Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
It does, I screwed up ._.
Thankfuly, all that really is there by that point is a bunch of artifacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I really like the Lost City. Besides being a treasure trove of items, it's large and mysterious and its' purpose is unexplained. Who built it? Why is it linked to the full moon? What's with all the snake imagery?

In regards to the entrance being in the same location as the Abyss, Amy Hennig (head writer for Soul Reaver 1, 2, and Defiance) said that there was a connection between the Abyss and the Lost City, but sadly she never elaborated on it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Update! As promised, shorter videos are the way to go now

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

It's fair to say that everything that happens in Blood Omen is unintentional foreshadowing, since the series went in a different direction than what Silicon Knights originally intended. It's still nice to see the callbacks from later games, like with Uschtenheim, Nupraptor's Retreat, and some later locations.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Wonder what SK's original intention was then. Either way the series is still very much a great one. Just would like to know the diverging paths I guess?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
There's some continuity between Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. Amy Hennig who's responsible for directing and writing Soul Reaver (all of them) helped in some capacity with Blood Omen but to what degree is unknown. I do know she didn't write any of Kain's dialog in Blood Omen, pretty much all the text in the game was written by Ken McCulloch (the paedophile). Though that doesn't mean Crystal Dynamics didn't have any input in regards to the overall beats of the story.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That is true, but afaik there weren't any concepts for Shifter at the time of making of Blood Omen, and pretty much everything that was in Soul Reaver was done to tie it in with Blood Omen. Some things just fit much better than they should

Also, an update. And holy hell, is making an update a pain without a mouse (switched from desktop to laptop and didn't bring a mouse, what a dumbass)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this definitely feels like you're getting on to the end game. It's pretty much felt like that since you got the flaming sword, to be honest.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I thought that I wouldn't wind up not making videos for ages, I really did
But I overestimated the amount of free time that I was getting during the first weeks of being abroad

Also, I want to know whether the game-to-voiceover sound volume ratio is okay, because I have had the presets that I used on my desktop back at home and I can't figure them out now when I'm using a laptop with a different sound card (the volumes of everything are very different compared to what I'm used to, so I can't reliably figure them out without input from people who maintain everything unchanged on their end)
I also wonder whether the drop in recording quality is the echo in the room or the laptop's sound card

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
The audio sounded just fine to me.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
It does feel like they really jipped the player out of that one fight. It's not so much that you couldn't ever beat him or anything like that, but it's more that "Oh he's dead now." sort of jip that is no good.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Especially given it's never explained how Vorador managed to kill an animated suit of armor.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

DukeofCA posted:

Especially given it's never explained how Vorador managed to kill an animated suit of armor.

Magic! :science:

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Oh cool. I only ever played Soul Reaver. (And I only thought to look for it when I bought a used DC memory card that had some SR data on it.) Though I'd eventually hear about the other Kain games, I never saw or played any of them... probably because old PC games aren't as easy to collate as consoles. Had no idea Blood Omen was a totally different genre. Well, I get to catch up on another blind spot in my gaming resume, rad.

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

DukeofCA posted:

He was a soul that was bound to a suit of armor. I don't know if it'd be spoilers or not, but trust that his death was entirely plausible.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yes, he was a soul bound to a suit of armor. What annoys me and DukeofCA is that instead of the devs coming up with an explanation of what exactly did Vorador do to finish Malek off, he just somehow killed the soul/ghost/suit, which should've probably been done by unconventional means (or else Kain would've had no issue with it in the first place, like with regular "ghost"-type enemies). I would've really liked to know what these means were: it definitely shouldn't be limited to the lupine form that we saw Vorador morphing into

Oh, by the way, an update

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yes, he was a soul bound to a suit of armor. What annoys me and DukeofCA is that instead of the devs coming up with an explanation of what exactly did Vorador do to finish Malek off, he just somehow killed the soul/ghost/suit, which should've probably been done by unconventional means (or else Kain would've had no issue with it in the first place, like with regular "ghost"-type enemies). I would've really liked to know what these means were: it definitely shouldn't be limited to the lupine form that we saw Vorador morphing into

The game had a protracted and difficult development. Given who abrupt Malek's death is I suspect that there may have been something cut there.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
I liked the block puzzles. Also I'd say Soul Reaver is an amazing technical achievement in the sense its suprising it was able to run on the Playstation with its large seamless environments.

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

Alexeythegreat posted:

Oh, by the way, an update

I mean, it does suck that it wasn't on camera, but judging from the name of the sword he wields I think some sort of reaving may have taken place. Overpower him with wolf form, stab him, and drain him out of that armor.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I tend to disappear quite a lot and for quite a while and then I promise every single time that it won't happen again. This update is no exception lol

Well, I honestly think that Vorador's sword is just a regular sword:
1) not only is "Hybrid" an unofficial name, but it doesn't really refer to anything bar the sword's design being a hybrid between Soul Reaver and a sword that was cut out of the game. It's just "Jagged sword" in the BO script and "Vorador's sword" in SR2 (at least I think that it makes an appearance in SR2... can't remember now tbh) and Defiance
2) we don't have any indication anywhere in the series of Vorador being capable of making a sword that isn't a regular jagged sword. Granted, even with modern real-life equipment takes skill and effort to make a sword shaped like Vorador's sword or Soul Reaver, but still, that's magical capabilities we're talking about

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Alexeythegreat posted:

we don't have any indication anywhere in the series of Vorador being capable of making a sword that isn't a regular jagged sword

Are you sure about that?

Do we really need an explanation on how Vorador killed Malek? He's a 500+ year old vampire who killed five members of a previous Circle. Being able to kill a magical armor ghost doesn't seem like so much of a stretch.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ironslave posted:

Are you sure about that?

Do we really need an explanation on how Vorador killed Malek? He's a 500+ year old vampire who killed five members of a previous Circle. Being able to kill a magical armor ghost doesn't seem like so much of a stretch.

I am. As far as swords are concerned, Vorador is just a blacksmith
We don't need an explanation, but I sure as hell want one :doom:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I either pump them out daily, or don't do jack for weeks upon weeks. Gotta find the balance...

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

Alexeythegreat posted:

I am. As far as swords are concerned, Vorador is just a blacksmith

From Defiance: Raziel: "I sought to unravel the mystery of my fate, and in this image lay my first clue. For this scene depicted the forging of the Reaver – the weapon destined to become my prison – and I recognized its maker. The years had changed him, but this was unmistakably the vampire, Vorador – and in this era, he still lived."

marasamune fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 20, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

marasamune posted:

From Defiance: SPOILERS

Okay, you're spoiling stuff and also leaving out the part where Vorador says all he did was make the physical blade.

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

George posted:

Okay, you're spoiling stuff and also leaving out the part where Vorador says all he did was make the physical blade.

Sorry about that. This game takes place after it was completed, so in his hands during the fight, it's the real deal, was my point.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I fixed the sound! Avernus Catacombs, aka "Hell", are in

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Complaining about block puzzles is always appropriate. Particularly in Soul Reaver, since it takes for drat long to move the blocks. Often you can figure out exactly what you need to do for a given puzzle in a glance, but then spend a short eternity slowly pushing them around.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I dont know posted:

Complaining about block puzzles is always appropriate. Particularly in Soul Reaver, since it takes for drat long to move the blocks. Often you can figure out exactly what you need to do for a given puzzle in a glance, but then spend a short eternity slowly pushing them around.

Which is exactly what happens in just about every block puzzle. Good thing the other games don't have that

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm not sure what it is about Crystal Dynamics/Eidos and their annoying Block Puzzles as it also plagued the early Tomb Raider games as well

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not sure what it is about Crystal Dynamics/Eidos and their annoying Block Puzzles as it also plagued the early Tomb Raider games as well
I guess it's like Bioware and the towers of Hanoi puzzle, it took them a long loving time to stop using it and I wouldn't be too surprised if it has wormed it's way back into some of their newer titles.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I distinctly recall how Soul Reaver's block puzzles were treated like a revolution because you could pull the blocks as well as push them, wowee! So if you unwisely pushed them against a wall, you didn't have to leave the areas and make them reset (as with Resident Evil).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, it's super mega ultra spoilers to say anything about the Soul Reaver other than that it could totally kill Malek, and that while Vorador's sword looks like the Reaver, it isn't the Reaver, and there is nothing special about it that would help him kill Malek. It is a mystery why he could do it while Kain could not.

Anyway, we have the Reaver now, meaning that the best part of the game is coming up. The defining moment for Kain's character, that is responsible for literally every choice that he makes from that point forward.

I can't wait.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, it's super mega ultra spoilers to say anything about the Soul Reaver other than that it could totally kill Malek, and that while Vorador's sword looks like the Reaver, it isn't the Reaver, and there is nothing special about it that would help him kill Malek. It is a mystery why he could do it while Kain could not.

Anyway, we have the Reaver now, meaning that the best part of the game is coming up. The defining moment for Kain's character, that is responsible for literally every choice that he makes from that point forward.

I can't wait.

I second all three statements :D

Vorador's sword is just a regular jagged sword. The design is an amalgamation of the cut down in size Soul Reaver (because the Soul Reaver is a huge-rear end flamberge) and a bone sword that was cut from the game.

The defining moment is actually quite a few updates away, however, as there's crap to do beforehand and some of the updates are very short because of the game's natural cut-off points (and, spoiler, one cut-off that was arbitrarily chosen by myself).

Also, update

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

A little more on Vorador's sword.

http://thelostworlds.net/BO1/The_Bone_Sword.html

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Hmm... not sure how I would be able to address that when I get to Soul Reaver, seeing as I'm not informed in that regard. The only Tomb Raider game I have ever played is the 2013 reboot

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Hmm... not sure how I would be able to address that when I get to Soul Reaver, seeing as I'm not informed in that regard. The only Tomb Raider game I have ever played is the 2013 reboot

I had the original PC port, and it had at least two block puzzles per level and several places where you had to move things to form a bridge or small enough gaps so you can jump to some other platform. It was just as tedious as the Soul Reaver puzzles

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Update!

This one is kind of a filler, since it's another one of those "Get from point A to point B" sections of the game, the only thing that is really of interest here is a few in-game audio files that tell a bit about the location

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's, uhh, Azimuth the Planer, right?

I remember having a terrible time with her as well. The guide I checked said all you had to do was hit her with the Soul Reaver once to kill her, which is obvious bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Squalitude posted:

That's, uhh, Azimuth the Planer, right?

I remember having a terrible time with her as well. The guide I checked said all you had to do was hit her with the Soul Reaver once to kill her, which is obvious bullshit.

It is, but I really liked the way I misspoke once

• Locked thread