Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

We do have five days though. Could escape Seoul and bounce down to the west coast, another Gwangju goon trip maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ffffffuck. Always read the notes on app updates. Cause the notes in the last Jihachul update which I neglected to check until it was too late read: Added ads and the ability to remove ads with in-app purchases.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

:parrot:

edit:
https://www.facebook.com/kakaofriends/videos/929565773823755/
there's a new kakao friend, and he's a fuccboi.

Oh my god

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh my god

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^
Daegu Ryan is gonna be pissed someone's coming at his crown...

I wish I could somehow import kakao emoticons into regular texting in the US. I need more Dejecteddog in my life.

I am Daegu Ryan, and I approve this emoji.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I am way to amused by this

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 31, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

Long weekend coming up. Any thing that can be done for a day or so? I'm not sure how free I / others will be, so~

I came back to chat just to try and get people interested in doing something but no one's biting :-(.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ashley's man. Unlimited wine and I'm told it's "classy as gently caress."

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Are people making real Ashley's suggestions now? What the hell

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Could make some online ordering easier as well.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I'm no economist either, but everything I've read just says it's gonna keep getting worse for a good long stretch.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Counterpoint, I've loved my time here.

Unless you have a specific attachment to Korea there may be better choices for starting ESL. I know a bunch of people who've switched to Vietnam for better contracts and are loving it there.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ladron posted:

Like those korean closet armoire things

Okay but how do you have 5?

Edit: Oh wait, you mean one of the big five piece sets. I see.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, even with VPN my connection here is better than it was with any of the options I went through back in the US.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That's about the time I do my annual autumn hike in Seoraksan, so weather wise it's good for hiking. Jeju will be a bit nippy for the beach, but it should be slightly less crowded with tourists (I don't particularly think there's anything on Jeju that needs to be prioritized over the mainland sights on a short trip though).

There's a minor holiday at the beginning of November, but it's not one of the ones that will affect travel at all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mainland has penis parks too

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My elementary books, published in 2015, use live videos and a few guys in chat use to discuss their curriculums live videos. They are awkward, but nothing approaching the stuff in that link.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Actually very few of the Korea goons are still teachers, most have moved on to other things.

Speaking the language helps a lot, having a unique skill also. Knowing people helps the most.

I don't think you'd be able to make the necessary connections to land a visa sponsoring job in a few months, let alone a few weeks, though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's safer for men like anywhere in the world, yeah. Girls I know who've lived in the US and elsewhere do consider Korea dramatically safer though. Crime rates are about on par with Japan all around I believe.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Seoul is safer than the European cities you mentioned.

It's still the real world so danger exists, but you'd be hard pressed to find a safer large city that isn't Tokyo.

Pollution wise it sometimes has some smog but nothing remotely approaching what you find in China.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A handy goon food map would be p cool for my next run through japan/hk.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

Come on sandwich holiday, give me a 4 day weekend. I want my 469,800krw tickets to Hawaii.

My summer holiday just got split up by camps, so you're probably gonna get a whole loving week off for buddha's bday.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Daegu has a bunch of international schools as well... I think most of the large cities do? I've not heard of any sort of index for them though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Suwon's violent crimes are higher relative to other Korean cities, but compared to large cities in the US, or most anywhere else... eh. I think most of its reputation comes from a handful of high profile crimes from a while back, but it's true that a lot of Koreans will refuse to go there based on said reputation.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TreFitty posted:

No, that's just the plan eventually :) Probably 2-3 years away.
Hmm, would you mind telling me some hints or a giant wall of text? PM or here - either way. I know little about either.

Here, rather than PM, if that's cool. Might be interesting to a few people.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Meanwhile, I have a lot of mixed race or straight foreign students who are treated fine. In the countryside though, where mixed kids are super common though, which might result in them being more accepted?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I teach at two elementary schools and two middle schools and have taught at others... I've never seen physical violence. Thunderdome?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

You're kidding me. A day didn't go by at my elementary school where someone didn't make someone else bleed. poo poo, kids from my school and Let Us English's school had a rumble- kids brought baseball bats to it!

Yeah, I've said this before, but the stories from you, Let Us English, and Fromage have told just make want to say gently caress Ulsan forever. The poo poo I hear from there is all nightmarish and doesn't correspond to my experience or the experience of any of my friends around Daegu at all.

Like, interschool rumbles are just beyond my imagination for Korea. The gently caress?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, lots of younger people still come here for gap years, but fewer for the jobs themselves, and since SA is a forum with an older (for the internet) population...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

And the cost of living's gone up so much. I know Seoul is cheaper but Ulsan was Tokyo prices when I left, with nowhere close to Tokyo pay.

The flood of Koreaboos has really helped employers drive down pay and benefits and increase the work hours, too. There's always some kpop idiot waiting to take the job if you want more than the minimum.

I mean... I really don't meet than many kpop fans among the incoming teachers.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't know if "someone who likes kpop" is quite the same as a koreaboo. Like enjoying the pop music doesn't mean you've moved to the country and put up with poo poo salary for it.

Like, yeah most people enjoy kpop. Because most people enjoy pop period.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Can we switch to kpop chat just to irk people? The people most sensitive to it aren't even in country anymore so their feelings don't matter.

It's almost time for summer girl group songs! Whose do you think will have the best song/video? Last years winners for song were clearly Sistar with AoA as a close second. However that was largely due to a poor showing from Girl's Day normally take the category.

What are your thoughts? No fair naming a third group because I might not know who they are.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Cheer Up being so forgettable after Ooh Aah was such a solid pop hit sucked! Doubt they'll be joining in on the summer hits so quickly though.

Oh hey AoA's entry is in. Everyone in chat has watched and discussed but are too big of pussies to post here and have kpop on their permanent record but idgaf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sno_genwMz8

It's pretty boring. Next!

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 16, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wait, is the chorus from Cheer Up actually supposed to be "Cheer up?" Cause if so, holy christ the pronunciation is wretched even by kpop standards, to the point where I assumed it must be Korean and the English title is never spoken.

Whizbang posted:

They had to take this video down and reupload because they forgot to blur out the Japanese car manufacturers. :laugh:

Also one of the members had some faint shadows in a shot that soooort of looked like underboob but were probably compression artifacts yet it still outraged people, so they had to fix those.

Still not as funny as the time almost all of an snsd video was lost during editing because the companies hard drive crashed and their was no backup, so the final result was just a few headshots run through goofy video filters and like .5 seconds of dancing.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 16, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

My buddy is planning on teaching in Korea, he has teaching experience elsewhere and has a Tesol and all that. Do any of y'all have a go to recruiter. He's Vietnamese-Australian so I'm worried a lot of Hagwons will be mysteriously uninterested in him. He's OK with country positions (Even though I've told him he's more likely to see racism there). Should he be expecting 2.2-2.3 or have wages gone up/down?

Should be 2.3 for rural with the year of teaching experience + tesol. If he gets a truly rural post (not just suburbs) he might have 2.4-2.5 after the additional bonus. I think Korvia is the recruiter everyone in chat uses.

Since I coincidentally have the Epik page open, Incheon, Busan and Daegu would pay him 2.1, and Jeju or smaller cities will pay 2.2.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 17, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TreFitty posted:

lol, as a guy that deals with this kind of customer (from an IT standpoint) daily, this is hilarious. Got links? :D

As someone who works in film it was hilarious because it means they were editing on the original data dump drive, which you never do for a host a reasons. It's amateurish as gently caress.

I don't have the links, but googling girls generation hard drive might pull the news stories up. Or you'll find koreaboos talking about their creepy image collections. Whichever.

In other weird kpop news, AoA gave a tearful apology for not recognizing several famous figures in Korean history during a game show hosted by their own company. Said extremely tearful apology was given while wearing the red baywatch swimsuits from their new song. It is weird and probably someone's fetish.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I like our current title too much. But if we changed "someone" to "the lummox," I'd be okay with it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ladron posted:

I have a feeling that you're the kind of person that makes a lot of bad decisions.
The word you are looking for is goshiwon 고시원

More right than you could possibly know.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

district 12 posted:

Hello again!

I have been determined to find a way to Korea and I did it! I was approved for an H-1 visa and will arrive in Seoul at the end of August.

I am a fledgling recurve archer and am thinking I might try to bring a bow setup with me. I was doing some research and it seems that Olympic-style archery is not a hobby the way it is in the US and it's hard to find open ranges, but is it impossible? Does anyone know where I might be able to shoot, even if it's just a hay bale set up in the middle of a park?

There's a big archery range by my place in Daegu. If we have one, Seoul has to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man that got lovely fast.

Kind of like all the summer kpop singles so far. Man none of these have been very good have they?