Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Snak posted:

There's lots of stuff I still don't understand though. What's a good resource for explaining the role of monads in language design? Like I get how they are used in Haskell, but in the hypothetical scenario where I was constructing a language, I wouldn't able to implement monads because I don't "get" them on a more basic level.

Check out Tom Stuart's material on them. Take your pick of videos, posts...there's even a Ruby gem on github, with an almost embarrassingly simple implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

drat, what's your favorite functional language then?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I work in a polyglot web development team of 100+ and we write 99% of our code in VMs (though we switched to remote ones a year and a half ago). It's not a joke, it's very good.

Check out vagrant, it has some kind of folder sharing so you can edit with any ide you want on the physical host while still having a sane environment.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What about Erlang? I don't have any direct experience of it, but people who talk about it go on and on about millions of processes on your laptop or whatever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Athas posted:

That's concurrency, not parallelism.

I'm not that ignorant, I just thought share-nothing concurrency would lend itself to parallelism too. But thank you for the answer.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

xtal posted:

What we need to do is make Nix not suck, then this problem will be permanently solved

I was going to say that nix is already good, but then I remembered how much trouble people seem to have with git, and I admit it's not as good as git.

But really, everyone, please use nix.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Oh, if that's the part that bothers you, then guix uses guile, feel free to use and promote that instead. I care more about spreading functional package management in general, independent of interface. Personally, with Nix-the-language, I've finally reached my usual functional language plateau of ignorant competence where I can write some, and understand most that I read, but not form a useful critique about what should be different.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MononcQc posted:

First conference was a private corporate one. I made a second presentation at reactive summit in austin earlier this year which was recorded though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIPijEqrNI

The matching slide copies are at http://www.slideshare.net/Reactivesummit/the-zen-of-erlang

Informative and entertaining. You got multiple laughs out of me, so I assume the audience's silence was from awe at your sheer presence.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I haven't but it sounds like a perfect opportunity to start using nix. :v:

More seriously, it looks like support is still highly bare-bones and you'd have to write all the package definitions yourself except for the three already in nixpkgs. Meaning you'd have to learn another new language at the same time, which I would never unsarcastically recommend.

But! Nix is great! And people who already know Idris should learn nix and contribute to nixpkgs! Hence my responding with something that doesn't really help you!!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

xtal posted:

Having Idris use a general package manager would be way better than building another package manager for every single language but Nix looks kind of hacky and cruddy tbh

I love it but I totally understand this impression. If you like the concept, maybe look at guix ("geeks") instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Roadie posted:

Imagine your language of choice, being able to treat a function as an object (if you're not already able to), but then also being able to map and index on it as if it was an array.

That's JavaScript.

• Locked thread