Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Onion Knight posted:

Man oh man Ashley Madison dug right in as soon as adultery was decriminalized. I'm seeing those ads everywhere now.

They're all over SA even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Bugblatter posted:

You're in the Korea thread and your comment is in response to a guy talking about Koreans. Even if you were for some reason mimicking asians in general, or mimicking the Chinese, it doesn't fix anything. Like I said, personal hygiene is absolutely an issue here, but it doesn't make pantomiming a befuddled local okay.

Can we pantomime an obnoxious care-troll instead?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Whizbang posted:

My girlfriend is a nurse and has repeatedly been told by older nurses not to wear gloves when dealing with bleeding old drunks in the ER "because it's rude."

Is there any aspect about Korean culture that does not encourage the spread of deadly diseases?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

God I miss alphabets.

There's no morphological clue to guess at new words in Korean though. That is, unless you already know Hanja, in which case the alphabet is an impediment to understanding. :smuggo:

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is how you goons sound when you complain about and generalize Koreans in this country

Please don't complain about goons complaining. It is Goon culture, please understand our situation.

I've never met anyone who couldn't read Hangul with a few weeks of arriving.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 5, 2015

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Nosleep is fiction so the latter.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Cameron posted:

I live in Tokyo now and there's not really any good designated college-level boozing section of the city like Hongdae. Thursday Party had drinks for 3500 won, which is like 30% of what you pay in Tokyo, as well as shuffleboard, beer pong, cheesy 90s music, etc. I miss it.

Takadanobaba. College bar city.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

EFL wages are higher than they were two years ago. Training centers used to advertise lots of 5k or 6k jobs, but 8k seems to be the floor now, which is still lovely. Who know what's going to happen, lovely economies create more demand as people train for new jobs, but over the long term they make wages stagnate a la Japan.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

And where exactly are you finding these magical 8k a month jobs? Because that sounds like bullshit imo unless it's some lovely Gangnam job with horrendous work schedules and no vacation.

Got this mixed up with the China thread.

To correct myself: gently caress EFL in Korea. Cost of living is too high, if it wasn't for the comped rent Japan would be cheaper with the same wages. China has higher savings potential and Taiwan's isn't far behind.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm just securing an EPIK position (destination as yet unknown), but the bit about "buy your electronics in North America" kind of has me alarmed. How big of a markup is this? Right now my main computer is a desktop, and I was planning to buy a lower-end gaming desktop when I got there. Is this A Bad Plan?

Also, I haven't been able to find anything about internet quality in rural areas, as I suspect that EPIK wants to send me to one of those far-flung locations. Is rural internet poo poo, or will I be able to continue my online gaming and shitposting lifestyle from (worst case scenario) some island in the Sea of Japan East Sea?

Lastly, if I don't drink, will the soju-swilling masses think that I'm strange?

Not nearly as much as people make it out to be. Especially if you buy off gmarket. It's only laptops and tablets you've really got to worry about. Desktop parts are just a little more expensive.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I actually have a doctorate in English, but I'm so sick of universities right now that the thought of getting a B.Ed makes me contemplate suicide. I'm in desperate need of change. This EPIK gig seems to me like the fastest-accessible not-a-scam route to a radically different life than the one I've lived for the last 7 years.

It is, but your masters gives you access to much better jobs on the TEFL ladder.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

CommonShore posted:

:laugh: all you want, but the academic job market is complete poo poo right now, especially in the humanities, and I refuse to sit around unemployed. I'm going to have to move out of the city I'm in anyway, and so if I'm going to make $20,000 next year, I'd rather get a fresh start out of it and jump on a chance to travel. I'll spend a or two year doing the EPIK thing, apply for post docs and other positions, and see if I secure work at an Asian university.

In fact, I know for a fact that I'll make more money doing EPIK than I would staying where I am and fighting for part-time positions.

He's not saying you should go into academia in the US. That doctorate could get you $50,000 abroad outside of Korea.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Ok, I just went and combed through a few thousand job postings again, and there's nothing resembling this anywhere - "$50,000," begging for doctorates, university, &c. Are the resources I have just awful and broken? Point me to where these jobs are advertised. Everything I'm seeing is garbage, even next to the EPIK pay package - stuff like ESL teaching, minimum 5 years experience, already have work visa or residency, $1100 USD per month kind of poo poo.

Just go on Serious Teachers. There's plenty of jobs in Oman and Abu Dhabi that start around $36k and go up to $50k. EPIK's the best deal you'll find in Korea outside a Uni gig, but if you've got the entire world to choose from, why Korea? I mean Korea's a nice place to live but there are way more exciting, lucrative, and interesting places in the world.

dantheman650 posted:

Man, I don't know why you're so harsh on EPIK. Just for a bit of a view from a different perspective, I have my California State teaching credential in addition to my bachelor's, and I've had an EPIK job teaching 5th and 6th grade for two years now. Yeah, for someone with a doctorate it might not be the best possible job, but the pay and benefits are good and it's quite rewarding. It's anything but babysitting - I plan great lessons and have wonderful student response. I've helped students go from not being able to say the alphabet to being able to ask and answer basic questions. Am I saving the world? No. But I'm definitely doing real teaching and making a real, albeit small, difference. Like most jobs, you get out of it what you put into it. Sure, there are some teachers who party all the time and play bomb games every day and turn their brain off, but there are plenty doing real work. You act as if teaching adults at University is tremendously different. I've taught adults before and you can just as easily babysit them if that's your approach to teaching.

Every school is different, as is every coteacher. If you didn't hit the jackpot with both EPIK is pretty frustrating.

dantheman650 posted:

Nah, hagwon work is the McDonalds of teaching jobs. EPIK is like...a TGI Friday's?

This is a good analogy.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 16, 2015

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Actually, the one bit of advice I'd like to give to people looking at Epik is this: Don't take contracts in Ulsan. Everyone who goes there winds up being beyond miserable, for whatever reason.

This is good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Hi Korea goons. I don't think we ever met while I lived in Korea, but I'm going to be in Seoul for work this week. Would anyone like to eat their weight min chicken and or pork belly and beer? Is there a Seoul goon Kakao?