Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man the shuttles aren’t that bad, I’m pretty sure they’re only used for regional connections to Asia anyway. Every trans-pacific flight I’ve done pulled directly to the terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

!Klams posted:

We're looking at planning a trip to Korea in June, probably Seoul and Busan?

I appreciate this is kind of a stupid thing to ask, but, I'm really into Dakgangjeong. Is there someplace in particular worth visiting? In New York we did like a 'best pizza slice' tour (I mean, y'know, we plotted a route on google maps) and it was a cool way to explore, to just have a reason to wander vaguely in certain directions. Would something like that be possible or even slightly sensible?

Yeah, 닭강정 is everywhere. While the vast majority are national chains, there are enough famous individual stores spread around the city to plot a course. If you search around Naver for 닭강정 맛집 BEST you'll find a bunch of lists. Just check the Naver map entries for each to make sure there are recent reviews, restaurants come and go all the time.

The caveat is most of the ones ranked at the top will be in a few specific food-centric districts, and stuff near the palaces will mostly be generic chains. So, it'll be more of a supplement to a standard tour. Also, a lot of them will be takeout only, so you'd eat in a park or something (Really common in the months you'll visit. Can even have it delivered to you in the park if you're confident enough in giving Korean directions).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Every once in a while, out of the blue, I think of maple syrup guy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

North of the river is where you want to stay for convenient access to the stuff you mentioned. The neighborhoods Pentecostal Elite mentioned are all good recommendations. You can definitely find cool hole in the wall places hidden in the euljiro area, though you’ll need directions so ask again for specific places closer to trip. Lots of places for live music too.

If you a two day trip somewhere else, Busan is my top recommendation. It’s great and you can make a comfortable itinerary with a lot of Busan-specific things in that time span. Jeju is nice but very spread out with relatively poor public transport, so a bit less comfortable for a short trip.

I normally also advise people to get out of Seoul, but it sounds like with your travel goals you’d enjoy the week there. The only place I’d potentially add beyond Busan is Seokcho to see Seoraksan, if you’re a fan of hiking.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, I think so. I grew up as a suburbs kid and didn't really grow out of it, so cities seem less mundane to me than they probably are for most Americans. The idea of a big city that's relatively safe to explore is very appealing.

We'll need to work out vacation timing, but I feel like an 8-day visit might be appropriate: five in Seoul, two in Busan, and a bonus day trip to someplace else.

It looks like there's high-speed rail from Seoul to Busan. I assume like the other mass transit in Korea, it's modern/safe/fast/reliable?

Yeah the high speed rails (KTX and SRT) are fantastic. You’ll get nice views from of the countryside on the trip too.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Slightly less awful but still awful. Unless you’re at one of the handful of specifically vegan restaurants I wouldn’t really trust anything to actually be vegan.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

10 years ago I moved to Seoul apparently and now I've been having some really strong Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan moments this year. I imagine Hongdae has fallen to the same fate as every other cool party spot in Seoul from 10 years ago: the grimy fun parts have been pushed out in favor of franchise cafes and upscale cookie/cupcake shops.

Oh yeah, like 5+ years ago. I think 2017 was the first time I remember thinking “huh, all these cool grungy spots are just nice adidas stores now” and the transformation was complete a few years later.

Bar Da is still there though. Unchanged, cool, and still a health hazard.

There’s still no shortage of clubs and bars in the area of course. But it’s a very different feel.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Seoul bad.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That all sounds solid to me. Depending on what you like to see and do, you might reverse the ratio. I think Busan is the more pleasant city for my tastes and it’s a bit more spread out and takes longer to see, whereas Seoul is quite condensed. I think most people would recommend your current ratio for a first trip though.

Myeongdong is kinda a tourist trap, but that also means it’s a convenient place to stay and it’s probably the most central spot for most tourist sites. I normally stay in Seomyeon when I visit Busan. It’s the closest thing Busan has to a convenient center transportation-wise and a good nightlife scene.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That ferry takes forever, so you need a lot of time to save that money.

There are some local low cost airlines like JinAir, T’way, Peach, AirBusan, and a few others. They all show up on google’s flight search. You’ll have the easiest time finding cheap flights to Tokyo or Osaka as there are far more on those routes.

As for what price is a good deal… yeah $200-250 is pretty normal recently. I’d consider $150 a really good deal. You used to be able to grab them for under $100 and $300 used to be expensive holiday pricing… I guess since the route is so popular lately (lots of tourism between the two due to the falling yen) airlines can charge a bit more?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The ferries can be canceled if seas are too choppy, so it's a little bit of a risk. All in all not worth it IMO.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Easier to make suggestions if we know a bit about your interests. What do you want to do/see? Seven days in Seoul would bore me, but be great for others.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

You'd probably like getting out to Seoraksan National Park near Sokcho, visiting the historic areas in Gyeongju, and exploring Busan. Gyeongju can be explored in a day (or maybe even an afternoon) on the way to Busan. There's a lot of neat unique neighborhoods along Busan's coast to see, so a couple days could be nice. Sokcho could be a day trip from Seoul, though it would entail a lot of time in a bus.

A lot of the other cities are going to feel kind of similar to Seoul and the other nice natural areas require a bit too much time to reach on a short trip.

Maybe 2 days to explore Seoul, a day for the DMZ, a day for Seoraksan, a day to hit Gyeongju on the way to Busan, then two days in Busan? Assuming your next destination is available from Busan (If you do Korea first, it's easy to fly anywhere in Japan from there).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

growing out a long rear end beard and dying it white so I only have to learn 반말

Brilliant

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Changdeokgung and Changgyeonggung are the best palaces imo. They’re also right next to each other (and share the secret garden).

Gyeongbokgung I like a lot less.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There are a lot of really huge palace sets out in the countryside that serve as tourist theme parks in between shoots and that’s where most filming takes place. But as far as I know, it’s still true that there are still none on the scale (or have certain specific features) of Gyeongbokgung, so even that’s called for it still serves as a filming location. I’ve definitely passed it on the way to early morning hikes and seen film gear trucks with light kit being taken in and out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I could probably go through and update most of it next week when I’ll have some downtime. The teaching and visa stuff needs redone and the tourism info could def be better. I think the only part I’ll be clueless about is the clubbing scene. (I’m too old.)

Should it be a new megathread or just edits to this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054344

New thread. I'm gonna refine it more over the coming week, but the essentials are there.