Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am a dude, dude.

Meh, any port in the storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It's time for the no effort Thanksgooning post 2k16!

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 26th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going super simpler, with down home catered cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Most of the standards will be catered from on base leaving the cooks time to make special sides. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 10, 2016

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Wtf is this? Keep that poo poo to the koreaboo threads.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

American express works fine. I use mine almost constantly to get those sweet points.

Also, if you have Saturday evening free come have Thanksgiving with us in Itaewon!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

nullscan posted:

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 26th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going super simpler, with down home catered cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Most of the standards will be catered from on base leaving the cooks time to make special sides. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

Guess it's time for a reminder!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Watership down? Lord of the fries?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It doesn't matter man, no u bends in the drains, those little weeping holes in the windows even when you have screens. I had to kill 2 last night and I still didn't sleep till around 3. gently caress mosquitoes.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I miss living on the 11th floor, we'd get like maybe 2 mosquitoes. Living closer to ground level is hell.

The Internet says that they'll hibernate below 10c but either there's a warm pocket somewhere or these assholes don't care.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Pretty sure we've posted it every year and we never blacklisted anyone so I'm not getting that. I also wind up inviting non goons to try and even out the spergs ratio.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

nullscan posted:

When is this shindig?

MENU

Where's it at?

Accommodations!

Allergwarnings

We're about a week out so last call guys. We will be making the menu and doing shopping soon. That being said, if poo poo changes at last minute that's cool and come anyway!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Well her stable is in Songtan, when people try to tell her they're gay there she says OK and she has pretty boys.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

From pics I've seen from old military dudes she was just lighter. But now she runs all the girls on the street in songtan. Still don't know what she's doing in itae, as someone who wants that kind of loving can just go up the hill and not have to buy a hotel room.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

poly and open-minded posted:

does scott orson card's homophobia ever end?

As someone who somehow made it through all the Ender books, no. No it doesn't.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I dunno man I was just waiting for it to stop being about weird tree pigs and space Koreans and go back to spaceships.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Our office has been doing wings Tuesdays lately and I'm kind of torn between 3 alley and Sam Ryan's. Bull and barrel is OK too.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Korean delivery men haven't gone electric yet?

Why would they, there's millions of sym scooters still in circulation. Go by any random scooter shop and see them all lined up.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I can't seem to find the option to set searchable, but my account is riderrenton at gmail.

Not seeing you, feel free to add me, same user name and I'll get you in.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeah, this is the brief window before it starts getting humid and lovely. June is when it becomes hell.

Download kakaotalk and add me, 'nullscan' and we'll get you into chat for real time suggestions.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It's time for the SUPER no effort Thanksgooning post 2k17! IF YOU THOUGHT WE HIT THE BOTTOM, WE AINT DONE DIGGING!

When is this shindig?
This year, due to some jerk getting married on the weekend after real Thanksgiving, we'll be pushing it back to the first weekend of December, so on the 2nd put on your fat boy pants and come on down!

We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year will be a repeat of last year. Meats (Turkeys, Hams) will be catered in, Popeyes, Arbys, Murican Taco Bell, what the hell ever. Special guest chefs will be in attendance to do whatever they feel like cooking up as well. As allways, that being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only, generally 10k to 15k won a head is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the difference.

Where's it at?
We're back down in SONGTAAAAN
Easiest way from Seoul is the bus from Nambu to Songtan Terminal, by train it's Line 1 at Songtan Station.
From there, you can _try_ and say "Town Sweet", the name of the neighborhood, but more than likely you'll have to say "Han-il Apartment" which is just up the road. Also, if you find the Green 55 bus, that drops off right at Han-il apartment as well.

Here's a map link:
http://naver.me/FYhbA556

And here's the address:
297-9 Dokgok-dong, Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 평택시 독곡동 297-9

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor/about the house if they desire. There are also a few motels in the area as well as the Grand Sauna which is actually pretty grand if that's your jam. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone. ALSO NEW PUPPER MOCHI!

(pupper may have grown considerably)

nullscan
May 28, 2004

A Bump for those not in the Kakao chat, It'll be next Saturday so make your reservations on the spreadsheet now!

nullscan posted:

It's time for the SUPER no effort Thanksgooning post 2k17! IF YOU THOUGHT WE HIT THE BOTTOM, WE AINT DONE DIGGING!

When is this shindig?
This year, due to some jerk getting married on the weekend after real Thanksgiving, we'll be pushing it back to the first weekend of December, so on the 2nd put on your fat boy pants and come on down!

We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year will be a repeat of last year. Meats (Turkeys, Hams) will be catered in, Popeyes, Arbys, Murican Taco Bell, what the hell ever. Special guest chefs will be in attendance to do whatever they feel like cooking up as well. As allways, that being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only, generally 10k to 15k won a head is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the difference.

Where's it at?
We're back down in SONGTAAAAN
Easiest way from Seoul is the bus from Nambu to Songtan Terminal, by train it's Line 1 at Songtan Station.
From there, you can _try_ and say "Town Sweet", the name of the neighborhood, but more than likely you'll have to say "Han-il Apartment" which is just up the road. Also, if you find the Green 55 bus, that drops off right at Han-il apartment as well.

Here's a map link:
http://naver.me/FYhbA556

And here's the address:
297-9 Dokgok-dong, Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 평택시 독곡동 297-9

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor/about the house if they desire. There are also a few motels in the area as well as the Grand Sauna which is actually pretty grand if that's your jam. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone. ALSO NEW PUPPER MOCHI!

(pupper may have grown considerably)

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Sorry everyone, just got notice that I am going to be busy at work on the 2nd and will be unable to host goonsgiving this year. I will try to put together something for Christmas instead. I am very sorry, but I will get people Turkey and stuffing at some point.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I can get by with a hoodie when it's above zero. But once it gets below freezing it's like the wind turns up to 11 and just turns into ice knives. I still ride the motorcycle into work every day but fuuuuck it's rough sometimes. Korean winter is nothing to gently caress with.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Once she has a green card she should be good to go. There's no limit on leaving and reentering. The current administration hasn't been going after green card spouses.

Yet.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/820/~/can-a-u.s.-lawful-permanent-resident-leave-multiple-times-and-return

Looks like you're right, never knew about that. Guess it was a bit different for my ex wife since I am military.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Maybe an hour either way depending on your route and if you're in North Suwon going to South Pyeongtaek add 30mins. Traffic doesn't get terrible down here, it usually blogs down going North of Suwon into Seoul.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TIPS AND TRICKS

Forget Google Maps exist, get Kakao Map as they have English options now. The bus schedules tend to be better than Google thanks to the government protection of map data and such to only Korean companies.
Get a T-Money card as soon as you get out of the airport, get it at the CUs there in the terminal, throw 50k won on it and travel on everything. Taxis, Buses, Trains the T-Money is your new god.
Google Translate is dodgy but will get the job done for most things, even in the country all street signage is in Korean/English (Thanks US Troops needing navigation aids).
Dont sit on the small seats at the end of the train cars, they're for olds, pregnats and broken.
Everyone is going to know you're American, but also no one will really care. You might get some sideways looks for being with an Asian/Korean woman, but that has really eased up in the past 10 years and she will likely get more passive aggressive poo poo for being a gyopo who can't speak Korean. But it's not like you'll be getting 'NO AMERICAN' unless it's some random dive bar in Hongdae.

Get Kakaotalk and PM me your kakao name (or add me, my name is nullscan on there too) and I'll invite you into the chat, it's way easier to get information on the spot and people don't really watch the thread much.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

There are exchange places and international ATMs after you exit luggage claim. As for accommodations, there's still a Jimjibang in the airport right?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I've never been stopped leaving luggage claim/customs. Just line up and hand the little form to them that they barely glance at then I'm out the door.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

If I wanted to see a bunch of rich Asians acting like assholes I would've moved to China Vancouver.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Is this eat your kimchi 2.0? Stay tuned to find out!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

quote:

Join us and start your truly fashion강남 style!

Burn this corporation to the ground tyvm.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Take your regular data center paranoia then put it a few miles from the DMZ. Yeah, it'll get a bit "preppy".

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I always think I'm south, but then you jerks in the pretty parts of Korea pipe up. I guess I'm Middle Korea? Just far enough from Seoul to be a day trip but not quite the country?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Google maps doesn't work for poo poo in Korea in general because they won't play ball with censoring certain defense sites in the country, supposedly. Check out kakao maps or naver maps instead.

Edit: looks like around an hour and about 40k krw depending on what area you're leaving from.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 17, 2019

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Im military here, and working onbase as civilian is a major Korea cheat code. A lot of the good international food is moving from Itaewon to Pyeongtaek due to the base closing. I've lived in korea 11 years now and its definitely what you make of it. But I also ride motorcycles all over the country so i don't just jump from norebang to bar my whole time.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Average Koreans either A) Don't care about reunification or B) Don't want North Koreans loving up their job market. The general feeling I get is that people know Trump is a joke and didn't really accomplish anything.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

With most of the population that remembers relatives in the North dying off, chatter about unification is really going to get even quieter.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

20 to 30ish? We've taken in some non goons to the kakao, and some confirmed goons don't talk in there anymore so it's hard to estimate. I'm still here forever though.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Welcome to the dead g** forum kakao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

What are you looking to do for employment?