Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Love this game to bits. Except for the bats. gently caress bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It is one of the best puns though.

every pun in this game is the best pun this game

every pun is love, and life

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Crossbows are the game's Easy Mode, to the point that it's a bit comical. Finished my first All Zones run as Cadence with pretty much no problems at all thanks to finding a titanium crossbow in Zone 1. Getting a charm of luck in Zone 2 was an immense help too; one of its subtler effects is to slightly alter bats' AI so they're barely a threat.

But seriously, crossbows. They destroy charging armadillos; they one-shot skeletal knights; they tear right through swordmasters ignoring all of their parry mechanics. I punctured Death Metal's shield without noticing because I was dealing with some of the monsters he spawns with, and accidentally headshotted Coral Riff from across his pool.

What was scary as hell was Dorian getting caught in one of the Necrodancer's freeze spells and being bashed again and again by a pair of trolls before managing to escape with 0.5HP. :gonk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Crossbows are definitely pro as hell.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Daeren posted:

I vastly prefer dragon minibosses compared to some of the poo poo that shows up on later levels, like the Mommy.

I mostly agree, but gently caress ice dragons. gently caress them bad. They're the only miniboss I still semi-frequently gently caress up and die against in one-on-one dance battles - I just have way too much trouble keeping the beat and trying to plan out an angle of attack without cutting it a little too close and getting frozen and wasted. The Mommy is a fucker but if you're fastidious about fighting on your own terms she's not too bad, and dancing over to a room with a trap in it is a great way to manage her spawns. And if all else fails you can just bomb the poo poo out of her.

The worst miniboss is money when you're playing Monk. I cleared zone 4, beat Deep Blues, was completely kicking everything's rear end with a crossbow, had spare bombs, everything was on lockdown, all that was left was to dance to the exit and finally win Monk... and I died because I danced over a single loving coin I didn't see because it was blending into a torch's fire animation :negative:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 20, 2015

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Just got the speedrun WR for Cadence (5:01.58)

http://www.twitch.tv/jackofgames/c/6980119

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm far from amazing at this game, but watching videos has made me realize there are only a few simple tricks I'm missing to get good.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

precision posted:

I'm far from amazing at this game, but watching videos has made me realize there are only a few simple tricks I'm missing to get good.

Yeah there's a few things you need to learn to get big builds (killing shopkeepers, how to use conjurer etc) and then the rest is just learning how to kill enemies and combos of enemies.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
One of the best fights is the conga. I wish the beat of the song were more taken into account. Maybe triplets or more complex sequences with alternating missing beats and tempos, instead of the one hit death mechanic for Aria.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trying to play this game to math rock would sure be something.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

One of the best fights is the conga. I wish the beat of the song were more taken into account. Maybe triplets or more complex sequences with alternating missing beats and tempos, instead of the one hit death mechanic for Aria.

I think Conga works as well as it does because it's just the one song. I think a bunch of other strange beats would detract from the core gameplay

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
you also have the second necrodancer fight which speeds up as it goes on and death metal who just has a fast song

it would have been really great to have more character specific beat patterns outside of bolt and coda though

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
death metal is scum

also i got the 38th highest eli score just now so :puckout:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

death metal is scum

Gives me an excuse to post the online leaderboards! http://crypt.toofz.com/Leaderboards

Here's your page: http://crypt.toofz.com/p/76561197974589713

Here's mine: http://crypt.toofz.com/p/76561197998362244

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

:eyepop:

e: lol that you got 16th as coda with just 348

ill never get coda. aria is too much for me :rip:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy gently caress someone beat Coda

Watching the run now

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 23, 2015

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I was there, Spooty is super good and the best technical player in the game, ie keeping the beat.

I can't keep the double time beat so gently caress Coda.

He also has the Dove speed records (2:08), Dove Score, and a bunch of deathless, including 100 Cadence wins and 53 Dove wins

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I find it easier to keep the beat if I don't actually pay attention to the music.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i make noises at myself like a lovely metronome

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

death metal is scum

I beat Death Metal in zone 4 as Aria but died on the way out. :negative:

Death Metal is my favorite boss, though. He has the best theme and I like the pun.

Magres posted:

Holy gently caress someone beat Coda

Watching the run now

Ok I have to know what the story behind that red text is

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Today was a fun daily:

First time I actually beat an all-zones, that shotgun carried me all the way.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The shotgun basically turns Crypt of the Necrodancer into Dance Dance DoomRL and I love it a lot.

vvv holy poo poo vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 24, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Ok I have to know what the story behind that red text is

Short version is that gamergate hates trans people and gets real, real mad if you ban people for saying lovely thing about trans people.

Long version is that I'm one of the moderators for the r/planetside subreddit. A month or two ago a woman posted a picture of a skirt she made with the logo of one of the in-game factions. Because the internet is awful, the thread devolved into morons pointing and screaming slurs and "OMG ITS A GUY." I banned like a dozen people and told them to write 500 word essays on the (horrifyingly harmful) impacts of transphobia on trans people if they wanted to get unbanned (I figured it'd give me extra chances to mock idiots, and that anyone who actually spent half an hour writing the drat thing was sincere enough to get a second chance). One of them got r/kotakuinaction, the gamergate subreddit, whipped up into a frenzy about Ethics In Gaming Moderation, and one of them decided to drop :10bux: on giving me the best red text ever

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 24, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Short version is that gamergate hates trans people and gets real, real mad if you ban people for saying lovely thing about trans people.

Long version is that I'm one of the moderators for the r/planetside subreddit. A month or two ago a woman posted a picture of a skirt she made with the logo of one of the in-game factions. Because the internet is awful, the thread devolved into morons pointing and screaming slurs and "OMG ITS A GUY." I banned like a dozen people and mocked them when they sent me ban appeals and told them to write an essay on the (horrifyingly harmful) impacts of transphobia on trans people, so one of them got r/kotakuinaction, the gamergate subreddit, whipped up into a frenzy about Ethics In Gaming Moderation, and one of them decided to drop :10bux: on giving me the best red text ever

You should repost that in the griefing thread.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Fair, I did grief minimum a few hundred people into an incoherent rage - everything I've posted on reddit within the timeframe where it can be voted on dropped by a few hundred points, so at least that many people took a couple hours to crawl through my posting history and click the angry button on every single post.

E: also the 'grab yer torches and pitchforks' post on kotakuinaction wound up hitting like 3000 points and was on the front page of reddit. It was a pretty funny day

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 24, 2015

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Magres posted:

Long version is that I'm one of the moderators for the r/planetside subreddit. A month or two ago a woman posted a picture of a skirt she made with the logo of one of the in-game factions. Because the internet is awful, the thread devolved into morons pointing and screaming slurs and "OMG ITS A GUY." I banned like a dozen people and told them to write 500 word essays on the (horrifyingly harmful) impacts of transphobia on trans people if they wanted to get unbanned (I figured it'd give me extra chances to mock idiots, and that anyone who actually spent half an hour writing the drat thing was sincere enough to get a second chance). One of them got r/kotakuinaction, the gamergate subreddit, whipped up into a frenzy about Ethics In Gaming Moderation, and one of them decided to drop :10bux: on giving me the best red text ever

You own.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Magres posted:

If there's a thread about the myriad reasons to never visit Reddit, you should post this in it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Magres posted:

Is... is this love?

You rock :allears:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Snagged this game off the steam summer sale and played it on and off since then. So good! Just beat the necrodancer for the first time in an all zone run as Cadence. Blunderbuss + holster with titanium bow is super good, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't get the loving glass key to spawn in any run where I'm actually doing good and it's driving me nuts.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Snagged this game off the steam summer sale and played it on and off since then. So good! Just beat the necrodancer for the first time in an all zone run as Cadence. Blunderbuss + holster with titanium bow is super good, I guess.

I miss being able to use glass weapons without freaking out because of all the gold Im missing from not using a golden weapon.

incidentally I've learned the art of killing shopkeepers fairly consistently on level one but i don't know much else in terms of getting really crazy high scores. The latest thing i picked up on was the fact that blood shovels are crazy good since they can tear down shop walls for free with a gigantism scroll.

It's funny tho since I did a run on Cadence that got around 10k gold, which blew be past my friends list but still left me at only 150, way behind nutters that got over 20k with what i can only assume to be the dark arts.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I miss being able to use glass weapons without freaking out because of all the gold Im missing from not using a golden weapon.

incidentally I've learned the art of killing shopkeepers fairly consistently on level one but i don't know much else in terms of getting really crazy high scores. The latest thing i picked up on was the fact that blood shovels are crazy good since they can tear down shop walls for free with a gigantism scroll.

It's funny tho since I did a run on Cadence that got around 10k gold, which blew be past my friends list but still left me at only 150, way behind nutters that got over 20k with what i can only assume to be the dark arts.

Obsidian Shovel, Glass Shovel, and Pickaxe can also dig the gold walls. The thing about the blood shovel is that it can dig 4 gold walls for half a heart. Pair this with the ring of wonder and a heal spell and you can dig out every shop wall every level. That's the dark arts you're speaking of.

Most of the rest? Just being really efficient at killing enemies and not dropping the multiplier ever. That has a huge difference on your score.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just picked this up and so far gotten thru the second octupus boss with difficulty. I'm finding it hard to keep the actual beat with weird offbeat sound like when you dig or do other things. Any advice for this?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I just picked this up and so far gotten thru the second octupus boss with difficulty. I'm finding it hard to keep the actual beat with weird offbeat sound like when you dig or do other things. Any advice for this?

sound effects should not be offbeat, try calibrating again or manually setting a sound lag or something

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Finally got to beating Melody, but Aria skips every 7th/8th beat like King Konga right?

That's going to suck, I can never deal with the skipped beats. :|

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Finally got to beating Melody, but Aria skips every 7th/8th beat like King Konga right?

That's going to suck, I can never deal with the skipped beats. :|

No, you just can't miss a beat or you die

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm a big baby and rebound all the combo keys to

qwe
asd

edit: also beat full Melody and full Elliot. Dang Elliot is super fun, and the blast helmet is crazy helpful for Melody's final boss. I don't think I'm good enough for Aria yet so I guess I'll try the other characters.

Also I watched the fasted Elliot speed run (~5 minutes!!). poo poo's crazy, he must have been on a seeded map because he knew where everything was, used trap doors to skip levels, grabbed a phase ring to just walk right to the end and put bombs in the walls and so on.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 28, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got through monk after finding a phase ring and phase dagger and hiding in walls away from all the scary gold forever from that point

bolt is hard

aria is hard

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't think Bolt is that bad with the exception of (wait for it) King Konga and maybe Death Metal.

Unrelated: Today I learned, if you try to bomb all three shrines in the shrine shop it spawns a Green, Red and Blue dragon.

jackofarcades posted:

No, you just can't miss a beat or you die

Well, I hope I can get King Konga 1 or 2 then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
king konga gets a lot easier if you just say "One, Two-and-Three, Four, One, Two-and-Three." to yourself

• Locked thread