Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Anyone know of any university gigs that are opening up next summer or would I be better off taking a hagwon (again) or public job and searching for one in-country?
I'm graduating with a Masters in TESOL in a few quarters and am eyeing East Asia again but not for anything less than a university gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

If you have a masters have you thought about getting teaching certified so you can do international schools?

I seriously considered that, but the credits I would need to be certified in my state would mean I'd have to take another two years or so of undergraduate level courses to qualify for K-12 certification. My undergraduate is not related to education.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

caberham posted:

As someone who is not a teacher or based in Korea I would recommend you to be certified k12. Yes it takes more time but you can get a lot more"real international school" level jobs. The pay scale is pretty much standardized globally and is North of 65k a year living in developing countries with subsidized rent.

A few goons I know either finished paying off their debt quickly or buying off Thai condo or mortgage payments back home.

One opening portal to this job I know is Bangkok career fair or some professional international body where you register as part of that list. Forgot the name

Definitely something I'd consider, but at a future date. Up until these last few quarters I've been working full-time to keep room and board on top of graduate school so the momentum of things was to not take the additional classes. How I've still kept my GPA high would be a mystery except it's kind of consumed my waking hours.
However, on the other side of it- I'm just not interested in teaching kids anymore. I don't know that I want to invest that much additional time and money into something that might fluff my resume just enough for a uni gig that I'm after. I don't want to be stuck in part-time-adjunct-professor-Hell stateside either so that's why I'm looking abroad.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

What is the international school situation in Korea like? I am thinking about making the plunge again.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I kinda regret leaving Incheon, but I don't miss my hagwon. I want to go back and see what's changed.