Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Love Stole the Day posted:

You might as well fold it up into a paper airplane and throw it out the window

I know two people who got jobs that way.

E: The last guy I know who got a university job did it this way. He has a bachelor's in... I don't even know but not education, and has been living in Korea for eight years or so and wanted to trade up. He just emailed his resume and a cover letter to a dozen universities in the middle of February. He was hired and moving to his new uni job within the week. He had more than one response and played them off to get a raise at the one with the location he preferred.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Love Stole the Day posted:

It's a good thing he had an F visa so that he could legally change jobs whenever he wanted

Why would he need an F visa? His job ended and he found a new one. I did that twice on my ol E2.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you speak any Korean? That's not a normal Korean cut but butchers will do it for you, that's how I got American steak cuts. If you can describe it or even show a picture and know the name of the Korean cut that includes it you should be able to.

Alternately, the Costco in Ulsan had American cuts of meat and I can't see why the Seoul one wouldn't too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh it didn't even occur to me you were looking for a restaurant. I don't know but maybe one of the American BBQ places? Linus in Itaewon or Beale St. in Hongdae? They should have menus online somewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Waiting until the last minute to make a decision in Korea? :monocle:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My friend's boss once gave him a bottle of some fancy rear end $100 Andong soju as a Chuseok gift. It was significantly worse than regular soju. He kept it around to trick people into drinking because he is an rear end in a top hat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Peach is fine, it's like a 1.5 hour flight so there's no reason to spend more than the minimum. Flying bus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Probably a lot. I accidentally went to the ER once because it was after 5 PM so the hospital was closed and nobody spoke English well enough to explain what was up. It was just a normal sinus infection type visit that would run 10K at a doctor's office but it cost 150K there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're looking to skip winter you want like, Thailand. Korea doesn't get cold like it does in Real Winter but it's certainly not a winter escape destination. Also if it does snow or ice they have no loving idea what to do and the sidewalks/roads are a total mess.

If you really want to go to Korea for some reason and are trying to avoid winter, Jeju is as close as you're going to get. The southern coast also rarely gets snow.

Japan in winter is nice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Taiwan is also winter free and a Good China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

Poor insulation in many buildings will make you feel that cold.

This is really the thing about Korean winter. It isn't objectively that cold (even up in Seoul :colbert: ) but it's the pervasiveness of it since you're always in completely uninsulated cinderblock and concrete boxes. If a heater is on, the Koreans will either open the windows in order to ensure it doesn't actually heat anything or have it cranked so it's 100 degrees indoors while everyone is still wearing three coats.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I never got one because of the ones my friends had. Unless they've changed it's like you give them 1M as a deposit and your card has a 1M limit. It's not actually a credit card. The one good thing is some of them have reward points you can game somewhat, so if you're into that it might be worth it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's true, though I don't think I ever had an issue just using my debit card.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would do it now. China's economy seems to have hit a wall and is likely to drag Asia into recession, while the US economy is the best it's been in quite a while with no signs of slowing down. China's already shifted like a trillion dollars into Japan/the US which is only going to help keep those currencies stronger.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are multiple goons working real jobs in Korea now. I don't know how any of them got into it though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seoul is Tokyo's insecure younger brother who never learned how to clean up his room because he's too busy drinking lighter fluid. It's fine, relax.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Creepy dudes are the only real danger but that's going to be exactly the same as Tokyo.

Edit: And cars.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 8, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Theoretically it's not allowed, it's in the box of forbidden items at airport customs. I've carried it in fine but never tried mailing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Busan International Foreign School is between Ulsan and Busan, and there's this one in Ulsan that a lot of the engineer kids go to. http://hyundaiforeignschool.com/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was at the designated school for foreign/half kids and yeah the level of abuse towards them was incredible, once I started understanding enough Korean to follow all the racial slurs being used towards them. It was sad, they were totally checked out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm sure it's connected to whatever makes Korean elementary schools Thunderdome. My school's campus in China has an elementary school so I see them all the time and the level of violence is nothing even remotely close to what I saw in Korean schools.

The teachers would bully the mixed kids too, which totally gives the green light to go for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Maxsmart posted:

Ulsan, so probably rich kids

bringmyfishback taught at a rich school, but Let Us English was at a poor one and mine was one of the poorest in the city. Some of my students were literally homeless.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And the cost of living's gone up so much. I know Seoul is cheaper but Ulsan was Tokyo prices when I left, with nowhere close to Tokyo pay.

The flood of Koreaboos has really helped employers drive down pay and benefits and increase the work hours, too. There's always some kpop idiot waiting to take the job if you want more than the minimum.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

I mean... I really don't meet than many kpop fans among the incoming teachers.

They were loving everywhere in the last bunch before I left. I assumed the problem would be getting worse with time.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think Korean TV might've been bigger with them than kpop. They were huge into both though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

By the end there were people I had to stop being around because the only things they ever talked about were Coffee Prince and G Dragon or whatever the gently caress. I don't remember any of that when I first got there. Kpop only ever came up to complain about how annoying it was and the only TV in Korea was the channel that showed nothing but Steven Seagal movies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is a bad thing? :colbert:

No it was the best thing. That and the DVD bang we found that had a shelf of his complete works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Almost everything in China is less functional than Korea, but the internet stuff is generally better (though still terrible by American standards). Shopping online and paying for things took about six months to set up, but once I was done it's now only slightly more annoying than Amazon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mom's Touch is good. I never got touched by any moms in it though.

The one near me was owned by this middle aged dude who was so excited to have someone he could speak English with that he'd always give me stuff and I'd walk out with like double what I actually ordered. He was cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know what that is but I feel comfortable saying any Korean place calling itself a deli is going to be crushingly disappointing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am potentially going to be in Seoul for 2-3 days. I am doing this as kind of a last minute thing to escape China and know little of Korea or Seoul. I have done some quick wikitravel research on sites and stuff, but does anyone have any suggestions for a first time visitor, especially when it comes to food/drink?

Eat bbq, drink makgeolli. Myeongdong kalguksu is famous for a reason, go there and get noodles. Go to Seoul Pub at 3 AM.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Japan is Korea as run by adults.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Now that you mention it I do have a Korean friend I used to go burg with regularly and I did give her tips to not have the thing collapse into a heap halfway through. I guess there is a technique to holding it together that we don't really think about as something we learned at some point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like to imagine the woman inventing that superstition and just giggling all day about her plan to get out of cleaning the loving house again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's also Air Busan, but they might only fly to Gimhae. If they fly to Seoul I'd guess it's Gimpo not Incheon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The tip of the day is the greatest discovery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is that before or after I soak my clothes in leftover milk?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was looking for new ways to make my apartment smell like rotting dairy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's okay it's not like Korean websites work at all for anyone ever, anyway. They just don't work even harder on Macs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Everybody packs too much. Be selective. Most things you can buy in Korea. Clothing/shoes if you are larger than tiny Asian sizes is a good idea. Electronics are cheaper outside Korea so bring all those. Exotic spices if you cook. There's not much else you really need to bring. Basic toiletries are good just because it's annoying to try to have to find all that poo poo your first day in a new place. Accept the Kindle into your life if you haven't already, physical books are great and lovely but not if you're hauling a box of them across an ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just use torrents. VPNs slow down your connection and there's nothing you need one for in Korea unless you really want to look at North Korean websites. Korean internet speeds are good for torrenting, you can usually get a show downloaded in a few minutes if it's well seeded.

The other issue with Asian sized clothing is shoulders. Even if I were rail thin I personally couldn't wear Asian shirts because my shoulders don't fit at all, I can't even move my arms.