Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Nice update brosef.

As an aside, as elder US Military Korea Goon, if you're PCSing here or need anything related to that side of life in Korea, feel free to hit me up on Kakao, Gmail, or on here. Username is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Aesis posted:

I always thought you were joking when you said you live in Korea :colbert:

Why in the christ would anyone fake being here? I've been here for 5 years cumulatively. Another 2 at least up in Seoul soon.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Maxsmart posted:

I'd really like the GPS if you still have it, I'll be in Seoul parts 1-6th. :worship:

Dunno if I'll be up there this weekend, but I do have it back again. I'll figure something out.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Cultural primer : don't gently caress with the olds, you're not Korean, please understand; traffic laws are fluid

Just be extra considerate to a fault and you'll be fine. It depends on what you are doing cash wise, but most places will take visa or mastercard of you don't pull cash.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

For a Japanese bike with medium miles that's not crazy. If my bike was scrapped I'd take a look at it, but I should be picking up mine from the shop today.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeaaaaah, that's gonna be a weird time. I can't imagine there's much of a Korean community around as there isn't a military base near by and it's not on the coast.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeah. So get out of my country you white devils.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Do the null route and get an associates degree, work in Seoul and ball hard.

Also sign your life away to the air force and be bored 90% of your life.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

We should show NK we can celebrate harder and change the timezone by 45mins!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Well the only casualty was my weekend plans. But at least I got to go meet up with some of the crew on Friday night. Back to work and no one is even mentioning NK.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

You keep trying to impose your Earth law on Korea. I'll never tire of watching your expectations be incorrect.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Chuseok has passed, now it's time for AMERICA!

And lovely mspaints I threw together when I was supposed to be working

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 28th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going simpler, with down home cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Maxsmart has stepped up to be lead chef this year and I'll be supplementing him where able. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 30, 2015

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TreFitty posted:

But will there be group forum reading on a big screen and goons calling other goons racists? You left out all the important details, sir.

Well don't be a racist and it won't happen?

Nah, j/k, it's calmed down since the inaugural meeting.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Which sign do you need? "Do this", "Don't do that", or "Cant you read the sign?". There are plenty around, but they block out the scenery and give me a headache.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Maxsmart posted:

Forgot the important part

This is of course not counting anything someone wants to cook or bring! I'll me making a casserole and maybe some sides as well.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I just keep all my spices in three tubes. Salt, Pepper, and Ms. Dash.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

nullscan posted:

Chuseok has passed, now it's time for AMERICA!

And lovely mspaints I threw together when I was supposed to be working

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 28th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going simpler, with down home cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Maxsmart has stepped up to be lead chef this year and I'll be supplementing him where able. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

ladron posted:

So, after 10 years here I'm leaving.
I'm giving away/selling most of my poo poo, so if you want something, speak up, and maybe I have it. I probably do. 10 years is a long time.
Mind, most of my poo poo has been spoken for by actual irl friends of mine, so may not be up for grabs.

A framed picture of Bob Dylan and I believe Linda Ronstandt chilling on a backwoods porch

Dibs. Where are you anyway?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Hahahahah. No.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Also skating in Korea seems like an awful idea. Too many people and/or too much trash and/or crazy scooters, cars, or people in their phones like me.

Yup. I did it for about a month commuting to work and it was a nightmare here. The sidewalks are a million chances to jam up your wheels and the roads are not for people.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

AmbientParadox posted:

Korea Megathread VII: The Gravy Train Finally Ended

I dunno man, it's pretty sweet about now.

Oh, heh, forgot you aren't suckling off Uncle Sam's teat like me and get paid in USD. Sorry brosef.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I used to have serious YouTube slowdown around 7pm every day, but if I used VPN it was fine. There's some throttling going on.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

There's always the militaahahajsha.

Please send help.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Emigrate to the Philippines, naturalize, then get hired to work in a Samsung plant for 16hrs a day/7 days a week. BOOM.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Haha, Jesus man.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I was stabbed once in Waikiki when I was a little drunk and went down the wrong alley.

I've been obliterated in Seoul and had to walk 5 miles home through every sketch alley imaginable multiple times and was fine.

There has been a rise of stories in the HBC / Itaewon area of weird dudes following single women around at night and flashing them though.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

City clean, air sometimes bad.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

With such innovative trash disposal methods such as 'Pile all the poo poo up on the street, don't buy the actual city waste bags so it wont get picked up, let street dogs and cats and wild adjummas pick through it for sustenance/recyclables, then finally scoop the remnants into a truck a month later' how could we not be the cleanest city in Asia?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Arctic Baldwin posted:

and it just got a pro baseball team

BULLSHIT

Suwon Unicorns, never forget ;_;

nullscan
May 28, 2004

gingersmurf posted:

I'm becoming increasingly irritated with what I perceive as military spouses doing illegal activities. Maybe I am off base, I don't know. But I am having a difficult time finding the answers on the internet so I am asking you fine folks for information / input.

The issue is spouses doing home-based businesses, such as hair cutting, baking, making and selling goods, things like that. The Legal Office on base has apparently told individuals that if they don't live on base, they don't need base permission to do such things. The spouses seem to take that as an okay to go ahead and make some money. However, we (military dependents) are here on an A-3 visa. To the best of my knowledge, we can not make money on the economy here. In order to do so, one would need a different visa, correct?

What is the legal information I can present to these people? At the very least, it seems to me that they are abusing their visa status here in Korea as well as not being accountable to the Korean authorities (like paying taxes).

Any and all help is appreciated.

You're right, but hey, at least they aren't whoring out to norebangs at night like my ex was!

Check out http://8tharmy.korea.army.mil/sja/assets/doc/visa/Korean_Employment_Permits_for_Dependents_with_SOFA%20Status.pdf it looks a little old, and doesn't explain repricussions, but whatever. You could call Osan or Humphreys legal offices if you want to really dig into it.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Semen!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

What, no love for artisan aioli?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Wanna meet that dead lifting mom.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan is Korea as run by adults.

Misspelled ruined.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Korean netizens in a nutshell really.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I'm not entirely sure posting a dissenting opinion with like 0 vitriol is a fight...

nullscan
May 28, 2004

If I were you, and I didn't get a reply before hand, I'd show up Monday, explain the situation in person. Shows you're serious and not trying to jerk them around.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Also Hulu and Netflix are being super diligent about blocking known VPN ips in the last year or so. Sucks.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

To follow up. I am just a few blocks from Guri Station. There's a Lotte and Himart nearby so I guess that's my best bet?

ET Land doesn't look that far, but a Emart or Home plus would have what you need too probably.

https://www.dianping.com/shop/19806754

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeah but if she takes her us laptop cable they should be able to sell her a Korean pronged one. Just double check that your power supply does 220 or 240 or whatever. Most modern computers do.