Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Today I learned that miner's cap + blood shovel can break gold walls... and kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Anatharon posted:

I don't think Bolt is that bad with the exception of (wait for it) King Konga and maybe Death Metal.

Unrelated: Today I learned, if you try to bomb all three shrines in the shrine shop it spawns a Green, Red and Blue dragon.

Well, I hope I can get King Konga 1 or 2 then.

That happens if you bomb the shriner or any of the shrines you haven't paid for.

This can be used to your advantage http://www.twitch.tv/jackofgames/c/6980119

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Races will be happening soon at twitch.tv/eladdifficult

$250 prize pool

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Does anyone have any tips for Dorian and Monk? Got them to do still, and Bolt too, I guess. I mean and Aria but the tip there is git gud

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Monk: don't be afraid to miss beats while you assess your next move. Keep a bomb or two on hand. Die to a coin you didn't see at the last possible moment. Tear your hair out and curl into the fetal position.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Well I beat Monk.

sort of

I found a seed with ring and dagger of phasing and did it over and over until I got it

On the plus side I feel much more confident flawlessing some bosses.

Also I have #1 seeded monk speed run but I didn't save the replay I guess?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Necrodancer's out on Ps4/Vita now! Pretty decent control schemes and two additional soundtracks. the value.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
an update has happened

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435526671/announcements/detail/611738382089044545

2 new soundtracks, bug fixes

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Ohh poo poo, i love me some new soundtracks. Best thing that could have happened for this game apart from announcing the content DLC.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is good news since it looked like the new soundtracks were going to stay playstation exclusive.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

This is good news since it looked like the new soundtracks were going to stay playstation exclusive.

Nah they never were, Ryan just kind of handwaved it any time we asked him.

FWIW I created mods that replaced the soundtracks anyway and had been playing with those.

Anywyay the new programmer working on the DLC and bug fixes is a really great guy who knows the game inside and out and the DLC / balance changes should be great

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
DLC announced! The Necrodance never ends.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hopefully it's accessible for the non-hardcore, as I couldn't even get a few steps with Aria.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hopefully it's accessible for the non-hardcore, as I couldn't even get a few steps with Aria.

I couldn't beat the final boss with Aria :negative: I'm proud of myself for getting there, at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

DLC announced! The Necrodance never ends.

Better come out for PS4, I can't go back to playing this game on a laptop/without a controller.

Yes I know I can plug a PS4 controller into the laptop, shut up.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

I couldn't beat the final boss with Aria :negative: I'm proud of myself for getting there, at least.

There's actually a not very obvious trick to fighting that boss that turns it into one of the easier fights when you learn it. It involves hitting him twice before every attack. The first strike on him deals 1 damage as normal, but the second attack when he's confused deals bonus damage. You end up killing him before he's even able to summon the second wave of dragons, which was a huge stopping block for me, at least. The setup for damaging him is easy to execute but it's easier to just show it instead of explain it in text: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzKEvml23Y

That guy is going for speed, but there's no reason that you can't just back off every time you double hit the boss to clean up mobs or whatever. Just be mindful of the Lute's independently moving body and it's pretty much an easy clear. Definitely better than death metal 3 or some of the other nonsense bosses.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I know the guy who works on the DLC, and the community pitched him a bunch of ideas.

BTW here's the Necrodancer discord I started. It has over 424 members https://discord.gg/0SqK0Wh35llhjdKA

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Necrodancer races going on right now. Both players have somehow died twice to this seed and the back and forth has been great.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

rip jack :(

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry! Staekk and Joe are really good friends so it's fine. I played well all season but wasn't on my game today.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Loving how many of these races are coming down to the last round. Since I've started watching I haven't seen any cases where someone just won 3 in a row and that was it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

Loving how many of these races are coming down to the last round. Since I've started watching I haven't seen any cases where someone just won 3 in a row and that was it.

Basically - at the top level, and I'd say there's 5 of us - it more or less comes down to who's better at certain builds or who checks the right shop or who's on form that day.

The Top 5 would be:

mudjoe2, SpootyBiscuit, incnone, Staekk, and me. We've all got ~2500 hours in the game except Staekk who's almost done nothing but cadence racing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just ran through as cadence after not playing this game for 4 months

I'm pretty sure I'm traumatized by aria, I felt uneasy until stage 4 and then was going "ah yes, I have all of these patterns perfectly memorized"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

quadrophrenic posted:

The game is entirely controlled by the arrow keys (though there is controller and -dance pad- support!)

Whoops, caught an error in the summary. Should read, The game is entirely controlled by the dance pad (though there is controller and arrow key support!)

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Got a few questions for any speedrunners itt. Is there an educated way of guessing where zone 3 exits are located? Any tricks for efficiently dealing with beetles and blademasters with cat? Are certain wallshops guaranteed to spawn besides zone 1 blood shop? Anyways this game owns and it's pretty much all I've been playing the couple of weeks

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

when is the dlc out

i want more songs

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

bad metaphors posted:

Got a few questions for any speedrunners itt. Is there an educated way of guessing where zone 3 exits are located? Any tricks for efficiently dealing with beetles and blademasters with cat? Are certain wallshops guaranteed to spawn besides zone 1 blood shop? Anyways this game owns and it's pretty much all I've been playing the couple of weeks

zone 3 is hard to read, zooming out is the best way to deal with it but otherwise no.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

when is the dlc out

i want more songs

before the end of the year iirc

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm late to this party but this game is super fun. However, screw Dorian in the Necrodancer fight, he's such a massive liability. Only four hearts and healing items or spells don't work on him. Three times now I lost because he died to a bomb. I'm getting better at it, though, and at least I'm getting to that fight more often, although only when I stick to my ideal setup (longsword/spear/bow, and some kind of healing is pretty much mandatory). It'd be real nice if using a ham, for instance, healed each of Cadence and Dorian for two hearts instead of Cadence for four. I guess I need to keep him as far away as possible once I pick up the lute.

Is there a benefit to turning off the light?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Nobody can see you!

(so you can take items from shops for free)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Oh, hah, that's pretty useful. I'll give that a try some time.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

That's just the ring. The shrine removes torches from the walls which reduces enemy vision. It's great for speed running.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm nowhere near speedrunning the game but that sounds like it might also be useful for Dove, with whom I've done a couple of runs.

Here's another complaint - I never know how much damage I'm going to take from a given enemy. Just now I had three hearts and Dead Ringer one-shot me with a charge attack because I didn't think I should waste my ham in that situation. That's just annoying. With three hearts I feel safe for at least one hit, c'mon. I kind of wish damage was a fixed amount for enemies and bosses, e.g. regular enemies deal X damage, bosses deal Y damage, and armor maybe gives a chance to parry/negate it completely or something like that. As it stands I'm almost always in the dark about my safety/danger level in terms of health.

I should probably just not get hit. :sigh:

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm nowhere near speedrunning the game but that sounds like it might also be useful for Dove, with whom I've done a couple of runs.

Here's another complaint - I never know how much damage I'm going to take from a given enemy. Just now I had three hearts and Dead Ringer one-shot me with a charge attack because I didn't think I should waste my ham in that situation. That's just annoying. With three hearts I feel safe for at least one hit, c'mon. I kind of wish damage was a fixed amount for enemies and bosses, e.g. regular enemies deal X damage, bosses deal Y damage, and armor maybe gives a chance to parry/negate it completely or something like that. As it stands I'm almost always in the dark about my safety/danger level in terms of health. I should probably just not get hit. :sigh:
Damage from enemies is fixed, and armor reduces it by fixed amounts as well (except for things that explicitly double damage taken, like the Judo Gi). The Necrodancer wiki has a breakdown on each; otherwise you can get a feel in the practice rooms.

Dead Ringer's charges in second phase do four hearts base, which was probably what did the trick there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Glare Seethe posted:

I should probably just not get hit. :sigh:

in fairness this is exactly what the game promotes. tanking with full plate, protection charm and a lot of healing will get you far less money than keeping an unbroken 3x modifier

but yes some sort of damage-per-hit thing might be nice for bosses, if just on the boss splash screens. normal enemies you can just practice room on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah there is no such thing as "acceptable damage" in this game. Never rely on intentionally tanking a hit. Armor and heart containers are great, but treat them as leniency on mistakes, not a resource you can expend.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

I've seen some neat 0.5hp blood runs but you're usually running blood fireball to keep you at that threshold. Only time I've seen someone intentionally take damage is when they got stuck with a lovely z1 blood weapon and wanted a quick kill

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Who do i have to kill to get more details on the expansion/dlc?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm late to this party but this game is super fun. However, screw Dorian in the Necrodancer fight, he's such a massive liability. Only four hearts and healing items or spells don't work on him. Three times now I lost because he died to a bomb. I'm getting better at it, though, and at least I'm getting to that fight more often, although only when I stick to my ideal setup (longsword/spear/bow, and some kind of healing is pretty much mandatory). It'd be real nice if using a ham, for instance, healed each of Cadence and Dorian for two hearts instead of Cadence for four. I guess I need to keep him as far away as possible once I pick up the lute.

Is there a benefit to turning off the light?

Tips for the necrodancer fight, if you bring at least three bombs into the room with you, you can bomb up the middle of the stage to get right to the lute and the necrodancer. The boss' explosion attack has a tell where he shakes before blowing, if you don't have cadence within two tiles when he starts shaking, start moving to the middle of the arena as he always teleports after the explosion. Try to keep Dorian within a few tiles of cadence, but always remember what side of cadence he's on, and don't engage the boss if Dorian is between cadence and the boss. Try to engage the boss from above or below to avoid the freeze attack.

You can start breaking those rules when you have the hang of it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

in fairness this is exactly what the game promotes. tanking with full plate, protection charm and a lot of healing will get you far less money than keeping an unbroken 3x modifier

Yeah, I realized this pretty quickly since death was often so unexpected, but it can still be really frustrating to die out of nowhere so felt like complaining about it. I was most definitely not trying to tank Dead Ringer, he just got me fair and square. :)

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

On that note, I know you can redirect a minotaur charge with a flail or ring of war, but can you redirect Dead Ringer on the charge?

• Locked thread