Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

VikingofRock posted:

New version of Elm is out.

quote:

Primes — Names like x' are no longer permitted.

but... but... but... I liked my primes :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

Elm is great if you like enduring the horrors of front-end web development and the horrors of learning a new gimped language that has no other purpose than the horrors of front-end web development at the same time

Eh... it's not gimped that much v:shobon:v

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Genuine question: What's the real world utility of dependent types?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Asymmetrikon posted:

...we can also get rid of a lot of functions that return Maybe a by restricting the input type to only inputs that would allow defined outputs...

I've been munging some nested data structure in Elm and I want this so bad!!!

This point should be in the marketing of dependent type langs.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What *is* OTP anyway? A design pattern? A library? An API?

The little research I did didn't clarify any of that (maybe I'm looking at the wrong docs or at the docs wrong) and the name sure as hell doesn't make it any clearer. It doesn't help that some people mention Erlang/OTP as if it's a variant of Erlang. Well, is it???

totally not baiting mononcqc :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can someone motivate me to learn clojure? what can it do better? a demonstration would be nice.

i keep telling myself to learn it but i cant seem to find value in it :(

• Locked thread