Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

QUACKTASTIC posted:

"The Indonesian people and government express our sympathies to the families and friends of the deceased."

Mr Abbott said despite the anger over the executions, he was confident the relationship between Indonesia and Australia could be restored.

"It's a sign that decent people in Indonesia appreciate the anger that Australians feel at these cruel and unnecessary deaths, and it's a sign that the good and strong relationship with Indonesia can be resumed," he said when asked about the statement.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-01/decent-indonesians-understand-australias-anger-bali-nine-abbott/6437038

All bluster and lip service, then as soon as it passes here come the walk backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Does anyone think it's a bad idea for Europe to take a leaf out of Australia's book?

EDIT: Goddamnit this is a stupid article https://newmatilda.com/2015/04/29/executing-drug-dealers-why-stop-bali-nine

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 1, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Somebody draw an editorial cartoon of the Bali 2 smuggling drugs into Heaven.

No, but here's something equally tasteless.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Watched 'The Rover', captured country Australia pretty well.

Had no TV or internet for a while, so will read how the ALP is doing in QLD.

The LNP will stagger on federally, but still hoping for magic spill instability.

And so this isn't an empty post.

quote:

This is Australia. Workers have rights. We organised for these rights and were killed by police or company men for them. Also given we're in a recession about to become great depression 2 boogaloo, you need to know your rights rather than know nothing and let loving born to rule shitheads gently caress your life up.

At the very worst you should be getting the non award minimum wage of $16.37

There are four kinds of workers.

Casual: You pay tax, receive super, and your pay will have +25% of the award rate. The award rate is the pay that has been agreed for that position legally. You do not get sick leave or annual leave.

Permanent part time (PPT). You pay tax, receive super, sick leave and annual leave. You'll be guaranteed a minimum amount of hours. Typically its 2-3 days, so 16-24 hours.

Permanent (PT). You pay tax, receive super, sick leave and annual leave. You're guaranteed 38-40 hours and have a lot of legal protection. Ultimately you should aim for PPT or PT.

Contractor. You could need a ABN, and this is a magical grey area with taxation, super and pay. Basically companys will use this to gently caress you over and gently caress your rights. Do not go contractor unless you have fully sick skills bro and fully understand your legal requirements.

http://www.actu.org.au/default.aspx
This is the ACTU. Its the council of Australian unions. Your industry has a union. Unions help protect you from unfair dismissal, and help enforce your legal rights, as well as providing legal support when the company fucks up and trys to dump it all on your head. It is a reassuring thing knowing if something went completely wrong at work, you don't have to worry about legal protection.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/
Unions can give you legal support and help you immediately. Fairwork can help in the sense of doing a long term investigation of the company. If the company fires you in the meantime, they might be able to get you reinstated but 6-12 months down the track maybe. They provide legal advice and can tell you if something is shonky and who you should get in touch with. Your union should be your first point of contact, then fairwork.

https://www.ato.gov.au/
These people give you a tax file number that you'll need for all your work. You pay them tax. If you're employer is not paying your tax properly or paying you correctly at all, you can tell the ATO who will put the fear of god into them and gently caress their poo poo up. Generally they hit small and medium size business's harder because its simpler. If its a large to multinational it'll take time since the company has legal resources that can stall despite it failing to do the right thing.

Get educated about what you're entitled to people.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Haha, who the hell wrote that Independent Australia summary?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, at least you're not calling the Australian Democrats right-wing anymore. IT WAS ALL MEG LEES' FAULT I KEEP TELLING YOU

Here's a update on the Dems' deregistration issue, straight from national president Darren Churchill:

Darren Churchill posted:

The April 16 announcement of de-registration by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) came as a shock
to members and those of us who have worked so hard on the three-yearly review of registration. The review
process is undertaken every electoral cycle for all non-parliamentary parties.
This is not the end for our party. The AEC decision is reviewable, under the
legislation. We are appealing the decision. The Australian Democrats had 28 days
from April 16 to lodge our appeal.
This is what has happened:
* The AEC will only accept 550 names. They will not accept more. They will
accept fewer but the chances of success are considerably reduced;
* When I wrote to you a few days ago, we were in stage 2 of the membership
audit;
* The AEC had audited our membership (550 names) once earlier this year
(stage1) and we had to resubmit a revised list of 550 members, as we had
stumbled at the first hurdle (stage 1);
* Stage 2 resulted in the decision to deregister the party.
This occurred for the following reasons (extract from a letter from the AEC to the Registered Officer):
"In accordance with ABS advice, the AEC contacted 38 members in order to confirm their membership of the
party, with four persons able to deny membership and still satisfy the AEC that the party has 500 members.
Of the 38 members contacted, 32 confirmed their membership while six denied they were members of the
Australian Democrats.
The Australian Democrats (the Party) has not demonstrated that it has the requisite 500 members to maintain
registration under the Act. Accordingly, the AEC has deregistered the Australian Democrats under s.137(6) of
the Act."
The Australian Democrats maintain registration in NSW (minimum 750 members, subject to annual review),
where we recently stood a ticket of fifteen candidates for the NSW Legislative Council; and we are looking to
reregister in South Australia before the 2018 SA election, following a wave of enthusiasm in two recent State
by-elections.
I am confident that we can be successful in the appeal and be reinstated to the AEC’s Register of Political
Parties before the next federal election. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any queries. Keep
the faith!

The problem was further compounded by the faction issue: the members of the breakaway faction apparently let their membership in the party proper lapse.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
We warned you about splits

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No one cares

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

tithin posted:

No one cares

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Although I don't mind the idea of the thread all joining the democrats and voting to expel the twenty existing members.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

firstdog is dumb and wrong.

Australians would of course save a drowning person, i mean for fucks sake, our Prime Minister is in budgie smugglers for this specific circumstance.

in that shite analogy, the navy literally watches asylum seeker boats sink and people drown, which is not and never has been the case.

Australia picks up those dudes and then locks them in offshore concentration camps.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

in that shite analogy, the navy literally watches asylum seeker boats sink and people drown, which is not and never has been the case.

quote:

Fiona said she was also aware of the level of indirect political pressure applied to border protection operations.

She said the captains of naval ships were told not to board asylum seeker vessels until they were in Australian waters, and the crews and passengers were then subject to Australian migration law.

She claims that on at least one occasion, an asylum seeker vessel sank as a result.

"In the incident that I've described where the boat overturned and people died, that pressure came from Canberra," she said.

Trail of bodies 'stretched for 70 miles'
Another serving Navy officer, 'Michael', also said he witnessed occasions in which unseaworthy asylum seeker vessels were not boarded because of decisions made in Canberra.

He said this pressure took the form of "suggestions" relayed to the captains of boats, rather than direct orders.

"Our vessel was delayed 15 hours for a boarding on one occasion and we got reports in from surveillance aircraft that that vessel had sunk 13 hours ago," he said.

"All we found was probably a line about 70 miles long of bodies. We fished them out for as long as we could, 'til we were full. And that wasn't uncommon."

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Come on, we cant keep running people out of this thread.
Auspol should have equal representation of all current political parties.

You guys keep being dicks to ScreamingLlama, and soon enough there'll be no Democrats here.
Hardly a fair representation of the Australian political landscape if you ask me.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Negligent posted:

firstdog is dumb

Agreed

Negligent posted:

At the risk of replying to negligent...

This is actually not true, there have been numerous cases where search and rescue missions were delayed for numerous hours. They were not delayed because the navy was busy but because someone in DIAC (or whatever) decided that they should wait until the boat has already sunk to send the search and rescue team. Due to the fact that it takes hours to travel anywhere in water this may as well be "watching them drown".

Unfortunately my google-fu is weak and i couldn't find the article.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Murodese posted:

Haha, who the hell wrote that Independent Australia summary?

Reads like it was cribbed straight from their promotional materials.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

cool unsourced quote bro

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

ScreamingLlama posted:

Well, at least you're not calling the Australian Democrats right-wing anymore. IT WAS ALL MEG LEES' FAULT I KEEP TELLING YOU

Here's a update on the Dems' deregistration issue, straight from national president Darren Churchill:

The problem was further compounded by the faction issue: the members of the breakaway faction apparently let their membership in the party proper lapse.

The problem is that in a random sample, 15% of the people on your members list claim to not be members.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Negligent posted:

cool unsourced quote bro

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/navy-personnel-open-up-about-border-protection/5933260

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cool unqouted source bro

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I didn't mean unsourced in the sense of lacking a url, which I could google easily

I mean unsourced becuase lets all believe 'fiona'

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

Summary of last months thread:

It was poo poo. Too many people replied to Craig and Negligent. The less said about the April thread the better.

the tldr version of what i said is that living in cambodia with free healthcare (inc mental health), accomodation, a cash payment etc etc is better than being stuck on some godforsaken offshore hellcamp

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ScreamingLlama posted:

Keep us posted - it'll be interesting to see what happens with another alternative party in Australia. The more alternatives the better, maybe it'll sink in to people that we're not the US and it's not a two horse race.

I'll still be voting green though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Brissy looking a bit like Mordor ATM

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Brissy looking a bit like Mordor ATM

Implies that it doesn't always look like Mordor

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The problem is that in a random sample, 15% of the people on your members list claim to not be members.

Had you actually paid attention, you would know the reasons behind that.

tithin posted:

No one cares

YOU don't care.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Murodese posted:

Implies that it doesn't always look like Mordor

Implies that it isn't Mordor

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So much RAIN

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ScreamingLlama posted:

tithin posted:

No one cares

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

ScreamingLlama posted:

Yeah, you submitted a bunch of names of people who aren't members and pretended that they are.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

So much RAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3-ITn0e00U

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

Because you gave them a list that included non-members?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog on the Moon:

Who is First Dog on the Moon?

I cannot speak for most of those claims, like books and radio, but he earned the Walkley for this cartoon in 2012:

In it he captured the response to asylum seekers that was typical of both the public who don't know or care about the complex issue, and the political class who do know and care, but only to use it as a tool to play to the xenophobic right in Australia.

This one was very well done. Very good.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

They could also keep their membership active for the explicit purpose of denying their affiliation the AEC, leading to de-listing and getting hijacked by the 'splitters'. Either way, lol at fighting over the corpse of the democrats.

Negligent posted:

the tldr version of what i said is that living in cambodia with free healthcare (inc mental health), accomodation, a cash payment etc etc* is better than being stuck on some godforsaken offshore hellcamp

*for a couple of years...

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Drama from a defunct political party is somehow even more pathetic than student politics drama.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
thread sucks

gas thread ban op

Happy May Day smurflings

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ScreamingLlama posted:

YOU don't care.

Not even a little bit. Doubt many others do.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It doesn't rain in Mordor, you idiots.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

HookShot posted:

Umm, wrong. It rains ash and molten rock.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

Sauron does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

Umm, wrong. It rains ash and molten rock.

This is true.

Stay away from Mt. Cootha.

• Locked thread