Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

Ran through my list of major hospitals and none of them do surgeries on Saturday. Anyone know of a Brigadoon like place that does surgery on Saturday.

I know nobody knows, just bitching because "it's Korean law that first year employees don't get vacation."

When my ankle broke, I went to Seoul Samsung Hospital on a Saturday at like 2pm and was okay. It wasn't surgery but the ER was open. Give them a call; maybe they can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Goon-Favorite Showry chugs a bottle of soju

That look on her face at the 6 minute mark tho

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I think she went 'Internet mainstream' due to the gif of her dancing in ketchup, yeah. From there the goon hivemind has decided shes one of the funnier comedians in Korea.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

another Gwangju goon trip maybe?

I would 100% love this but 1) I need to check my university schedule and 2) the ktx schedule. If I can't KTX, I can't.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Well I'm used to real winters. I'm trying to skip that this year by being in Asia. Really want to do Seoul/Tokyo but I didn't realise it would be cold. I actually prefer the cold, as long as I can skate around

Japan I believe is wetter thanks to Pacific humidity. Seoul and most of Korea have a dry Midwestern winter. For the next two months, it will be around 0'C-8'C daily. There won't be any snow. Poor insulation in many buildings will make you feel that cold.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nullscan posted:

Yup. I did it for about a month commuting to work and it was a nightmare here. The sidewalks are a million chances to jam up your wheels and the roads are not for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s2i4Ql0Jlc
Actually a documentary

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Again, Ulsan. Fromage you grew up 40 minutes from me. Saying Seoul doesn't get cold is just contrarian nonsense.

:parrot:

edit:
https://www.facebook.com/kakaofriends/videos/929565773823755/
there's a new kakao friend, and he's a fuccboi.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 26, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I wish I could keep up with chat but my phone (no one buy microsoft phones) is so poo poo that the Kakao chat causes it to hang for four or five minutes before opening.

Why the gently caress are you using a Microsoft phone? Just buy a Nexus 5x. They're only like $300

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Long weekend coming up. Any thing that can be done for a day or so? I'm not sure how free I / others will be, so~

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Whizbang posted:

As opposed to....?

Winds comin off the ocean make for a mighty cold breeze.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Can I go to movie tomorrow? It is important

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

EvilElmo posted:

You're better off going to Japan.

No thanks, I don't want radiation poisoning

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Gaesong is shutting down.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I have a credit card through KEB/Hana. It has a 3mil limit. I did not put a deposit down.

It took me two trips to the bank to achieve this feat. The first guy struggled harder than a Virginian to "get their moneys worth" at Golden Corral. The second one seemed to have experience or at least read a pamphlet on dealing with not-koreans. It took me less than 15 minutes.

btw, I've been with KEB for 4 years when I did this so YMMV

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Korea Megathread VII: The Gravy Train Finally Ended

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
My friend downloads like every day and never has had a problem ever. My friend regularly gets like 7-10mb/sec DL speeds too! That friend uses KT for internet though. So maybe you're just poo poo with the internet?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Aesis posted:

YOU'RE poo poo! tbh KT > LG >>>>>> SKB
*eat a spoonful of gokujang and unsheaths katana*

I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. Could you repeat that one more time?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Aesis posted:

i fooking wreck u mate, i swear to me mum!

Say it to my face, fucker, and not online

see what happens

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Come to the MOJO&SADY cafe at 22-1, Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul if you want an asskicking

I'm there right now.

You didn't show, pussy.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I'm not an expert, but it looks like a B2 visa may be what you want

Excuse the thai stuff, but it gives some info on a case similar to yours and to what the B2 is.
http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/us-visa-immigration/a-us-tourist-visa-for-thai-girlfriend.html

Broad information
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html

Specific information
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/VisaFlyer_B1B2%20March%202015.pdf

Good luck!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
5 years on this is still the best kpop song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8c1t1QTDI

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah maybe only a dozen of us still teach. Those of still teaching, stay largely because they're cushy gigs that don't treat us like poo poo. Regardless, us and everyone who moved into other fields all have one thing in common: knowing people.

You could consider coming in on an e2 teacher visa, live in seoul, and network and get out in a year to a better industry?

If you do come here for that, you gotta keep moving though. Being comfortable as an efl teacher is borderline suicidal.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
My GIRLFRIEND agreed to go hiking with me this weekend.

I guess that means I won Korea, boys :smug:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

Back in the States now but need to mail some stuff to my wife's family. Mailing from Korea to the US was so cheap and easy - is there any decent option for the reverse? It's insane; we paid like 40 bucks for a massive 20kg box by boat in Korea but here the USPS wants 90 for a little box of snacks. It seems air is the only possibility here. Am I wrong?

There are flat rate boxes. I remember years ago I had my computer tower shipped to me with various extra things and it cost maybe $170?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

Is this a troll?

Who is "they"?

"Some people that have actually been to Seoul..." you do realize it's nigh-near impossible for anyone to go to Korea and not hit Seoul at some point, right?

Your daughter will experience the same issues she did in Japan, I guess. She'll be safe and fine. If some douche hits on her, whatever.

Paris, London, and Milan are perfectly safe if you're not a moron. Seoul is probably safer.

chill guys I got this.

I have extensive knowledge of Europe, as I've seen many documentaries about those cities as well as cursory knowledge of the hit film series Taken. Compared to that, Seoul is pretty darn safe.

bringmyfishback, I'm going to ascertain he means inlaws? That or his daughter is joining the next JYP sex troupe.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Oh god you're really an extra from the movie Taken? Then yeah, Seoul will be Agartha.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Aqi of 161 right now. I dont think ill make it out alive. Tell my legos and katanas i loved them /dies

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Raphisonfire posted:

Whoever is tagging 보신탕 restaurants though...

Good dogs can be good dogs for many things.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
This place?
The Korean on that is 일호식

As for insadong, have you by chance perused the Goon-Approved Food map?
http://tinyurl.com/goonfood

edit:
I finally went to the Poo-Cafe in Insadong. Pass. It felt like a really half-assed theme. Like, the cups were little ceramic toilets and there were poo pillows, and there were certainly some poop-themed art. But as a whole, it just felt like a random cafe that someone hastily slapped some vinyl wall stickers on and said, "there! it's themed!"

And while not a food recommendation, on the top of Nakwon Musician Mart is a near little movie theater that shows old movies. They just finished a John Wayne festival. I'm not sure what's currently playing but if you're in the area, it may be worth it.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 25, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

caberham posted:

Thanks a bunch! Wish I can make entries then I can add other places like Hong Kong and Japan!

Oh god. A Goon East Asian food map? Is the world ready for such a thing?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

caberham posted:

Sure why not! Enough goons pass by Hong Kong / Seoul/ Bangkok / Tokyo / Osaka. It's like a giant circuit

email me at
username at gmail dot com

I'll add your email to the whitelist

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

TreFitty posted:

Anyone know anything about international schools? Wife and I will probably be revisiting the idea of moving back to Korea to live in like 5 years, but may decide against it. It seems like they're all in Busan and Seoul. Does anyone know where to get a definitive list of them in the country? This is pretty much my biggest condition for ever moving back: I'd never send my kids to a public school in Korea after having seen them in action years ago. If I could afford the ~$20-50K/yr. it costs to send two kids to an international school in Korea, I'd totally do it, even though it sucks balls to pay that much. But I probably couldn't do it if I also had to pay for a house in Seoul/Busan. Ouch.

Jeju has a bunch of them aimed at Chinese foreign nationals, but iirc its mostly Koreans. In Seoul there's also special autonomous schools. who set their own curriculum and may be taught in English. Lastly, there are definitely international schools in other cities; they may not be as lauded as Yongsan International School.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

dumb poo poo about schools

Added you to the food map. Post away!

Actually I plan on going to Japan/Jeju once my term ends in June, so it'll come in handy!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Koramei posted:

from a couple of weeks back but wait can you elaborate on Suwon? I'm staying there/ Osan for a month next year and all I'd heard about it is how boring it is.

Gotta be careful in Suwon or ull get bodied...

All joking aside, Suwon is fine. There's a number of goons who live or have lived in Suwon. And none of them are dead. I've been to Suwon a bunch of times and it's been okay for me. There's a p fantastic foreign restaurant hub near the subway station where you can have lots of cool Asian food ranging from Russian to Cambodian.

There's Sam Ryan's which is a nice bar thats open long hours. There's also the Big Chill which has regular bar trivia that some people in chat go to weekly.

Suwon's close enough to Seoul for you to easily get to say, Seoul city hall in maybe 1-2 hours.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nullscan posted:

BULLSHIT

Suwon Unicorns, never forget ;_;

They evolved into Wizards. Deal with it.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

oldman posted:

No, they turned into the Heroes.

Semantics. Wizards now occupy the den of Unicorns and Suwon is better off for it.

Besides, Heroes have such a dumb mascot.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
With the exchange rate being so lovely, he may very well turn a profit.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

I teach at two elementary schools and two middle schools and have taught at others... I've never seen physical violence. Thunderdome?

At my regular job I don't really see it. I'll see verbal bullying and whatnot, but nothing out of the ordinary for typical 12 year old boys.

Camps are another story. Most of the camps are split into two groups: Seoul/Gyeonggi, and everyone else (due to logistics). The Everyone-Else kids are usually all pretty chill. They get along better. I'd imagine the geographic differences leads to a more diverse student body and less typical usual defining markers (big house may not mean big money if you live in the boonies for example). Seoul/Gyeonggi? Petty motherfuckers they are. The kids who come from affluent areas have better English; this gives them 2 reasons to belittle others. When this assumption isn't reinforced by the teachers, students, or program, they get grumpy. One year I had two kids that on their own or with their own small group of friends were really nice kids; they listened well, did their work, etc. However, whenever they were in the same group for projects or god forbid sat at the same table for meals (with 10 other people), they'd fight. One memorable fight went something like this:
:) "Hey A, how big is your house?"
:haw: "Uhh, I guess 30 평 ?"
:) "Haha, mine's 50평 Your house is so small, your family must be poor!"
:haw: "50평? My grandmother's house is that big. But she lives in the country side. So you probably also live on a farm."
:) "Shut up!"
:haw: "No, YOU shut up!"

* I dont remember the exact 평's dropped but yeah.

At another camp, I had a kid who grew up in the US, and only recently came back to Korea 6 months before the camp. Suffice to say, his Korean wasn't that good. He could speak okay and could write okay, but his reading comprehension in Korean was pretty bad; other students would have to help him with certain activities that would be in Korean for the students benefit (think a personality test). He was great for the teachers since he was just Johnny America for us. But sometimes the other kids would crack wise at his Korean. It was annoying to hear these kids mock someone they'd only known for 2 hours because he called it "Coke" not "콜라".

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

ladron posted:

why do you care? At least they are doing something to occupy themselves and help them mind their own business...ahem..

How dare they be upset about people not playing by the rules! What a dick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
No one comes to Korea anymore. :(

Why did it stop being cool for Goons to move here?