Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I love this game and Zone 3 is probably the best zone to play. Love that switch between Fire and Ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Aria is the only way to play hth.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I like Co-op a lot, actually, it feels nicely balanced. Deciding who gets what weapon and working in sync is really fun. It's a little more difficult, but cheesing it a little by killing yourself it you have less than two hearts and being brought back the next level sort of balances it out.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't really like "roguelikes", but I love rhythm games. Will I like this game?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

mabels big day posted:

I don't really like "roguelikes", but I love rhythm games. Will I like this game?

Probably. I'm not a fan of roguelikes and I love it. You can always look up videos of the gameplay and see if it looks good to you, I guess.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RiskyChris posted:

Aria is the only way to play hth.

uhhh i'm pretty sure you mean that bomberman motherfuckin' guy who kicks bombs everywhere

Seriously I can't stop playing as him, what the heck send help???

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Depends on what you don't like about other Roguelikes. I'm not a huge fan of most Roguelikes because I can't stand bad UIs and overly complex and obfuscated game systems you have to either trial and error or spend an eternity reading about on wikis. I picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer and was rocking out stabbing dudes and having a blast thirty seconds later. I've occasionally wiki'd things, but for the most part you can just pick the game up and play.

It also helps that you can (and have to) beat the game in like 25 minutes, tops. When the songs end you get shunted to the next floor, each song is ~3 minutes long, and there's like 9 floors. I hate putting a ton of time into a promising run in a Roguelike just to lose it all to Yet Another Stupid Death, and with this you just sit down, stab some dudes to the beat, then go about your day.

If you like stabbing mans and like awesome music, buy this game.

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 4, 2015

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Depends on what you don't like about roguelikes and what you like about rhythm games. It's a very light roguelike, and a very light rhythm game -- but together it's quite satisfying to play. I think the game designers took a too safe approach by making most of the game a very simple beat pattern.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's less of a rhythm game and more of a very simple+light Roguelike (which is a good thing, most roguelikes are wwwaaaaayyy too complicated to ever be reasonable) that imposes an extremely strict time limit to your turns.

E: vvvv I always felt like it was more of a "THIS IS A SERIOUS STORY I SWEAR ;)" kind of deal

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2015

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Thingyman posted:

This is an amazing game, but I have no idea what they were thinking with the story. You can't tell a serious story that revolves around a dance-filled dungeon built by the Necrodancer. It is not possible to genuinely care about anything going on in it.

It's so silly and trying to be serious, I kind of love it.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

YellerBill posted:

Probably. I'm not a fan of roguelikes and I love it. You can always look up videos of the gameplay and see if it looks good to you, I guess.

As stated before its a really simple roguelike and rhythm game combined into one. It has a zone select and you can unlock items/spells/abilities buy using diamonds you find on runs to make your next playthrough easier.

Did you try Rogue Legacy? If you liked that I'd definitely recommend picking this up, the rhythm game aspect really makes this a wholly unique experience.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Beekeeping and You posted:

It's so silly and trying to be serious, I kind of love it.

The story revolves around a golden lute. It's not trying in the slightest to be serious.
Also during the credit roll you get all the enemy names and it is gloriously punny.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Tell me it's the Golden Lute of Yendor :allears:

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Has anyone played this game with a dance pad yet? I'm going to hook up one of mine sometime this week, I'm super excited for it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any have any advice for dealing with the infinity million enemies in Zone 3 that move every beat if you've only got a dagger? I am having a ton of trouble with the fact that the only way to hit them is to book it for the nearest wall, dig, then actually fight them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bard is cool for playing this when also doing something else.

Is there no way to open it in windowed mode now though?

Thingyman posted:

This is an amazing game, but I have no idea what they were thinking with the story. You can't tell a serious story that revolves around a dance-filled dungeon built by the Necrodancer. It is not possible to genuinely care about anything going on in it.

The mini documentry was kind of funny about that.

"Dead Ringer was designed off a guy who was like, deformed, and smashed into his armor. The game sometimes seems kind of dark... But it can't be serious. Look, it has a mole with sunglasses! :haw:"

Magres posted:

Any have any advice for dealing with the infinity million enemies in Zone 3 that move every beat if you've only got a dagger? I am having a ton of trouble with the fact that the only way to hit them is to book it for the nearest wall, dig, then actually fight them.

Throw it.

RiskyChris posted:

Has anyone played this game with a dance pad yet? I'm going to hook up one of mine sometime this week, I'm super excited for it.

I haven't but a friend of mine did and she got pretty far. Dance pad mode starts you with some bonus stuff (iirc you get another heart, heal spell, 3 bombs instead of 1 and maybe a better shovel/weapon?)

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Magres posted:

Which enemies? The little goblin looking fuckers or the cubes? Either way, just manmode the cubes, and either ignore the goblins or trick them into walking towards you enough that you can just bop em (they run away when you move towards them, and vice versa).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Someone Awful! posted:

uhhh i'm pretty sure you mean that bomberman motherfuckin' guy who kicks bombs everywhere

Thanks for the tip on trying out Eli. I thought he looked a bit gimmicky, but I I just gave him a go and finished all-zones mode on the first try.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're playing all zones mode then prioritize getting any other weapon before then (go for black chests when possible). If you're starting on zone 3 then maybe spend a diamond to start with another weapon. If you're playing as aria, my condolences.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

If you're playing all zones mode then prioritize getting any other weapon before then (go for black chests when possible). If you're starting on zone 3 then maybe spend a diamond to start with another weapon. If you're playing as aria, my condolences.

Wait that's a thing now? I haven't played in a long time.

Cause yeah starting Zone 3 with the dagger is awful.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

The Ring of Courage is my favorite item out of all the lot. Pair that thing up with an Obsidian Rapier or Longsword, and you can fly across the screen dealing 4 or 8 damage a swing and utterly ignoring whatever tries to hurt you. The step-in invul is my favorite part: the +1 damage is just the icing on the cake.
That COURAGE! pop-up is really cathartic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Someone Awful! posted:

Yeah that guy is pretty great, the only thing I don't like is that you can't use other weapons and will, in fact, die if you so much as even touch one. I think you can't use some items/power-ups either or they don't drop for Eli. Eli plus the bomb helmet would be the most OP thing ever.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Roluth posted:

The Ring of Courage is my favorite item out of all the lot. Pair that thing up with an Obsidian Rapier or Longsword, and you can fly across the screen dealing 4 or 8 damage a swing and utterly ignoring whatever tries to hurt you. The step-in invul is my favorite part: the +1 damage is just the icing on the cake.
That COURAGE! pop-up is really cathartic.

Yeah I can't even explain why but Ring of Courage is just the most fun item for me and I'm always really happy to stumble upon it. Courage + rapier fo lyfe.

Speaking of, what is everyone's favorite/least favorite weapon? Like I really try to avoid the whip because its attack pattern messes up my flow, but at the same time it's kinda versatile so I'm coming around on it. Don't really like the cat or the flail but I haven't played with them enough probably. Secret favorite is probably the bow or xbow, even if I screw up and forget to reload sometimes. The little 'ding' is helpful, I don't remember that from early access.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah that guy is pretty great, the only thing I don't like is that you can't use other weapons and will, in fact, die if you so much as even touch one. I think you can't use some items/power-ups either or they don't drop for Eli. Eli plus the bomb helmet would be the most OP thing ever.

Didn't know you died, that's crazy. At least you can blow up pickups with bombs, I guess. You also can't get shovels -- you're stuck with the default baby loser shovel.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Someone Awful! posted:

Didn't know you died, that's crazy.

Yeah I didn't know you could even pick up weapons since they don't typically spawn with Eli. But I think maybe the shrines still drop weapons? Whatever the case, a weapon dropped and I was curious. I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to pick it up and I died. The cause of death on the Game Over screen was "Cowardice" or something like that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I didn't know you could even pick up weapons since they don't typically spawn with Eli. But I think maybe the shrines still drop weapons? Whatever the case, a weapon dropped and I was curious. I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to pick it up and I died. The cause of death on the Game Over screen was "Cowardice" or something like that.

You'll get that if you try to take any other type of weapon or dagger into an Aria stage, too. They're not very specific about fail conditions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't had this happen yet but I really want to get the ring of courage with a golden weapon that has 1 range. Kill an enemy, automatically move onto the gold for super power next beat, kill all enemies in one hit while invincible.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Are golden weapons practically useless to anyone else? If I only have a normal dagger, I'll still pick one up, but I prefer literally anything else because the damage buff is so hard to effectively use.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Golden weapons are awesome early on, because if you get some gold next to a crate you can open them in one blow.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Holy poo poo. I never thought of that.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

That's convenient, though you can also just knock them down a trapdoor and whatever was inside it will be waiting for you on the next level. Or you can knock them into a spike trap and get the item and disarm the trap in the process.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think multiplier weapons are much better since you should be keeping on the beat flawlessly anyways :colbert:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Golden weapons have a passive +gold dropped buff, that's kind of the main boon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Golden weapons are also really good once you realize that the bonus they give is completely ludicrous (it's +999 damage). You'll OHKO anything you hit with the bonus.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Someone Awful! posted:

This post made me try out Eli and he is as fun as advertised.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

This post made me try out Eli and he is as fun as advertised.

Then I have accomplished exactly what I set out to do. :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Monk is breaking my goddamn balls. I've made it to the end of zone 4 exactly once, where I defeated the boss (it was Deep Blues), congratulated myself, and then realized I was stuck in the corner surrounded by gold with no bombs left. :suicide:

I've beaten the game with Cadence, Melody, and Eli. I really want to finish Monk up before I go back to grinding my face off on the nightmarish difficulty wall that is Aria. I made it to floor 4-3 with her once, and then stupidfingered onto a bounce trap that put me in front of a swordsman who stabbed me.

This game is a fucker but it's also amazing and really easy to get into. Everyone should try it. You'll have the music stuck in your head in no time. Come dance with us.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
I've been listening to the sound track this week. Gotta say, the ice/fire tracks don't quite have the same charm without the elementals shaking their booties to the beat. :sparkles:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Monk is breaking my goddamn balls. I've made it to the end of zone 4 exactly once, where I defeated the boss (it was Deep Blues), congratulated myself, and then realized I was stuck in the corner surrounded by gold with no bombs left. :suicide:

what

Does Monk make enemies drop gold even when they usually don't, or were you using a gold weapon on Monk?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
When playing as Monk, enemies in boss rooms drop gold. Just to be a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

When playing as Monk, enemies in boss rooms drop gold. Just to be a dick.

I learned this the hard way playing against coral riff. "Oh, I can just stand here with my cleave weapon and hit all his minions."

• Locked thread