closets?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

윙윙, I believe. Kinda like "wing-wing."

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

If you're going to Michigan, can't you guys just go to Toronto for a weekend or something and then come back? Not sarcastic.

US Embassy posted:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/visa_waiver_prog.html

Under the VWP, time spent in Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands counts towards the maximum of 90 days stay allowed under the program.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Many of us work outside of ESL now. There are plenty of jobs to be had if you're patient and persistent. The E-7 visa is not that hard to qualify for and covers a lot of different careers.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Raphisonfire posted:

What are you guys working as, if you don't mind sharing?

The closest thing I got to a job outside of ESL was working as a trader for an investment banking firm in Busan. The only catch was the visa (I was on a tourist one)
There are a few of us in the gaming industry.

ESL definitely was the gateway for most of us, but not everyone here. Of course your opportunities expand a lot once you're in the country, can interview in person, establish connections, etc. As AmbientParadox said, even within ESL your opportunities will get much better after your first year here (generally).

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

I think Yeongdeungpo is statistically the most dangerous area and it's south of the river.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Reminder that we do have a food map here: http://tinyurl.com/goonfood

It's largely concentrated in Seoul, but there are some in Gyeonggi-do and a few from our resident Jeju goon. If you have anything to add for your neighborhood, feel free. I'd say the less traveled the neighborhood, the lower the bar for what should be added (though we probably don't really need to know where the BBQ Chicken is in your neighborhood).

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Whizbang posted:

A lot of people came here to save money for student loans or whatever but now the exchange rate is poo poo so that doesn't work so well.
Speaking of which, SodaTransfer is in beta right now and offering free exchanges (USD-KRW only) for up to 3,000,000원.

I used it last month and it worked well, though it did take a couple days longer than a bank wire transfer.

superm0nk fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 2, 2016

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Maybe if you posted your neighborhood someone could help find something closer to you.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

He sold it in January, I believe, but I don't know much more than that.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Where you stay depends largely on what you want to do. In Seoul, Jongno is central and around a lot of the tourist stuff. Also seems like a good bet to find hanok accommodation. I think there are several on airbnb.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

How is loving Ashley still getting recommended in this thread?

It's...fine. It's a buffet, and it has an unlimited wine option, and that's...fine. But at this point it feels a bit like recommending Kraze Burger as a great dining establishment.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Do any of you have renters' insurance here? If so, did you get it a policy from your home country that provides coverage abroad or were you able to find something here?

I've only found one company that seems to offer coverage to expats here and their quotes are much higher (~55,000/month) than I'm used to back home.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey Koreagoons, I'm thinking about moving to a big city for one more year before I go back to America. I'm in Japan right now, but I'm considering hitting another country. Is Seoul fun? I've spent a few weeks in Korea but never lived there. If I did this I would need to teach English obviously because I have no other skills and don't speak Korean.
What do you consider fun? Seoul has cheap and vibrant nightlife and lots of accessible mountains for hiking.

Many people find the teaching/working conditions tedious at best, but if you've done it in Japan you'll probably be fine.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Aesis posted:

I am a patriot so I only read Chosun-ilbo.

How else would you know how to get canned ham out of the can?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The tip of the day is the greatest discovery.
What? You didn't know how to dry laundry quickly?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Is that before or after I soak my clothes in leftover milk?
You're forgetting that that also works for curtains!

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

While there are cartoons going all the way back to 2004, the real tips seem to have started around 2008.

Who knew old milk had so many uses?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

As for where I'll be at, its Guri City which is just outside of Seoul apparently by like 30mins.
Maybe 30 minutes to forgettable parts of Seoul, but you'll be a good hour out from anywhere fun.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Are you in Korea yet? Once you get your phone, download Kakao and join our chat.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

oldman posted:

Next weekend is the 막걸리 festival in Gapyeong (the place you go when you want to go to Nami island) I went last year and had a real great (drunk) time.
I also went last year and it was pretty fun. Susubori offered a free intro class for makgeolli making that was kinda cool, and is required if you want to continue their makgeolli brewing program.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

nervana posted:

Who is the goon that worked at the movie place in Mapo?
Same guy that runs the Korean film thread, I believe.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Emart and Home plus usually have Korean>US adapters from my experience but not US>Korean.

If your card is Visa/MC it should work.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

http://www.kobus.co.kr/web/eng_new/schedule.jsp

Is surprisingly not that awful for intercity express bus routes. It doesn't have any booking, though--for that you'll have to use the Korean site or book at the terminal as far as I know.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The E7 might be the most YMMV visa there is. It's sort of a catchall for a really diverse set of jobs and the requirements seem to be...flexible. There are a number of exceptions depending on your education level, rank of your university, your hiring company's size/history of proper tax payment/etc., relevant work experience, etc.

There are a lot of job codes that fall under the E7. If your company is motivated enough to hire you, there's probably a way to do it. Look around the job codes and find one that you think you can qualify for, then have the company massage the job posting/requirements in order to fit the job code. Sometimes it felt like a bit of a shell game while I was applying for mine, but in the end the immigration officers were very helpful and patient and it all worked out.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=866769057

Get these things and plug them into every available outlet.

Will they give you boneitis, hot dog fingers, and knee cancer? Probably.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

If you're going to have a smartphone here, download Kakaotalk and join our chat. There might be lots of discussion about tacos, but if you have questions we can be quite helpful.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The nearer the cheerleaders, the better. But everyone in the stadium will be cheering regardless of section.

If you're going to Jamsil during the summer, the third base side gets some pretty intense sun.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

DID YOU PACK THIS BAG YOURSELF, SIR

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Let me tell you about bitcoin,

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Story of the Blue Star (푸른별 주막)? Pretty sure it's still around. I was there a couple of months ago.

superm0nk fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 15, 2018

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The makgeolli is really nothing special, though. I'd recommend this place a lot more.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Are you a cop?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

guri posted:

For food a while back I added a lot to the Goon Food Map, wherever that is. But I should probably update it further as things have changed. But in general is a good starting guide. As most people reading this will probably already know I recommend against standing in lines as you will 9/10 times only be disappointed. Same with cafes; there are a lot of cafes that look very pretty but are completely underwhelming. If you are coming with a Korean partner or friend try to insist you don't waste your time with such places but also realize in the end people will just want to visit them in order to take whatever photos. Try and be a good person and keep a garbage bag or two handy to help pick up plastic coffee cups that end up being thrown all over the place.

I started thinking about food again and almost got into that but reminded myself that that discussion will never end so it is best for me to just update the Food Map at some point.

The goon food map is located here, for what it's worth: http://tinyurl.com/goonfood

No one has been actively maintaining it or updating it, so I'm not even sure what's useful/usable there now. I can try to work on the Seoul area a bit.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

As the first few posts in the thread will tell you, go ahead and get Kakaotalk on your phone and post your ID here. The chat isn't what it used to be, but it's still far more active than this thread.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

covid got us all

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

As someone who is considering moving to Korea, I will miss this thread and its valuable advice.

Download Kakao and join our group chat. It's not nearly as active as it used to be, but we can answer any questions you might have.

And to anyone that's been in the chat before and left, everyone's grown up a lot and there's nothing cliqueish anymore. Come on in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's a place to live but not a place to make a life.

edit: ...In my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree. I think if you're a young single guy, go for it. I had a blast but I wouldn't want to live there indefinitely, especially in the teaching English path. I was deeper into the language, culture, country than 99% of the people who go to live there ever get and I still mostly saw it as an extension/expansion of college partyzone antics. Of course, your mileage may vary and it will be what you make it.

Most part of Seoul are crushingly depressing to exist in/look at in the daytime. It kind of sucked the lifeforce from me towards the end of 3 years. Again, YMMV.

Yeah I have pretty much the opposite experience of this post.