Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have a masters have you thought about getting teaching certified so you can do international schools?

Just be a bit careful with what "international" school you are getting into to. There are many that are actually just private Korean schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
That's excellent! Also be sure to call around a bit when moving stuff. I had to hire a truck for my larger furniture to my new place (a full five minute drive from my old place) , and got quotes ranging from 300 to 60.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

dantheman650 posted:

Back in the States now but need to mail some stuff to my wife's family. Mailing from Korea to the US was so cheap and easy - is there any decent option for the reverse? It's insane; we paid like 40 bucks for a massive 20kg box by boat in Korea but here the USPS wants 90 for a little box of snacks. It seems air is the only possibility here. Am I wrong?

Make friends with someone who has an armed forces address? Those count as domestic no matter where they are. Its slow boat, but it will get there.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

dantheman650 posted:

I'm getting conflicting reports on ability to send beef jerky into Korea. Experiences?

I've had no problems, but I only got four bags at a time.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
There is a Canadian run "international" school in Sokcho as well. http://www.siscanada.org/about-education-program-korea

I know almost nothing about it though, just that its reputation was well regarded.

International schools are more autonomous than 'normal' (ie religious) private schools in Korea. I work for a Seventh Day Adventist elementary school, and the majority of textbooks are public issue and we are subject to inspection and oversight by the local education office; something that international schools are not. This can be either a good or bad thing depending on your perspective and situation; but seeing how some hagwons have worked in the past: some oversight can be helpful.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

AmbientParadox posted:

They evolved into Wizards. Deal with it.

No, they turned into the Heroes.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Immigration likely won't give that much of a gently caress for military dependents (unless its something worth getting out of the office for like drugs or something)

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Apparently I have had the incredible luck of every dedicated bike shop I have been to has also been a repair center? God bless Gangwon. :kimchi:

I think I'd like to nominate Shinan County (신안군) as 'worst shithole in Korea' what with their salt farm slavery and now students' fathers raping teachers.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

superm0nk posted:

Do any of you have renters' insurance here? If so, did you get it a policy from your home country that provides coverage abroad or were you able to find something here?

I've only found one company that seems to offer coverage to expats here and their quotes are much higher (~55,000/month) than I'm used to back home.

I have have Samsung for both my renters' and cycling insurance. The renters' comes out to 30,000 a month.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
The major streaming sites are blocked, but since it's a manual process (volunteer busy bodies) there are still plenty of options for you. Tumblr is popular for korean homegrown stuff.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Next weekend is the 막걸리 festival in Gapyeong (the place you go when you want to go to Nami island) I went last year and had a real great (drunk) time.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

TreFitty posted:

Koreans are nothing if not blunt with one another very often, and very often in very immature ways - a lot of it having to do with status and so on. Everything seems to be a pissing contest. That was my experience in Gangwon, anyway. I saw it less in Seoul, at least in English conversations in places of business.

In Seoul they just use their cars in place of conversation.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

TsarZiedonis posted:

Everyone was wearing jorts in Seoul last week, is it the new hotness?

Also, why do you call a beach motel a "pension?" And why do people let their dogs at at aforementioned beach motels and let them form roving gangs of dogs in the parking lots.

A good amount of people just abandon their dogs while on vacation, registration for pets is a thing now, but plenty of people don't. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Milksteak posted:

Anyone have a story of successfully purchasing tickets for the olympics along with a train ticket and hotel room booking?

I got two out of the three, but I am driving into Gangneung.