Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just saw the Advertiser in the break room at work and there is no back page today - instead it's a full page ad for a betting company. Journalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Happy May Day, comrades

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
GERARD HENDERSON’S MEDIA WATCH DOG – ISSUE NO. 267
1 MAY 2015

The inaugural issue of “Gerard Henderson’s Media Watch” was published in April 1988 – over a year before the first edition of the ABC TV Media Watch program went to air. Since November 1997 “Gerard Henderson’s Media Watch” has been published as part of The Sydney Institute Quarterly. In 2009 Gerard Henderson’s Media Watch Dog blog commenced publication.

Phillip Adams @PhillipAdams_1

Meeting of Gérard Henderson Appreciation Society tonight. Sydney Opera House phone booth

Witty, eh? Er, perhaps not. The first use of this joke – as far as Hendo is aware – occurred during the second conscription referendum in 1917 when Archbishop Daniel Mannix ran a similar joke against one of his pro-conscription opponents.

Except that the reference was to a Sydney lolly shop – rather than a Sydney Opera House phone booth. A century later, this joke does not travel all that well. Come to think of it, nor does Phillip (“Have I told you of my latest illness?”) Adams.

WALEED ALY’S ALIENATED RANT

The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald celebrated May Day this morning with a leftist rant by Monash University academic and Fairfax Media columnist Waleed Aly. Titled “Executed duo were mere pawns in a larger power game” (SMH) and “Bali pair never stood a chance in tragic game” (The Age), Aly made the following point about the execution by Indonesian firing squad of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran:

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran are not simply the victims of their own crimes and a sadly corrupted judicial process. In a tragic way, they are so much less than that: pawns surrendered for ostensibly greater things. Now that it is done, we can admit the truth we were suppressing – that they never stood a chance. All the videos and the vigils, all the diplomacy and the lobbying, were never going to conjure a miracle. Their lives stood at the intersection of a suite of circumstances that had ordained a course for them. And perhaps most gallingly, those circumstances had nothing to do with them. Their deaths are simply the debris.

Aly went on to blame the executions on (i) the Treaty on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters and, wait for it, (ii) “our War on Terror” along with (iii) Indonesia’s reaction to Australia’s tendency to “push them around”. Oh yes, he also mentioned Australia’s beef exports to Indonesia and “our bellicose approach to border protection”. So it’s all Australia’s fault – due to the policies and attitudes of “successive governments” – both Labor and Coalition.

Blame Tony Abbott. Blame Kevin Rudd. Blame Julia Gillard. Blame John Howard. Blame George W. Bush and Tony Blair and the Coalition of the Willing and the War on Terror. And so on. But don’t blame Bob Brown, Christine Milne and the Greens.

The only problem with Waleed Aly’s analysis is that Indonesia firing squads this year have shot down drug traffickers from (inter alia) Brazil, Nigeria, Malawi and Vietnam. Not one of those countries were deeply involved in (i) the War on Terror or (ii) the Indonesian-Australian relationship. Waleed Aly is an academic with a leftist axe to grind.

KATHARINE MURPHY’S PLEA ‘WOT ABOUT THE BEHEADERS?’

Let’s go to the transcript of last Sunday’s Insiders where The Guardian’s Katharine Murphy exhibited a bleeding heart which she developed obviously from her years at The Age. The topic turned on Foreign Minister Julie Bishop’s recent visit to Iran and the possibility that Australia and Iran might exchange security information concerning Daesh or the so-called Islamic State (ISIS) and all that.

Katharine Murphy: I think it should be noted – and it wasn’t really in much of the reporting this week – that the Foreign Minister certainly has not, seems to have sought no special protection for any Australian citizens who are in the field fighting for ISIS. Maybe we shouldn’t care about these people –

Mark Kenny: No, we shouldn’t.

Katharine Murphy: But they are still Australian citizens.

Mark Kenny: Well if they’re fighting for ISIS they’ve rescinded their Australian citizenship.

Katharine Murphy: Well sure, but I’m just saying that the Iranian ambassador couldn’t have been clearer on Fran Kelly’s program this week. He basically said that if these people are in harm’s way and they have to happen to encounter Shi’ite militia then you know, Bob’s your uncle. [Here Ms Murphy went through a throat-slitting action].

Mark Kenny: Fair enough. It’s a war-zone.

Katharine Murphy: Well sure, I’m not setting myself up here defending these people I’m just making a point that has not been ventilated in the reporting terribly much.

So there you go. Right now Sunni Muslims are leaving Australia to head off to Syria or Iraq with the intention of killing Shi’ite Muslims. By beheadings, burnings and the like. And Katharine Murphy not only reckons that the Australian government should “care” about our home-grown beheaders like Khaled Sharrouf but also believes that Julie Bishop should seek their “special protection” while they are busy murdering Shi’ite Muslims in Syria and Iraq. Can you bear it?

NICHOLAS REECE DISCOVERS THAT YES NEW ZEALAND HAS NO SENATE

As avid MWD readers will be well aware, University of Melbourne principal fellow Nicholas Reece is shaping up as one of the most clueless academics in Australia.

Last Monday, The Age published a piece from the University of Melbourne’s foremost media tart titled “Forget the cricket: NZ streaks ahead in policy”. Your man Reece commenced his piece by stating, that “the Kiwis are beating the pants off us when it comes to national policy reform. It was only in the second last paragraph that Nicholas Reece made the obvious point:

A final factor is the differences between Australia’s and New Zealand’s political systems. Reform is made easier in New Zealand because it has neither an upper house of Parliament, nor a federal system with its added complexities.

Ultimately, Australia’s future prosperity depends on its political system rediscovering its reform mojo. Hopefully we can learn some lessons from the New Zealand branch of our family, before a major crisis becomes the painful catalyst of change.

Stunningly brilliant, don’t you think? Reece has discovered that New Zealand has neither a Senate nor even State governments. However, he believes that Australia can learn some lessons from New Zealand about rediscovering our “reform mojo” – but has no proposals as to how the Abbott government can get its proposed economic reforms through the Senate or prevail over the States. All he has is a cliché – the call for mojo restoration. Can you bear it?

YES NICHOLAS REECE HAS NO FACTS TODAY

While on the topic of the hopeless Nicholas Reece, this is what the Melbourne University academic – and former Julia Gillard adviser – said on Paul Murray Live on Monday:

Nicholas Reece: Gerard Henderson is a regular on prime-time ABC.

This surprised Paul Murray who said that it would be more accurate to say that Hendo appeared on prime-time ABC “once a month”. The presenter of Paul Murray Live was close to the mark.

It may be that, due to his numerous TV appearances, Mr Reece does not have time to do research. However, if he had done any work at all he would know that Hendo rarely if ever appears on “prime-time ABC”. Listed below are the number of times Gerard Henderson has been on key ABC discussion programs between January 2012 and April 2015:

ABC 1 News Breakfast Zero

7.30 Zero

ABC 1 The Drum Zero

Q&A Zero

Big Ideas – TV and Radio Zero

ABC News 24 Zero

RN Drive Zero

RN Saturday Extra Zero

RN Sunday Extra Zero

Late Night Live Zero

774 Mornings Zero

702 Mornings Zero

702 Drive Zero

774 Drive Zero

ABC News Radio 1

Radio National Breakfast 1

AM, The World Today, PM 3 (estimated)

Lateline 3 (one interview, two “grabs”)

Insiders 29

In other words, Hendo rarely appears on ABC – “prime-time” or any other time. Your man Reece obviously imagines that he sees and hears Hendo on the ABC – when he doesn’t. It’s called delusion.

Needless to say, Nicholas Reece went into denial and declined MWD’s request to provide evidence in support of his hopelessly wrong statement. Can you bear it?

[Er, no. But it’s possible that Nicholas Reece is channelling Jonathan (“Proudly the ABC’s Sneerer-in-Chief”) Green in just making things up. – Ed]

DAVE HUGHES – A CUT BELOW THE REST

What a stunning piece by Dave Hughes in the Herald Sun on Wednesday titled “Success in a snip”. You see, your man Hughes wants us all to know that he’s had a vasectomy…and it was all over pretty quick. Apparently, Holly (Dave’s missus), insisted on the procedure. Fair enough. But who instructed Dave to write about it?

David (“I’ve had a snip”) Hughes concluded his column as follows: “One thing I know for sure is there’ll be no more Hughesys born in the world.”

To which Nancy’s (male co-owner) responds: “Thanks God for that.” Here’s hoping Hughsey never has an operation for haemorrhoids – since he might feel the urge to tell all about it in the Herald Sun. Can you bear it?

EXIBITIONIST VISITS GALLERY’S NAKED EXHIBIT

Meanwhile Benjamin Law decided to write up his artistic streak at the National Gallery of Australia’s nude-appreciation of the work of Melbourne artist Ringholt.

Your man Law felt the need to let it all hang out (as is his wont) in last Saturday’s Good Weekend. In the stunning piece Mr Law said that “he had been to nude beaches, Japanese onsen and even participated in clothes-free yoga”. Yawn. Then, quick as a flash, Benjamin proceeded to tell us about his naked night at the Gallery. Apparently, he now regards himself as an art form. Yawn again. Benjamin Law’s piece concluded as follows:

The next morning, photos of the tour make it into the morning news. I get text messages from my friends. “IS THIS YOU?” they ask. Sending screen shots of my bum. Usually, I’d be self-conscious but I figure that my butt doesn’t look so bad. In fact, I even go so far as to call it a work of art.

Nancy’s male co-owner agrees and believes that the Law butt should be placed in a formaldehyde solution and exhibited in a glass case. Just like Damien Hirst’s shark. How artistic can you get? Can you bear it?

Congratulations to John Barron, he of the ABC Fact-Checking Unit, who identified what Sydney radio personality John Laws used to call a “deliberate mistake” in MWD Issue 266.

In last week’s “MWD Anzac Day Scoop” item, it was revealed that the ABC sent a contingent of 38 personnel to cover the 100th anniversary of the landing of the First Australian Imperial Force on Anzac Cove. MWD revealed a cunning plan by ABC managing director Mark Scott to use the ABC personnel covering the event to conquer the office of the Turkish public broadcaster – TRT – in Istanbul.

For reasons unknown, ABC management refused to release the names of ABC presenters in the First Aunty Invasion Force. This is how MWD Issue 266 explained the matter:

At the risk of revealing military secrets [Get over it. No one in Turkey reads MWD – Ed], MWD can state that it has identified a number of ABC presenters tripping over one another in the Gallipoli trenches and going up and down the stairs of the HMAS Anzac which is moored off Anzac Cove.

The list includes John Barron, Scott Bevan, Eliza Borrello, Zoe Daniel, James Glenday, Fran (“I’m an activist”) Kelly, Michael Rowland and Phillip (“call me Phil”) Williams. It’s a powerful, experienced contingent. There also may be some ABC presenters digging tunnels under the Gallipoli trenches. If they surface, MWD will reveal their identities next week. Or, perhaps, in 2115.

This week Mr Barron contacted MWD (see Correspondence section) advising that he “did not go to Gallipoli”. Unlike the ABC, MWD corrects errors. Especially those of the John-Laws-style-deliberate-mistake variety. Mr Barron was not part of last week’s Aunty Invasion Force. So there. Apologies to Mr Barron.

However, MWD can reveal that last week’s little list overlooked a couple of ABC presenters who did go ashore at Anzac Cove on 25 April 2015. Namely Stephanie Brantz, Matt Brown and Richard Stubbs.

[Gee Wizz. If Mr Stubbs treated the Turks the way he treats ABC 702 staff in Melbourne, I’m sure he would have frightened quite a few TRT types into waving white flags. No wonder the Aunty Invasion Force succeeded (re which see below) – Ed]

Led by Mark Scott, who tunnelled under the Nek and led his Aunty Invasion Force (AIF) colleagues over Chunuk Bair, and on to Constantinople, TRT was taken by surprise. There was little resistance. Except from Mr Stubbs’ batman who claimed he was bullied by his own officer and plans to take up the matter with Aunty’s Human Relations department or “HR”, for short. [I hope it’s not for long. – Ed]

Nice Mr Scott soon signed a harsh peace treaty with TRT’s managing director, who goes by the name of Mr Utter Talk. Under the agreement, TRT will be forced to show the following ABC favourites, without sub-titles, for the next five years.

٠ Anything that Stephen Fry has ever presented or appeared in, including QI, Last Chance to See and Fry’s Planet World. There is no more authentic voice of Australian public broadcasting than the London based Mr Fry. Except perhaps for the London based Geoffrey Robertson – who speaks, with a cultivated Epping Accent. [I understand that an Epping Accent is the kind of accent a chap develops in Notting Hill when a chap wants to disguise the fact that a chap was born in Epping, Sydney. – Ed]

٠ Every pun and double-entendre that London based Aussie sheila Kathy Lette has ever stated on TV or radio. [This could be a very long program – Ed]. Perhaps fans of Turkish public broadcasting will be delighted to have the talented Ms Lette on TRT. After all, according to her entry in Who’s Who in Australia, Kathy Lette has an Hon. D.Arts – or honorary doctorate in arts – from the Southampton Solent University. [That’s surely impressive. Is it now “Dr Kathy Lette (for an honorary doctor she is)”? – Ed]

٠ Endless footage of Deakin University sandal-clad Scott Burchill appearing on the “Newspapers” segment on ABC 1’s News Breakfast. Dr Burchill (for a doctor he is) invariably turns up at the ABC Southbank studio in Melbourne on his way to drop a full load at the nearest tip. [Don’t be too tough on your man Burchill. After all in middle-age he has achieved the exalted rank of “senior lecturer” in something or other. Perhaps “Tip Studies”. Ed]

٠ Endless replays of Midsomer Murders and Eggheads along with the debut screening of “Nice Mr Scott Invades Turkey”.

Good news. The ill Graham Richardson – or “Richo” – presented Richo on Sky News last Wednesday. It was good to see your man Richo back in the presenter’s chair. But not so good to hear (once again) his views on The Sydney Institute’s Annual Dinner. Richo attended the TSI’s Annual Dinner in 2014 and again this year (where, last Monday, he was personally greeted by Nancy’s co-owner).

Early in the program, your man Richo declared: “I don’t pretend expertise in the areas I don’t have”. He then made the following ignorant statement. Let’s go to the transcript:

Graham Richardson: I want to have a brief talk to you about two women. Two very prominent women [Julie Bishop and Tanya Plibersek] in Australian politics who’ve had very different weeks. Julie Bishop. I went to The Sydney Institute [Annual] Dinner on Monday night. Now this is where 700 of the rich and powerful gather to applaud Liberals. That’s what The Sydney Institute Dinner does. But it’s an important thing, The Sydney Institute. I don’t denigrate it at all. It’s just that when you look around, there’s 700 people there and I could count to about ten Labor voters – which makes you feel somewhat overwhelmed.

But that having been said, last year it was addressed by Tony Abbott. He spoke for ten minutes. A desultory, ordinary speech in which very little effort had been put. And it was dreadful. It wasn’t bad, it was horrible. And then you turn around and look at Julie Bishop. Classy. Really, really, really good…

Sure Foreign Minister Julie Bishop gave a great speech at the 2015 Sydney Institute Annual Dinner. Now here are the howlers in Richo’s account of the function on Richo:

There were close to 900, not 700, guests at the dinner at The Star in Sydney. Richo’s “expert” estimate was out by 25 per cent.

In 2014 Tony Abbott spoke for close to 20 minutes – not 10 minutes as Richo alleges. Richo’s “expert” estimate was out by around 50 per cent.

The audience, as usual, was very mixed. Richo’s view that only the “rich and the powerful” gathered is just tosh. Sure, there were some wealthy types in the room. But there were also students and middle-income earners.

Richo’s has only attended two Sydney Institute dinners – in 2014 with Prime Minister Tony Abbott as guest speaker and this year with Foreign Minister Julie Bishop as guest speaker. From this limited experience, he has come to the conclusion that there is a function where those present “gather to applaud the Liberals”. Richo was not present when Labor prime ministers Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard addressed the Sydney Institute Annual Dinner in 2008 and 2011 respectively. Then the audience applauded Labor leaders.

Richo’s estimate that there were “about ten Labor voters in the room” last Monday is bunk. Absolute bunk. The audience was very diverse. Why, even the ABC and Fairfax Media took tables – neither esteemed institution is regarded as being a bastion of Liberal voters. In 2014 SBS took a table – again SBS is hardly a Labor/Greens free zone.

his overwhelmingly popular segment of Media Watch Dog usually works like this. Someone or other thinks it would be a you-beaut idea to write to Nancy’s (male) co-owner about something or other. And Hendo, being a courteous and well-brought up kind of guy, replies. Then, hey presto, the correspondence is published in MWD – much to the delight of its hundreds of thousands of readers.

There are occasions, however, when Nancy’s (male) co-owner decides to write a polite note to someone or other – who, in turn, believes that a reply is in order. Publication in MWD invariably follows. There are, alas, some occasions where Hendo sends a polite missive but does not receive the courtesy of a reply. Nevertheless, publication of this one-sided correspondence still takes place. For the record and in the public interest, of course.

As hundreds of thousands of avid readers are aware, The Guardian Australia’s deputy editor Katharine Murphy put out the following tweet on 6 June 2014 at 4.33 pm – when that issue of MWD was “hot off the press”. Here is Ms Murphy’s tweet: “Without in any way wanting to breach anyone’s human rights or free speech – why do people write emails to Gerard Henderson?” It’s a very good question. Thankfully, not everyone follows Katharine Murphy’s wise counsel.

JONATHAN GREEN & GERARD HENDERSON – ABOUT CANCER HOAXER BELLE GIBSON

MWD was barely out last week when avid reader Jonathan (“Proudly the ABC’s Sneerer-in-Chief”) Green forwarded an email to Hendo about something or other. Or not very much. Or whatever. Your man Henderson responded because (i) he is a courteous kind of chap and (ii) he hoped that Jonathan Green might finally produce some evidence for an (undocumented) assertion which he made about Julia Gillard in his 2014 book The Year My Politics Broke. Alas, your man Green failed to produce the evidence. Yet again. Here we go:

Jonathan Green to Gerard Henderson – 24 April 2015

To go to the transcript Gerard:

Jonathan Green has no idea whatsoever as to whether Belle Gibson is “clearly a troubled person” who is not able to “sort fact from fiction”.

And guess what – neither do you.

Jonathan Green

Presenter

RN Sunday Extra

Gerard Henderson to Jonathan Green – 1 May 2015

Dear Jonathan

How wonderful to hear from you – again. Your email of last Friday (after lunch) refers. Apologies for the delay in responding. Life has been busy of late.

You are oh, so sensitive to criticism. As the transcript indicates, it was you who suggested the proposition that Belle Gibson is “clearly a troubled person” who is not able to “sort fact from fiction”. You have absolutely no idea whether this statement bears any resemblance to an accurate reflection of her psychological state. In other words, once again, you just made something up.

For my own part, I simply disputed your uninformed psychological assessment. That’s all.

By the way, now you have raised the issue of “fact” from “fiction” – have you had any chance to find a source, any source, to support your assertion that when prime minister Julia Gillard promised to introduce an emissions trading scheme if re-elected at the 2010 election? As you will recall, this (undocumented) claim is made in your piss-poor book The Year My Politics Broke - see Media Watch Dog passim ad nauseam. I thought that you might have come up with some evidence in view of Nice Mr Scott’s much stated support for “the right to know”.

You may or may not be interested to know that Kerry-Anne Walsh, who made a similar allegation about Julia Gillard’s (alleged) commitment to introduce an emissions trading scheme, has gone under the bed. Ms Walsh has told me that she is too busy to play my “games”. I’m sure that she would find time for such matters if she had evidence for her (undocumented) assertion.

Lotsa love and all the best for Sunday Extra this weekend. I hope your bicycle gets you to and from the Southbank studio in safety.

Gerard Henderson

Jonathan Green to Gerard Henderson – 30 April 2015

Oh Gerard. Ad nauseam indeed.

Gerard Henderson to Jonathan Green – 1 May 2015

Jonathan

Oh dear. Why not just admit that the Julia Gillard quote in your book The Year My Politics Broke was just made up? By someone or other.

I’m sure you would find such an experience fulfilling.

Lotsa love to all your Sandalista comrades in Fitzroy, or Fitzroy North. Or is it Carlton?

Gerard

JOHN BARRON & GERARD HENDERSON – RE THE COMPOSITION OF THE AUNTY INVASION FORCE

As avid MWD readers are aware, ABC management declined to provide a list of presenters who headed off to the Dardanelles last week to report the hundredth anniversary of Gallipoli and all that.

MWD – incorrectly as it turned out – thought it saw the ABC’s Fact-Checking Unit’s John Barron on the beach at Anzac Cove. Unfortunately, Mr Barron has not done any fact-checking to find out why ABC management refused to provide details of its Gallipoli commemoration contingent. If the ABC had provided a list, the error would not have been made.

John Barron to Gerard Henderson – 27 April 2015

Dearest Gerard, your report in the Australian has been brought to my attention.

Sadly it is inaccurate. I did not go to Gallipoli. I would appreciate a correction at your earliest convenience.
Kindest regards,
John Barron
ABC News

Gerard Henderson to John Barron – 27 April 2015

My dear John
Of course I will correct-next Friday (after lunch)
ABC management regarded the composition of the Aunty Invasion Force as a matter of top secrecy. So I had to rely on Intel which is sometimes flawed – alas.
Keep morale high

Gerard Henderson

John Barron to Gerard Henderson – 27 April 2015

No worries.
Best,
John

Gerard Henderson to John Barron – 30 May 2015

Dearest John

Our recent email refers. As promised, I will correct the error about where you were on Anzac Day in Media Watch Dog today.

Perhaps you might choose to use your fact-checking skills to check why ABC management refused to provide a list of the public broadcaster’s presenters who went to Gallipoli this year. Just a thought.

After all, Nice Mr Scott made an awful lot of noise about committing the taxpayer funded public broadcaster to the “Right to Know” cause. Surely he just wasn’t spinning, was he? Come to think of it, you might fact-check this as well.

Keep morale high.

Gerard

“Gerard’s condescension levels high on #insiders this morning”

- Lenore Taylor, via Twitter, 22 February 2015

“Gerard Henderson and David Marr are on #Insiders this week. Like a political Felix and Oscar.”

- Mark Scott via Twitter 19 February 2015 at 1.10 pm

“I once called Gerard Henderson `a complete f%^wit’. I deeply regret that. I was being much too harsh on f%^wits.”

- Malcolm Farr via Twitter 14 February 2015 at 10:14 am

“Oh Gerard. You total clown.”

- Jonathan (“Proudly the ABC’s Sneerer-in-Chief”) Green on Twitter, Friday 3 October 2014, 4.31 pm [Mr Green must be an obsessive avid reader to respond so soon. – Ed]

“Good morning. All the gooder for being attacked (for thousandth time) by silly Gerard in the Oz”

- Phillip Adams via Twitter, 27 September 2014

“What troubles me most is that he [Gerard Henderson] shows such low journalistic standards, yet he is politically quite influential. He is often on Insiders. It’s hard to see why: he comes across as a crank.”

- Kate Durham as told to Crikey, 16 September 2014

“The unhinged but well spoken Gerard Henderson….”

- Bob Ellis, Table Talk blog, 10 August 2014

“Gerard Henderson and Nancy are awful human beings.”

- Alexander White, Twitter, 25 July 2014

“This is my regularly scheduled “Oh Gerard” tweet for every time he appears on #insiders”

- Josh Taylor, senior journalist for ZDNet, Twitter, 20 July 2014

“…that fu-kwitted Gerard “Gollum” Henderson….”

- Mike (“I’ll pour the gin”) Carlton, via Twitter, 12 July 2014

“[Gerard Henderson is a] silly prick”

- Mike (“I’ll pour the gin”) Carlton – tweeted Saturday 27 June 2014 at 4.15 pm, i.e. after lunch

“If Gerard Henderson had run Beria’s public relations Stalin’s death would have been hidden for a year and Nikita [Khrushchev] and co would have been shot”

- Laurie Ferguson via Twitter - 22 June 2014 [By-line: Mr Ferguson is a member of the House of Representatives who speaks in riddles.]

“[Gerard Henderson] is the Eeyore of Australian public life”

- Mike Seccombe in The [Boring] Saturday Paper – 21 June 2014

“Without in any way wanting to breach anyone’s human rights or free speech – why do people write emails to Gerard Henderson?”

- Katharine Murphy, Twitter, Friday 6 June 2014

“[Gerard Henderson is] an unhinged prick”

- Mike Carlton, Twitter, Thursday 12 June 2014

“There’s no sense that Gerard Henderson has any literary credentials at all.”

- Anonymous comment quoted, highlighted and presumably endorsed by Jason (“I’m a left-leaning luvvie”) Steger, The Age, 31 May 2014

On boyfriend’s insistence, watching the notorious Gerard Henderson/@Kate_McClymont Lateline segment. GH: What an odd, angry gnome of a man.

- Benjamin Law, via Twitter, Thursday 17 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm

Can’t believe I just spent my Thursday evening with a video recap of Gerard Henderson. I’m a f-cking moron.

- Benjamin Law, via Twitter, Thursday 17 Apr 2014, 11:23 pm

“[Gerard Henderson is an] unhinged crank”

- Mike Carlton, via Twitter, Saturday 29 March 2014, 4.34 pm

Complete stranger comes up to me: that Gerard Henderson’s a xxxxxx.

– Jonathan Green via Twitter, 8 February 2014

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
And now for the latest edition of First Dog on the Moon:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pickled Tink posted:

Black and white? Did he lose his crayons?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Print this out, roll it up, and jam it in your loving skull. Just link it next time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Gerard Henderson: Waleed Aly is an academic with a leftist axe to grind.

Curse those academic leftists, they're all smart and stuff, my axe is shinier nyah nyah. He came so close to wishing Phil Adams dead too, maybe next time.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Black and white? Did he lose his crayons?

Yeah no one ever used black and white as symbolic of a mentality I guess, and what's with that rolling a big stone up a hill, has he gone all Greek or something.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 1, 2015

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

YOU don't care.

I also don't care.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ScreamingLlama posted:

YOU don't care.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I also don't care.

I don't give a poo poo or a flying gently caress or even a rat's arse.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

I didn't mean unsourced in the sense of lacking a url, which I could google easily

I mean unsourced becuase lets all believe 'fiona'

You're right, we should instead believe your heavily sourced arguments.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pickled Tink posted:

Once again, first dog loses nothing if you reduce it to 2 panels.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

Bravo :golfclap:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jumpingmanjim posted:

GERARD HENDERSON’S MEDIA WATCH DOG – ISSUE NO. 267
1 MAY 2015

Ahh, nothing heralds the weekend like Jumpingmanjim's huge freaking dump of MWD.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

norp posted:

That was a good First Dog actually

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So whats going down in the Melbourne CBD?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

I suppose, assuming you like ignoring the plight of Aboriginal people, abused women, and asylum seekers.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

protest against forced closure of remote indigenous communities I believe.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

norp posted:

Can't argue with that to be honest.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Melbourne Bitter on tap

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Pickled Tink posted:

I suppose, assuming you like ignoring the plight of Aboriginal people, abused women, and asylum seekers.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Can't argue with that to be honest.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Negligent posted:

the tldr version of what i said is that living in cambodia with free healthcare (inc mental health), accomodation, a cash payment etc etc is better than being stuck on some godforsaken offshore hellcamp

And what everyone else was saying that if we could offer them the best we should give them the best. It's a little pie in the sky thinking but Australia is massively wealthy, and there's so much more we could do between what we are doing now and what is within Australia's possibility. We should proactively improving the world rather than reacting pitilessly when the people who need the most help in the world knock on our door, and you accuse them of being picky because they came to our house first.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Belljar Spotted

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pickled Tink posted:

The thing is that first dog sits there and writes an essay listing all of these things, instead of implying them through metaphor and symbology.
This is why it is a "bad cartoon" and most of his panels are worthless. Even when it's a "good first dog" it's still a pretty drat average cartoon.

I do freely admit that you probably have to already know what he's talking about to get my 2 panel version. It was hyperbole to make a point.

The reason that people love pope's cartoons so much is that they are rarely multiple panels and he still fits more commentary in the cartoon than the wordiest first dog.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

norp posted:

The thing is that first dog sits there and writes an essay listing all of these things, instead of implying them through metaphor and symbology.
This is why it is a "bad cartoon" and most of his panels are worthless. Even when it's a "good first dog" it's still a pretty drat average cartoon.

I do freely admit that you probably have to already know what he's talking about to get my 2 panel version. It was hyperbole to make a point.

The reason that people love pope's cartoons so much is that they are rarely multiple panels and he still fits more commentary in the cartoon than the wordiest first dog.
The problem with Pope is that his cartoons are not easily accessible to a wide audience who don't follow the news with a fervour that is typically represented in this thread. Most people either don't have the time or care to read in depth into issues like these to be able to grasp all, or even some of what a Pope cartoon is trying to say. I suspect that part of the reason the thread likes his stuff so much is because it makes them feel clever for having figured it all out.

First Dog takes the other route, which is wordy with goofy pictures to provide some background and explanation of the issues at hand. It is far more accessible to the general public than Pope and more useful as a tool of informing people of horrible horrible poo poo. Since you already know about many of the things that he spells out, you see them as pointless and superfluous, but you and others in this thread are not representative of the level of political awareness generally.

They are both valid and useful forms of political expression and commentary, it is just that First Dog reaches out to a larger audience through a non traditional and more wordy method. As a result, I feel that it is far more useful than something like the stuff David Pope puts out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If people in this thread of all places can't be hosed reading that many words do you really think your average uninformed bogan is going to?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

If people in this thread of all places can't be hosed reading that many words do you really think your average uninformed bogan is going to?
Given the height of political discourse in the last auspol thread was telling people to drink pee and huff farts while incessantly shouting at inane and obvious trolls, I strongly suspect that this threads population is not representative of Australian readers. Something for which I am profoundly thankful.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
gently caress me Gerard Henderson is a pathetic, petty, anal and petulant lump of a person.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

HookShot posted:

People in this thread don't like fdotm because it spells out stuff they already know.

The average uninformed bogan sees a cartoon. They like cartoons.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Brisbane to host next year's World Science Festival.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Brisbane to host next year's World Science Festival.

Science Minister opening it no doubt.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Auspol May: First Man Up the Dog Edition

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Frogmanv2 posted:

People in this thread don't like fdotm because it spells out stuff they already know.

The average uninformed bogan sees a cartoon. They like cartoons.

the average uninformed bogan doesn't look at fdotm and see a cartoon, they see an essay which someone has scribbled on.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I'm just going to put it out there and say police shouldn't be posting pictures of things they found at suspects houses to twitter.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Guess the Author posted:

The protesters could meet in a park, on a pavement or on an oval to make their point. If they really had to block a road they could chose some quieter one, and some time that wasn’t peak hour.

This is an aggressive act - one of sheer bastardry - seemingly calculated to cause maximum annoyance to the maximum number of people. I smell the socialist movement at work.

So who permitted this protest at this place? And if no permission was given, will the law against wilfully blocking a road be upheld?

Oh, and how is that reconciliation movement going, by the way? It’s already robbed us of our right to speak freely, and now to move freely, too.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Yeah blocking traffic during peak hour should be a jailable offence.

Just because a bunch of worthless lefties want to whinge about something, people who actually have jobs and contribute to society are being punished and prevented from getting home to their families.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Although I don't mind the idea of the thread all joining the democrats and voting to expel the twenty existing members.

I'm interested in this.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

theperminator posted:

Just because a bunch of worthless lefties want to whinge about something, people who actually have jobs and contribute to society are being punished and prevented from getting home to their families.

I'm not hear to subsidise their leisure time with protest free roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

theperminator posted:

I want to get home from work and to my family and I don't care if people protest or if I'm late, because I'm a grown man who can recognise it is an issue requiring recognition.

And yes, I'm getting home very late tonight, but that's ok.

• Locked thread