Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think that the only suitable applications of processed American cheese (a la Kraft Singles) are grilled cheese, and for melting on cheeseburgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

The Midniter posted:

I think that the only suitable applications of processed American cheese (a la Kraft Singles) are grilled cheese, and for melting on cheeseburgers.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Also with carl buddig sliced meat on a hamburger bun and microwaved for a quick hot sando.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Republicans posted:

Also with carl buddig sliced meat on a hamburger bun and microwaved for a quick hot sando.

Wrap it in a damp paper towel and steam that poo poo.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Preach it. I was sceptical about the former until a North Amurikkan girlfriend showed me the true way. The burger thing is a no-brainer. All other applications are null and void. I fully embrace my fag status :gay:

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Truths

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The best grilled cheese is the top layer of french onion soup. Gruyere...

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

:australia: this oval office

Tiggum posted:

Make a jaffle instead.

But for reals colby or jarlsberg

stirgeness
Apr 4, 2015
White bread american cheese is old faithful to me. I realize it makes me a shitter, but it tastes like home sweet home and makes me happy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

stirgeness posted:

White bread american cheese is old faithful to me. I realize it makes me a shitter, but it tastes like home sweet home and makes me happy.

It's okay to enjoy trashy food man. Stay happy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Last night I made a grilled cheese with honey mustard, brie, and apple slices on Italian bread. It was Tha Shitt™.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Norns posted:

It's okay to enjoy trashy food man. Stay happy.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
My favorite is to use pepper jack cheese and multigrain bread. American and white is good too. I just think the normal wonderbread white is not very sturdy.

Edit: To be 100% clear, gently caress anyone who tells people what foods are "good" vs "bad".

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 5, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you make grilled cheese you're a fag

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

Does a croque monsieur count?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

mindphlux posted:

I've never cooked a grilled cheese burning wood before. Good results?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, why do you call what is clearly a fried sandwich "grilled cheese" anyway? That's a really dumb name.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Norns posted:

It's okay to enjoy trashy food man.

No it isn't.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ColdPie posted:

No it isn't.

Okay guy

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ColdPie posted:

No it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

So, why do you call what is clearly a fried sandwich "grilled cheese" anyway? That's a really dumb name.

In the USA grill means fry. Like their greasy spoon places are often a "bar and grill", and those places aren't putting food under a broiler/grill in their wall oven, they're frying it on a flat top or in fry pans.

I do my grilled cheese in an electric sunbeam or breville sandwich maker or panini press, and call them "toasties", like any other Aussie.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 6, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

In the USA grill means fry.

what

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
what not?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a george forman ribbed frying machine is perfect for making ribbed fried cheese sandwiches

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yall never heard of flat grills?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Fo3 posted:

I do my grilled cheese in my trusty, crusty panini press

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I've always assumed that the "grilled" descriptor was perhaps a corruption of 'griddled', as such sandwiches were and are best cooked on a griddle or other flat cooking surface. Moreover, in a lot of diners / greasy spoon type joints, the griddle is referred to as a grill, even though it's clearly a griddle. One can easily see how, at such an establishment, the cook might be told to toss a cheese sandwich on the grill - which would logically make it a grilled cheese sandwich, even though the grill in question is actually a griddle.

I do enjoy the idea that grilled somehow means fried in the US. I get a mental image of somebody asking one of his buddies to toss a few steaks on the grill, and said friend nodding enthusiastically as he chucks strip steaks whole into a pot of boiling oil.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Norns posted:

Okay guy

I bet when you pass someone carrying McDonald's down the street, you don't even spit on them. For shame.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

rj54x posted:

I do enjoy the idea that grilled somehow means fried in the US. I get a mental image of somebody asking one of his buddies to toss a few steaks on the grill, and said friend nodding enthusiastically as he chucks strip steaks whole into a pot of boiling oil.
Fried means deep fried there? Frying here is what we do in a fry pan (skillet), you'd have to stipulate deep frying if that's what you're going for.

I mean it makes sense that "fry" means deep fried (eg KFC, potato fries), but for some reason we ended up different and don't use the word broiler, so everything had to change meaning. Our grill is your broiler, our griddle is your grill. Our "BBQ" is outdoor version of cooking on a gas US griddle and grill.

e: VV
I was trying to say to tiggum (who I think is an aussie, that US grilled means Aussie fried) . Didn't see the harm in loving around in this thread.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 7, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

Fried means deep fried there? Frying here is what we do in a fry pan (skillet), you'd have to stipulate deep frying if that's what you're going for.

I mean it makes sense that "fry" means deep fried (eg KFC, potato fries), but for some reason we ended up different and don't use the word broiler, so everything had to change meaning. Our grill is your broiler, our griddle is your grill. Our "BBQ" is outdoor version of cooking on a gas US griddle and grill.

what the gently caress are you talking about

just stop

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 7, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Fo3 posted:

e: VV
I was trying to say to tiggum (who I think is an aussie, that US grilled means Aussie fried) . Didn't see the harm in loving around in this thread.

Yeah, a lot of this still isn't exactly right about the terminology in the US.

Outside of a restaurant, no one in the US would call anything but a charcoal or propane grill a grill. Most people here would probably call what you're referring to as a griddle as a flat top stove. Fry here has two meanings, either pan fry or deep fry. Both are used fairly frequently as verbs, but if you called something fried, you'd almost certainly mean deep fried.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Also the US is really loving big. So not everywhere uses the same terminology for everything.

Thanks.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Norns posted:

not everywhere uses the same terminology for everything.
:thejoke:
Tiggum sperged about calling it grilled when it should be called fried, someone else said it should be a griddled sandwich.
I just "sunbeam" or "breville" them, call them "toasties", and give no fucks. I was just making GBS threads around like I said before, due to this thread has e: having no redeeming points.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 7, 2015

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

It isn't rocket science, its a grilled cheese. Use regular bread and cheddar cheese, dont try to do anything fancy and dont make it with white trash ingredients.

gently caress you man. You can pry my sourdough and provolone from my cold dead hands.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Can I still be gay if I use homemade bread and mozzerella/provolone/swiss.

Who the gently caress only uses one cheese in a grilled cheese, anyway.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The fag op.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Its grilled cheese, not grilled cheeses jfc

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Wait - what was frying again? I thought that fried food went into a fryer, and then got fried, where as griddled food was made on something flat, but grilled food could be made in an oven, or on a grill?

Do you bake your chicken in the oven - or is baking reserved for breads? http://youtu.be/ymdssZOAx3Q

You are confusing me

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
In Korea they have these street grilled cheese sandwiches. They use a thin slice of low quality deli ham, American cheese, eggs with corn, and some kind of sweet spread. Maybe more of a breakfast sandwich technically. They cost about a dollar and I always got one getting on or off the subway. I have tried several times to replicate the taste but failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

In Korea they have these street grilled cheese sandwiches. They use a thin slice of low quality deli ham, American cheese, eggs with corn, and some kind of sweet spread. Maybe more of a breakfast sandwich technically. They cost about a dollar and I always got one getting on or off the subway. I have tried several times to replicate the taste but failed.

Msg?

• Locked thread