Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
There was one time he owned Craig pretty hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Big Willy Style posted:

There was one time he owned Craig pretty hard

was that anidav or lizard combatant?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I thought it was piss drinking related but that's taboo now I think

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You guys give me too little credit. I've been clever just as often as I've been irredeemably dumb.

It's Yin-Yang.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

[citation needed]

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Corinthian helmets are stupid for the following reasons:
- you can't see your feet, or where you're putting your feet where you're walking;
- you can't drink a beer in one without a straw.

Waste of bronze, Madame Speaker.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
i havent seen you winning any nobel prizes mate

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

And yeah, defenders of Western Judeo-Christian heritage don't know jack poo poo about Western history, Christianity or Judaism.

Quoted for burning truth.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
More proof the 457 scheme is a scam and of great use to criminals.

quote:

Organised crime syndicates are suspected of exploiting Australia's 457 worker visa scheme to recruit members for their global drug trafficking networks.

The Sunday Age can reveal that Italian national Bruno Hajko was allowed to enter and stay in Australia on a 457 visa despite his close family links to an Eastern European crime syndicate that has been under investigation by the Australian Crime Commission and Australian Federal Police.

Law enforcement sources have expressed disbelief at the ease with which Mr Hajko gained access to the country without any basic vetting or oversight by immigration authorities.

The Department of Immigration has conceded it does not require mandatory background and criminal record checks for the tens of thousands of foreign workers who have entered Australia each year since the contentious visa program began in 1996.

The department has also failed to investigate links between 457 visa applicants and Australian-based family members involved in serious criminal enterprises despite spending billions of dollars on border protection.

The Border Protection Farce is only looking at refugees, and not the criminals coming in the front door.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Pickled Tink posted:

Finally, at long last, we have our First Dog.

:australia:

These cartoons make my eyes glaze over like they were technical manuals for a stormwater drain or something. I thought the point in cartoons was that the use of pictures can eliminate the need for a bunch of words to get a point across.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

No one's actually going to disagree with you on that point.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, you're late on the hate-on-first-dog train IWC

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Cartoon posted:

UNESCO chicken out and don't put the Great Barrier reff on the IN DANGER list http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2015/s4245482.htm

Yesterday's courier mail

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

"high cost of hubris and can-do factor "

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I hardly ever get to see morning television and I just love the fear mongering on Today this morning.

"International students crowding the public school system and putting YOUR child's future at risk"

Like it's probably standard fare but I rarely get to see it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Hello thread.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Big Willy Style posted:

Roman history is very vast and encompasses 2000 odd years up to the fall of Constantinople to the ottomans in 1453 and they legions became a border defense forces rather than a expansionist force that the legionaries after the Marius reforms were. Roman soldiers in the very early days of the republic or the first kings may have looked closer to the soldiers displayed in this picture than what the mainstream thinks of a Roman soldier (scutum , pilum and gkadius with lorica segmenting.) These defenders of western culture dont know this though

Yeah there was a lot of Greek influence particularly on the early Roman civilisation. Most people don't know that among other things, the Greeks colonised and conquered places all around the Mediterranean, including parts of Italy. Their cultural and military influence was immense.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Man, this guy's marriage sucks.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cleretic posted:

Man, this guy's marriage sucks.

Miranda Devine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I guess infertile people can't get married. Nor people beyond the age of reproduction. Or people who don't want kids either I guess. Or cultures who don't have western family units.

Also I guess a 2 parent unit is for some reason the optimal child upbringing method compared to say the small village/community stuff that worked pretty well for a long time before that.

But hey, taming those sexual urges :biotruths:

EDIT: Quiverfull was right. Ban all contraception within marriages.

EDIT2: No marriages until someone is pregnant. We don't want it reflecting romantic interest between adults. Can't get married until you've procreated, then you must marry that person. Also Polygamy if you have children by multiple partners.

EDIT3: I'm starting to think Miranda Devine may not have fully thought through her opinions.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 31, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

She's trying to sell newspapers not develop a theory of marriage.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Looking for logic in Miranda Devine's columns is like looking for one of Anime Dave's fabled "good posts" amongst his posting history

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The sexual tension between Gerard Henderson and David Marr on insiders today is just incredible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

adamantium|wang posted:

Miranda Devine.

Man, this woman's marriage sucks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Murodese posted:

Looking for logic in Miranda Devine's columns is like looking for one of Anime Dave's fabled "good posts" amongst his posting history

That is extremely unfair on Anidav. I've seen him post good.

Miranda Devine is well yeah....

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

'Always' defined here as post 2004

hooman posted:

That is extremely unfair on Anidav. I've seen him post good.

Gas leak on the rig?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Leunig a pro anti-vaxxer (And FDotM enthusiast)

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rnafternoons/michael-leunig-on-life-art-and-vaccinations/6506570

-/-

While all the controversy about stripping citizenship goes on including apparently 2/3 of Tory (shithead) backbenchers are keen for it to go through:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-30/federal-member-for-wannon-dan-tehan/6508950

Now lets just back up a minute here; this is support for the incredible exjudicial stripping of citizenship without due process by the hand of a minister. Nobody who isn't a terrible authoritarian monster could think this was a good idea. Unlike the budget however this just serves to mask that fact that the 'parent' legislation, that uses exactly the same process to strip dual citizens of their rights and/or liberty is apparently A-OKay!

How did we get here?

I'm loathed to quote Laura Tingle but:

"That is, it is accepted as a given that the national security debate is conducted as a very,very dangerous game of chicken between the political parties: keep rolling out more and more outrageous bits of legislation in the belief that, at some point, Labor will crack, be unable to stomach the shifting weightings in the balance between national security and individual rights, and oppose the measures. Bingo! The government can then paint Labor as 'soft on terror'."

More like soft in the head on terror. Look at the numbers. Even if we could find a thousand motivated Islamic extremists in Australia surely our ten thousand odd (6k in AFP, 2k in ASIO, sundry state police etc) counter terror experts should be able to keep them in check? Well as evidenced by Monis apparently not because they are so utterly incompetent. Which unfortunately begs the question as to how one could think that, unsupervised, they are capable of making worthwhile decisions about who deserves citizenship.

-/-

This isn't the only place where rights are being stripped apparently, with no great fanfare, the laws that enable nurses and health workers who have been on Nauru to be jailed if they speak out are law as of today. I can't find a source but it was mentioned on ABC News 24.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-26/hundreds-of-assaults-reported-in-detention-centres-gov-says/6499000

quote:

More than 280 assaults reported in detention centres in three months, Immigration Department reveals By political correspondent Emma Griffiths Updated Wed at 10:43am

The Immigration Department has revealed there have been fifteen allegations of sexual assault — two involving children — and 270 reports of other types of assault in immigration detention centres in the past three months.

The statistics were revealed by department officials at a Senate estimates hearing on Tuesday afternoon. Senators were told the two reports of child sexual assault had been made inside onshore detention centres. Another nine alleged sexual assaults involving adults also occurred onshore. Four instances of alleged sexual assault were reported in facilities on Nauru and Manus Island. An overwhelming number of other forms of assault were reported in Australian-based centres, with 239 allegations involving adults, and 11 involving children.

Another 20 allegations of assault were made in the Manus Island centre.

The committee was also told one employee on Manus Island was dismissed as a result of an earlier sexual assault investigation. In the past 10 months, there have also been hundreds of instances of self-harm in detention centres, including 48 cases involving children in Australia, and 26 on Nauru. As at the end of March, 124 children were being detained in Australia, some in community-based facilities. The Nauru detention centre is home to 103 children, 126 women and 489 men.

Sexual abuse of women and children on Nauru is the focus of another Senate committee that met for the first time last week.

Oh..

http://hrlc.org.au/nauru-should-lift-the-veil-of-secrecy-on-human-rights/

quote:

“Australia should be a positive force for human rights protections in the region. Instead, its asylum seeker policies have been a catalyst for regression,” said Mr Webb.

“At times about 10 percent of the people on Nauru have been asylum seekers sent there by Australia. They’ve been held in mandatory and indefinite detention in clear breach of international law. Controversy and concern around their treatment has contributed to Nauru’s deterioration on matters of access, transparency and respect for the rule of law,” Mr Webb said.

Many of the key recommendations from Nauru’s last Universal Periodic Review in 2011 are yet to be implemented.

“After its last UPR, Nauru committed to allowing greater UN access and to strengthening its legal and judicial sectors, yet on these matters Nauru has actually regressed. In addition to imposing barriers to the UN, NGOs and journalists visiting Nauru, the entire judiciary was effectively removed in January 2014, undermining both the actual and perceived independence of the courts,” said Mr Webb.

“ISHR and the HRLC are particularly concerned about the imposition of gag clauses by Australia in contracts pertaining to Nauru and reports of retribution and reprisals against those who speak out about human rights abuses in the country,” ISHR’s Mr Lynch said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-15/nauru-government-introduces-law-restricting-free/6472658

quote:

Nauru Government introduces law restricting free speech Posted 15 May 2015, 11:46am

The Nauru Government has been accused of breaching its international obligations by introducing a law restricting free speech. The government has amended the nation’s criminal code to make undesirable comments offenses punishable by up to 7 years in jail.

It's probably too late to stop the worst excesses of this fascist regime1 now. It's not like there weren't clear warning signs with Tampa, the Pacific Solution, Children Overboard (etc.) Ha ha suck poo poo?

[1]The Australian Government. Just in case there was any confusion. Maybe we can be stopped before we invade Poland Indonesia New Zealand Norfolk Island.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Marriage has always been the union of a man and a woman for centuries been the ownership of a woman for the purposes of providing an heir. Where's the sense of tradition.

But wait the terrible opinions don't stop there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-28/jensen-i-oppose-same-sex-marriage-and-no-im-not-a-bigot/6502850

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Murodese posted:

Mate. Don't you think this Anidav burning gimmick is making the steak overcooked?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Miranda Devine's article is hilarious, holy poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Matthew Beet posted:

I hardly ever get to see morning television and I just love the fear mongering on Today this morning.

Sounds more like Today Tonight.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Anidav posted:

Mate. Don't you think this Anidav burning gimmick is making the steak overcooked?

I think the Anidav burning gimmick should use actual fire.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well that's why you're in jail Splode. Arson is a crime.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Anidav posted:

Mate. Don't you think this Anidav burning gimmick is making the labor membership card overcooked?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah nah, as someone who's lost a relative to actual flame, you can stop using that sort of analogy thanks.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
Sorry tits

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tithin posted:

Yeah nah, as someone who's lost a relative to actual flame, you can stop using that sort of analogy thanks.

Yeah nah

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

As someone who's lost a relative to a tragic tithing accident,

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My grandfather literally died in a loving deliberately lit fire. But oooooooh lets make a loving joke about it because you're so loving edgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

tithin posted:

My grandfather literally died in a loving deliberately lit fire. But oooooooh lets make a loving joke about it because you're so loving edgy.

My uncle was stabbed to death and I don't stop people making stabbing analogies. Stop being a dick.

• Locked thread