Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"
In order to stop myself from writing spoilers, because my fingers itch to talk about this story line, I present this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAds4kH7QDE

Our good friend Simon Templeman, refusing to let the cheese be cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I just noticed this thread and oh man, I was planing on doing an LP of this game some time in the future also focused on the lore (because oh man, let's face it the gameplay is complete trash). Ah well.

There's a lot of interesting developer drama around the series. There's basically different era's of developers which came at the series and it's lore very differently. There's a lot of patchwork lore to make things work. Often times it doesn't. For this game, it was of course a Silicon Knights developed game and headed by one of the most infamous game developers, Denis Dyack. If I'm remembering correctly, way back in 1994/1995 he originally pick Crystal Dynamics on his idea for a Norse theme rpg called "Too Human" and Blood Omen was his back up idea. Crystal Dynamics obviously decided to go with Blood Omen delaying work on Too Human until... well that's a different sort of clusterfuck. There a lot of creative differences between what SK and CD wanted with the series. As far as I'm aware CD weren't super strict during this game, but afterword decided to take control of the IP from SK which is probably for the best.

Then you have the Soul Reaver Era. About a 3rd of Soul Reaver was cut for time. It's so wildly different from this game and really feels like they wanted to distance themselves from certain things that were very important to this game. The Pillars and their guardians, bat and wolf transformations, and items for example. It shifts the focus on to things that were not really mentioned in this first game at all.

Then you have the Soul Reaver 2/Blood Omen 2/Defiance era. These games really try to tie both of the previous games together. It was during this time that CD wanted to annualized the franchise which resulted it the lackluster Blood Omen 2 (which really isn't that bad outside of it's unresolved plot issues.) They use very little of what was cut from Soul Reaver. But to do that they had to reconfigure and retcon a lot stuff from both Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. For example the identity of The Unspoken (which Ariel mention very brief the first time we meet her at the Pillars), and even the function of the Pillars themselves. Honestly the lore is a complete mess by the end of series. Still it's a real shame that the 6th and final game called Dark Legacy they had planned (and had a working prototype of) was never completed. The lead writer, Amy Hennig, left CD during it's development to go work at Naughty Dog. That game was going to resolve the whole of story of Nosgoth and the characters of it. It was specifically stated that the unresolved stuff from BO2 amongst other things would have been explained/ironed out. But alas.

Finally you have the era of the free to play multiplayer game, Nosgoth. Which I have no interest in and never played but just from the character designs is only an LoK game in name.

When it comes to playing this game though... gently caress man. It's terrible (at least in the PS1 version). The controls are sluggish and feel awful. Changing your equipment takes forever. Loading to new screens or just even going to the menu can take upward to 15 to 30 seconds. It's maddening. Combat is a pain. Kain is slow and all his attacks have a lot of animation priority. Enemies are often faster and have projectiles that home in. You could use items like the Flays, but it's you'll likely have a spell equipped (especially Shield). It's very easy to get stunlocked as well. It's almost always in your favor to just avoid all enemies you can by running passed them. (Especially when you get to a certain religious capital's dungeon.) Don't even get me started about the boss fights. Then you have the BS day/night and moon cycle mechanics. There's a lot hidden things behind doors that only open every hour or so. So to get all the secrets you'll have to spend a lot of time just sitting around.

Blood Omen is a poorly designed game with a really well written story.

Anyway, Here's some additional comments about things you didn't cover as I get myself caught up with the LP:
Episode 1 - The intro here mostly takes place about 500 years before the events of BO except for the murder of Ariel (the girl in front of the scales) which happened about 30 years ago. This is really the only part of the game that doesn't explain it's story very well. Who and why those people are murdered is never really discussed in this game I think. I can't quite remember. Regardless it's not really a spoiler to say that they were Pillar guardians and were murdered because someone convinced them that committing genocide on vampires was a good idea.

Episode 4/5 - Nachtholm is interesting in so much as there are only 6 taverns in all of BO1 and 3 of them are located in there.

Nupraptor was born after the Vorador killed the original Mind guardian in the intro cutscenes. Vorador kills six of the guardians during that time, leaving only Mortanius, Malek, and an guardian will be seeing much much later in this game (one who becomes very very important to the rest of the series.)

Nupraptor's insanity is something that effects the mental states of all the guardians too. Ariel's death caused his insanity and ultimately the corruption of the pillars. She was the guardian of Balance after all. I wonder if there was a new Balance guardian that was born after her death that would be effected by Nuprator's insanity... hrmm I guess we'll just have to see. (I won't spoil anything other than say that it is implied that the other guardians know the identity of new balance guardian.)

Some notes about his keep. The two eye windows show the past and future of Nosgoth. Due to all the change of hands with the writing it debatable what that future image is meant to represent. It's likely meant to show the expansion of something that we have yet to encounter in this LP (Dark Eden) or what the world will look like if the Pillars aren't restored. I do like that idea that is how he sees the world, but most of the official word on it is contrary to that.

Also! Something I always found a bit funny is if you throw a bunch of flays when at the Pillars they'll tracked to Ariel like she's an enemy. They don't do anything and it's just a quirk/oversight, but I'd like to think it was meant as a subtle hint at how Kain feels towards Ariel.

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

D_W posted:

but I'd like to think it was meant as a subtle hint at how Kain feels towards Ariel.

That would be neat, but I'm pretty sure they just plopped a custom skin on a ghost enemy and disabled collision. I could be wrong though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I think that flays are programmed to move towards all NPCs. In Steinchenroe we encountered Irmok (the lunatic who hints at the disguise form), and if you throw a flay at him, it will track towards him and circle around him for a good minute (the guy is invulnerable). In hindsight, I probably should've shown that off

D_W posted:

Episode 1 - The intro here mostly takes place about 500 years before the events of BO except for the murder of Ariel (the girl in front of the scales) which happened about 30 years ago. This is really the only part of the game that doesn't explain it's story very well. Who and why those people are murdered is never really discussed in this game I think. I can't quite remember. Regardless it's not really a spoiler to say that they were Pillar guardians and were murdered because someone convinced them that committing genocide on vampires was a good idea.

Yeah, and they don't really explain it until SR2 iirc, which is why I talked about how the intro gave backstory for Malek, not Nupraptor (whose story is basically "Ariel got killed and everything went to crap"). Didn't want to start talking about how many years ago were these events happening, as it's not really relevant until SR2

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 13, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

marasamune posted:

That would be neat, but I'm pretty sure they just plopped a custom skin on a ghost enemy and disabled collision. I could be wrong though.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I think that flays are programmed to move towards all NPCs. In Steinchenroe we encountered Irmok (the lunatic who hints at the disguise form), and if you throw a flay at him, it will track towards him and circle around him for a good minute (the guy is invulnerable). In hindsight, I probably should've shown that off

Yeah. Here's a gif!

Another interesting thing about Ariel there is she has collision unlike every other character sprite. She's a ghost, but you can't walk through her. I don't really know why they did that and don't remember any other NPC (enemy or otherwise) that's like that.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
I'm quite looking forward to this LP. I don't think I've ever actually successfully completed one of these games, but I like the story and of course the acting. As far as Blood Omen goes I never got far after getting the wolf form and I remember the tomb areas I was in being massive and very annoying to actually get through, which is probably why I keep giving up. It'll be good to see a full playthrough done in a competent manner and I've enjoyed all the videos so far, even the Collecathon.

Call your dogs, they can feast on your corpses! :allears:

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 14, 2015

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Just found the LP, thanks for making it. I think this was the second game I got for my ps1 way back when... I miss Silicon Knights and Crystal Dynamics being good :(

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'm amazed the story came out as coherent as it does, in the end. This series has such incredible writing and acting that it's a wonder it even happened, if you'll pardon my cynicism.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone's wondering: the updates will start again this weekend, I just have a thesis and an exam to get done with beforehand

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"
Good luck with your thesis, I look forward to the next update.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, that took me a while
But hey, at least I manage to switch to post-commentary

I won't be disappearing for prolonged periods of time like that anymore

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Glad to see you're back. I don't remember much from when I played this as a kid, but I remember this area being completely horrible. Then again I was one of those kids who never used items or spells so that might have been part of it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Awesome Glad to see this LP back up and running. I was worried thinking this might have died. :(

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm not letting it die, no way :D

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Update!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's really amazing how much lore they actually fit into this game.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Dodging the traps in Malek's Bastion isn't helped by the fact that Kain's walking speed can best be described as "casual stroll".

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I just like to think Kain constantly has the song staying alive constantly playing in his head thus the stroll for everything.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think that nobody in the universe knows how to run until the first temporal paradox happens

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
An update is finally here. This one took a long time, but that's because there's a bonus video this time, which took a hilariously long time to make

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wow those axes sure are special. But at least the whirlwind attack seems to be awesome.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The whirlwind is awesome... as long as there aren't any enemies nearby ><

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We have an update. Didn't think I'd manage to squeeze the entire Termogent Forest in a single video, but I did

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

The damage to health ratio of Kain and the enemies never occurred to me until now, but looking back it makes a good deal of sense.

Also, Vorador's Mansion is one of my favorite locations atmospherically, not counting a later, optional area. It also has some interesting information on content that was cut from it during development.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

When you randomly died - It's the sad thing about the programming of old isometric games. Not sure of the "Hitbox" stuff on them but they've always been awkward as hell.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

The hitboxes in this game are wildly inconsistent. Despite my love of the lore, atmosphere, and voice acting, it's one of the main things that makes it difficult to enjoy playing through it. That and the clunky menus.

Edit: Autocorrect :argh:

DukeofCA fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 12, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

DukeofCA posted:

The hatboxes in this game are wildly inconsistent. Despite my love of the lore, atmosphere, and voice acting, it's one of the main things that makes it difficult to enjoy playing through it. That and the clunky menus.

Took me a minute to figure out that you meant "hitboxes".

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DukeofCA posted:

The hatboxes in this game are wildly inconsistent. Despite my love of the lore, atmosphere, and voice acting, it's one of the main things that makes it difficult to enjoy playing through it. That and the clunky menus.

I remember on the playstation version entering the pause menu took up to a minute to load with 15-30 seconds or so for each sub menu. It was one of the big reasons I stopped playing it as a kid.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I dont know posted:

I remember on the playstation version entering the pause menu took up to a minute to load with 15-30 seconds or so for each sub menu. It was one of the big reasons I stopped playing it as a kid.

I've never had times quite that bad, but even 10 seconds is excruciating when you're constantly entering the menus to switch weapons/armor and spells.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Thankfully, on PC these loading screens take the time they should take on PC - a fraction of a second. Never had to cut them out

Zain posted:

When you randomly died - It's the sad thing about the programming of old isometric games. Not sure of the "Hitbox" stuff on them but they've always been awkward as hell.

Yeah, sometimes enemies will try to hit you and their attacks will go right through without hurting you, sometimes you will be on the receiving end.
And, of course,. there are always sprites being stuck in each other (I think I've even shown this in one of the earlier videos)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DukeofCA posted:

I've never had times quite that bad, but even 10 seconds is excruciating when you're constantly entering the menus to switch weapons/armor and spells.

I had a first generation Playstation, it seemed to have issues with loading in general, but I don't think any other game was as bad about as Blood Omen.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A small announcement: after I post a new update tomorrow, there will be a short hiatus (1.5-2 weeks). I am moving to a different country in a few days and won't be able to transfer the game progress to a laptop, so I will have to focus on recording the game before I leave, then transfer the footage and record the commentary once I settle in

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And here's the promised update

Edit: also, there will be no hiatus, I have managed to record a LOT more than I expected (I am already in the very endgame) in advance and will proceed to make a bunch of videos and publish them every 1-2 days. The frequency will be compensated by the updates being more bite-sized, 10-15 minutes long (usually, although that does vary sometimes depending on the nice natural points in the game to cut a vid off)

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 16, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
That's great news! I think this game is better served by short videos anyway. Thanks for doing this!

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
You were asking in an earlier video what those red haired women things were, they're reused Voradors brides. There's some unused dialog for them thats still on the disc:

"Do I not please you, my lord? Come, taste of my flesh."
"I can sense your lust, warrior. Take of me what you will."
"Oh, such a beautiful body. Oh, the pleasures the undead can bring."
"You fool! Hell hath no fury..."
"Be quick, before Prince Vorador finds him. He is ours for the feasting!"
"Oh come, love - give us a little taste."
"The blood of our own... Oh, 'tis there anything sweeter?"

Here's some unused dialog from the Vorador encounter too:

"Vorador enjoyed his game. I was but a fledgling vampire to him - a child to be coaxed and baited. Vorador bore no ill towards his own kind, so long as I knew my place, he said, I would be safe. "

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for pointing these dialogue buts out

I wonder if these brides that you encounter before reaching the mansion are just reused sprites or if they are actual brides.
Also, the deep guttural grunts are also somewhat out of place :D

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

http://thelostworlds.net/BO1/The_Chess_Match.html

More on the cut chess match with Vorador.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I love the fact that Kain can just pretty much wine and dine with his target.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The update is here, the quest to save the world is temporarily ditched because FULL MOON WEREVOLVES TELEPORTERS THE FUTURE KILL-ALL LAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
While in that last room, I think that the map shows that the door in the north-eastern corner opens at the same time as the central chamber.

• Locked thread