Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Maxsmart posted:

Only go to Taco bell

Post Trip Report:
Last night the missus and I went to Taco Bell. I got the quesarito and she got the grilled stuffed chicken burrito. Both didn't have beans, but both also didn't have kimchi.

The chicken tasted bland as gently caress. The quesarito was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

I spent time before work with my electric fly swatter chasing the bastards around my apartment. It's my new workout routine.

Move above the treeline or they will never give you peace. Mosquitoes can live in your drains. In my building the only way they get in is through the drains, so in summer I just close t he bathroom door when I sleep and it stops like 80% of the bastards.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

No. The ones in Australia are far more evil.
I met lots of East Asians in Melbourne and we all complain about horrible allergic skin reactions.

I miss Korean mosquitos.
Same. In Korea I only get those red dots on my skin, but they don't itch. They don't become inflamed either.

Started watching this documentary on NK refugees. Spoilers: dead bodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSC6elDUQNw

edit:

Here's the new PBS doc: Battle of Chosin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--jhk3IFU4

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 3, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
ACT toughens test rules for Korea against cheating

quote:

The single test site principle will apply starting with the Dec. 10 test. The new testing site will be the Grand Hilton Seoul. Previously ACT tests were held at international schools and foreign language high schools across the country.

This is going to be a shitshow.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Cafe Expo in COEX right now

Not sure if you all saw this, but today and tomorrow in COEX is the cafe expo. From what I understand, $15 entrance to have unlimited samples of great coffee. Also coffee art and barista competitions if thats your jam.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Aesis posted:

Drink lots of coffee and get heart attack, my fellow goons!

The expo was wonderful. I stopped around 12 free mini espressos.

1F was kinda not to my liking. It was just mostly cakes, smoothies, and ice creams. The back section was teas which was okay. But I'm not much of a tea goon. 3F was coffee heaven. There were tons of booths offering free samples of various drip coffees and espressos. The latte and latte art booths had massive lines though, so be careful about that.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Chimie posted:

No way I was givin' away my loving crunchwrap! Though I'm pretty sure she would have been ok with my baja chalupa. Or a few fire sauce packets and a straw.

That's cheaper than what she offered me. She tried to wrangle me in with some Condo Timeshare technique. After pressuring me on the street corner across from the Hamilton Hotel, she told me it would be free. Even after I claimed I was gay, she just kept looking at my dick and saying, "Nah, you're lying. C'mon let's do it."

Sure the blowjob would have been free, but the lovely Itaewon love motel would have been like 40k. Plus that shame and disgust. It would surely last a lifetime.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
edit: real answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVD_MX7knTU

A friend of some of ours has been making youtube vids about different places around Seoul. With the Michelin list, he's now trying the different fancy restaurants and vlogging on them.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 23, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Goonsgiving, brought to you by your pals at

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

Fair enough. Although I like Hongdae for weekend stuff more than Itaewon, Fountain in Itaewon is pretty dope. There's a goddamn pizza place inside that club. Like what the gently caress?

Really? I've only been outside of Fountain, never inside. Although there's a booth pizza apparently upstairs from it.

So there exists a bar with arcade games, and a pizza stand inside? This sounds pretty much like somethingawful dot com the bar.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

No only that, but dancing.

I dont really understand this bar. Maybe tomorrow night warrants a visit. Theres: pizza, dancing, and video games? Because now you're not describing SA, but a middle school house party.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

Ok someone add me. PM me for my name because I was unoriginal in picking my name and used my IRL name.

Also if anyone is in Itaewon I am here for the evening.

huh no one's added you yet. I don't have pm's but email me and I can do it.

username at gmail dot com

TreFitty posted:

How would you guys say the Korean economy has been trending the last 2 years or so? Anything very noticeable? When I left, restaurants in most towns started to shut down earlier and private tutoring and so on wasn't doing as well as before due to a lack of household income and/or rising expenses. Has that reversed? Gotten better? Any anecdotes or charts/graphs to show? thx in advance

In the last few years the trend, in Seoul, has been towards boutique experiences. Coffee shops, bars, and restaurants have seemed to move much more towards middle class fancy, rather than dirt spoon slop for everything. For example, there's been such a swing in beer drinking culture: micro-brews and specialty brews now made by the big boys and craft beer on the menu at most decent restaurants.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 19, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Coos me coos me, baby, coos me coos me.

I thought it was more of "kills me kills me". But we're meandering into jamesman territory. Let us drink bleach and forget this ever happened.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Milksteak posted:

Deep discussion about this in chat...

Look, if you can't accept that eye-contact dance vids are the zeitgeist of kpop, then you need to sit down and think long and hard about your life.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

dsh posted:

I will be in Korea for all of May to get married and hang with the in-laws. What's the best way to get data access on my phone without using an egg or something like that? Fiancee is Korean citizen if that matters even though we live in the States. I'm looking for convenience, but the Verizon international plan is a huge rip.

You can buy a sim card at the airport or in the major shopping areas like Myeongdong. I bought one recently and it was maybe 30k for a couple hours talking time and 1-3gb data. It had a time limit of maybe 1 month.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Raphisonfire posted:

Is there somewhere online that does flower delivers in Busan on valentines day?

Check at your post office. I was at mine yesterday and saw a sign with some guy holding flowers and assumed it was on flower delivery. idk i gave the sign a whopping 2-3 seconds of my time before struggling to decide which envelope is best for my US tax return (and thats a story for another day! )

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Why is Korea playing down their relationship to China? P awkward that Xi called them out like that!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Pride is this weekend. Go be a buncha big gay goons

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Thread is dead.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I blame Alex

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nervana posted:

in Korea Lotteria has the best local style burger

What the gently caress you going on about. Is the European Frica Cheese the best example of korean style hamburger? U need that slice of yellow bell pepper tossed onto a deep fried haunch of cheese to shed a single tear when you face mount Baekdu

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

district 12 posted:

your takeaway is jorts? did you not eat the food or something

Kimbap 'regular brain'
Aircon subway 'mega brain'
Jorts 'buddha brain'

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Where does "baggy white tee under a sundress" fit on the brain chart?

Pic

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
If they’re still trendy someone make an Indian Facebook friendship meme with Donald and Kim Jeong un how they’re no longer best friends tyvm

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

AmbientParadox posted:

If they’re still trendy someone make an Indian Facebook friendship meme with Donald and Kim Jeong un how they’re no longer best friends tyvm

Just remembered that this needs to be updated because they are best friends again

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nervana posted:

So who's watching Crazy Rich Asians?
Surprisingly MY WIFE isn’t that interested in it. We just saw “the spy who dumped me” and got a fun chuckle out of it.

I bet Mamma Mia 2 outperforms Crazy Rich Asians in Korea

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I brought three bottles of liquor through Korean customs a couple weeks ago and they didn't even check. Depends who is working that day. Worst case scenario you have to pay duty on everything over the limit.

Back in 2012 I brought a 3L bottle of soju in my checked luggage to the US. No one cared. But this was back in the obambo #5 era. Maybe things are different now

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

its very bad, op

Isn’t it just a romcom but everyone is Chinese?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/09/251_254895.html

quote:

A man is in custody for allegedly threatening two work colleagues with a large fruit-knife after one of them ignored his offer of a peeled apple.

Busan Nambu Police said the incident happened on Aug. 30. They said the accused man, 38, offered a peeled apple to a colleague.

When the colleague refused, the accused man adopted a "pose to stab him" with a knife 27 centimeters long.

The suspect also allegedly threatened another colleague who came into the office to see the first victim.

"The suspect had thought the two men were those frequently talking behind his back," an investigator said.

Beautiful

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Welp we waited until the last minute to mail a package for Chuseok from the US. Sorry inlaws!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
How about that dalkomm coffee. Good poo poo???

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Chimie posted:

Hmm. I decided to log in after what, 4 years to say hi cause the news today.

why what happened today

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So my heir apparent and wife are planning on visiting Korea this spring. It's my understanding that he's gonna need a Korean passport to go into Korea, and will need his US passport to get back into the US, right?

I'd love to join them, but I used up all of my vacation time last fall to help be a good dad and help raise him in those first few months. So, sorry kgoons no soju chugs :sad:

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nullscan posted:

Hongdae was fun as hell 15 years ago, but I'm an old man now.

10 years ago I moved to Seoul apparently and now I've been having some really strong Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan moments this year. I imagine Hongdae has fallen to the same fate as every other cool party spot in Seoul from 10 years ago: the grimy fun parts have been pushed out in favor of franchise cafes and upscale cookie/cupcake shops.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Bar Da is still there though. Unchanged, cool, and still a health hazard.

I'm amazed that fire escape / outdoor patio area hasnt harmed anyone yet. Truly a treasure

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Seoul Harbors World's Most Dissatisfied People

quote:

Residents in Seoul also had the greatest distrust of strangers with 71.4 percent, while only 6.4 percent trust them. In Tokyo 48.4 percent did not trust strangers and in New York 35.4 percent.

That includes xenophobia, with only 8.9 percent saying they trust foreigners, compared to 44.3 percent in cosmopolitan New York and 43.6 percent in London. Even in Beijing some 29 percent have nothing against foreigners.

I for one, lay the blame squarely at the feet of the goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

superm0nk posted:

As mentioned Myeongdong is safe but kinda boring. The historical city center is in Jongno and I'd always recommend staying there for a first visit.

drat covid really hosed that place up huh