Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
So anyone know what the helicopters are spraying over Seoul right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

caberham posted:

As someone who is not a teacher or based in Korea I would recommend you to be certified k12. Yes it takes more time but you can get a lot more"real international school" level jobs. The pay scale is pretty much standardized globally and is North of 65k a year living in developing countries with subsidized rent.

A few goons I know either finished paying off their debt quickly or buying off Thai condo or mortgage payments back home.

One opening portal to this job I know is Bangkok career fair or some professional international body where you register as part of that list. Forgot the name

Two fairs in BKK: ISS Job fair and Search. Trend is going away from fairs though. We negotiate our contracts EARLY this year in September. So the hiring season is more from October to Dec. for experienced teachers. Korea is the only place in Asia I've heard of people getting hired without a teaching certificate. The International schools say differently but they hire plenty without a certificate (work with two in my hallway).
Actually, s/he could probably check the schools now. Openings happen over summer.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

Andro posted:

drat, I won Korea. Spent 4.5 years in Gimhae. Met the girl of my dreams, but life drew me back to the U.S. Just landed a sick IB English Lit job and her parents are practically selling her to me now. See you in a few years Hong Kong IB schools with my herd of cows. BTW, Caberham, can I lease your aristocratic grazing lands for my Florida cracker and Korean Hanwoo cows?

Congratulations! Just stay away from Canadian International School in HK and you really will have won!

In other news, today is a holiday? School just started for us and then all of a sudden we have a holiday on the calendar. Oh well, I get to fire up the grill and have a confused celebration.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

guri posted:

PSA: I've recently been updating the Goon Grub Guide with some spots on Jeju. There are tons of delicious things here and I've only added a small handful so far but hey at least it is there.

Magpie Brewery is worth a stop on Jeju.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

TreFitty posted:

Anyone know anything about international schools? Wife and I will probably be revisiting the idea of moving back to Korea to live in like 5 years, but may decide against it. It seems like they're all in Busan and Seoul. Does anyone know where to get a definitive list of them in the country? This is pretty much my biggest condition for ever moving back: I'd never send my kids to a public school in Korea after having seen them in action years ago. If I could afford the ~$20-50K/yr. it costs to send two kids to an international school in Korea, I'd totally do it, even though it sucks balls to pay that much. But I probably couldn't do it if I also had to pay for a house in Seoul/Busan. Ouch.

I can tell you all about them. Korea is a hot mess right now for international schools because of the tax situation, poor financial planning, and lawsuits. It's not much better than the DoD schools. There are still some bright spots in terms of education, but they are few and far between.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

TreFitty posted:

Please do! At least that's my vote. I think it's relevant to the thread too...

All right, I'll give you a run down, but give me a place to start. What is essential for "international" education for you as a parent? I'll start there. Also, go ahead and check out the papers. There's crack down over local Korean students getting admitted to international schools and many schools are starting to sweat over enrollment next year. It used to be if the student got caught with forged documents, then only the parents got fined. Now schools are getting fined too. Busan and Seoul have the best programs, though you have decent schools on the outside of the cities proper. Daegu IS is probably the best bang for buck in Daegu but their program is very limited and all-American.

Two things to keep in mind: There are completing styles of international school and competing curriculum within. If you know what you want finding the school that works for your kids is pretty easy though not always cheap. Tuition in Korea is the highest I've seen outside of Beijing, and it makes sense when you see how much they are getting taxed. Expect it to increase.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Even at international schools, we have to watch the kids bullying half Koreans. A few schools decided to make speaking English a rule in the elementary schools and middle schools since once the Korean came out bullying started. And the bullying I've seen here is the worst I've seen in Asia. These kids are under ten and hateful to each other! The Western-raised Koreans are a little less cruel, but growing up here seems to be the common trait of the worst behavior towards classmates. Is there a reason why these kids are so angry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
On the K topic, I feel the need to stick a toe into Kdrama since my kids keep bringing up some "Sweet Honey" one up in class that they watch with subtitles. What's a good one to watch?